Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saving up for a Steyr(?)

Saving up for a Steyr(?)

Hi all!

I'm currently saving up for (I think, anyway) a Steyr for some FT/HFT fun.

Any recommendations on a rifle for a big bloke? As close to a grand as possible.
    War does not determine who is right; War determines who is left.

Huntsman07 is offline I'm just a pecker who lives in the hills with too many guns.
    daystate air ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman07 View Post
    daystate air ranger
    Okay, that's the second time in five minutes someone has recommended a Daystate(Harlequin recommended an FAC Daystate) to me. Wonder if someone is telling me something?!?!?!?

Huntsman07 is offline I'm just a pecker who lives in the hills with too many guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoves View Post
    Okay, that's the second time in five minutes someone has recommended a Daystate(Harlequin recommended an FAC Daystate) to me. Wonder if someone is telling me something?!?!?!?
    yeh me, get a daystate, much more gun for they money

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman07 View Post
    yeh me, get a daystate, much more gun for they money
    True....not really a practical hunting tool is it? A steyr, I mean.

aa ev2 mk2 bud....very good rifle indeed

Have you had a look at this one in the sales section ??

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310050

If only I had the cash

Rob
    TX 200's

Quote Originally Posted by Rob.1 View Post
    Have you had a look at this one in the sales section ??

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310050

If only I had the cash

Rob
    I'm still saving..doesn't help that I get tempted far too often in the sales section..after yesterday's purchase, I'm back down to £630

Ah, well. Have to do more selling on the auction site!

Daystate for HFT But for FT an EV2 MKII
    Air Arms Ev2 MKII, Big Nikko, lots of luck!
    Air Logic Genesis .177

Any recommendations on a rifle for a big bloke? As close to a grand as possible.
    Something on the heavy side?. These FT rifles are often rather heavy, but not very substantial in comparison to the old' walnut and bluing..
    The Steyr is probably the lightest available, well not much doubt there really.

It's generally considered to be a top contender for best of it's kind, and I'd agree after having one very nice one for some time.
    It may well need some internal modification to function properly, but all of them require this, the Steyr far less in comparison to something like a Walther.

Daystate just aren't the thing for FT, at least the modern one's ("although the MK4 may change this"). The Air Ranger would really not be a good choice, and the Airwolf even more so, but for HFT they are acceptable. If you really want an FT Daystate, I'd say go for a CRX myself.

Had several Air Rangers, and the stocks where not very suitable for target work, and neither was the build of the rifles. I tried quite a few different forms of shooting with them and quickly gave up, despite trying very hard indeed.

The EV2 can be quite dodgy indeed. Try searching them up on here; limitless info. An EV2 has been used very successfully in FT however, and been used to take the World title several times, but it was a modified example by a chap who was pretty much a legend at working with them; he no longer offers services. One working quite well in HFT too, but again modified this time by Ben Taylor IIRC.

If you are going to buy a top target rifle, budget more for it's modification rather than purchase; that is what will make it.
    A sad fact, but very often true.

Charlts is offline I'm not the Messiah, I'm King of the Creedbros!
    Leicester, Wigston, 171.27 miles North of Calais!

Rifle

Hi all!

I'm currently saving up for (I think, anyway) a Steyr for some FT/HFT fun.

Will it be a dedicated target setup? There's nothing to stop you using a meccano rifle for hunting, I prefer using mine as I'm most familiar with it.

How big is big? I'm a little bit bigger than most and find Steyr's are about the right weight and balance, same as a Dominator with a junior or custom cylinder.

I wouldn't bother with a Ranger as the stock just isn't suitable for an out and out FT rig and the trigger isn't a par on a European target rifle. Get yourself along to an HFT/FT meet and have a go on what other people are using who are of a similar build. I find sitting in the FT position difficult with my HFT rig as the stock's a bit shallow, if I was going to do FT proper I'd want a couple of inches extra depth.

How much have you got for a scope? FT and HFT have opposite requirements for glass and that's as important as your choice of rifle. If you do get chance to get along to a meet drop me a pm and I'll bring along as many guns for you to try as I can.

Ryan
    The toxicity of lead varies, depending upon the weight of its doseage and its velocity!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlts View Post
    How big is big? I'm a little bit bigger than most and find Steyr's are about the right weight and balance, same as a Dominator with a junior or custom cylinder.
    6'5", 25 stone...and not that fat

I think I'd prefer HFT, though FT seems like great fun too!

I've already got a scope, a Varmint II 6-24x44, which I hope will do me.

True....not really a practical hunting tool is it? A steyr, I mean.
    mine is see phot in siggy
    Last edited by psycho; 24-09-2008 at 04:55 PM.

The EV2 can be quite dodgy indeed.
    Rubbish! if you believe everything you read on here then you would never end up buying anything! Its luck of the draw what ever you buy really! my EV2 has never faultered in the 12 months of having it! shot it in all weathers and still spot on! and i know of several others at my club & other clubs that have just been the same! However! i have also heard of a few problems with a couple! one guy on here from our club 'swiftyx2' had lots of trouble with his! But Bill at A/Arms ended up sending him a new gun great after sales service indeed!
    Whatever gun you choose there is always a chance its a Friday gun!
    Try them all if possible and buy the one that suits you!
    Good luck with the purchase pal and possibly see you on the FT circuit one day!
    Lee
    Air Arms Ev2 MKII, Big Nikko, lots of luck!
    Air Logic Genesis .177

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    Go to a club and try FT/HFT before you even think of buying a thousand pound rifle. As a happy side effect of going to the club it's likely that you'll be able to try pretty much all the guns available without having to pay a penny. Do not buy a target rifle blind, you'll be very lucky to end up with the right rifle if you do.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!