Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hw 35 E .177.

A Vulcan can group but that wasn't my question. I'll put it on a thread: tap loaders.

Quote Originally Posted by yoshiwolves View Post
    i must admitt , i have a .177 35luxus with the leather piston head and i am having a hard time getting that past about 9.6ft lb , and thats even with a maccari kit fitted,
    if you do get the chance to fit better fitting spring guides i would strongly recomend it, makes it a lot sweeter to fire, a lot less twang
    ATB
    paul
    Hi Paul
    It could be that you have one of the bogey 35's with a knackered cylinder end plug. You can't see this fault but it soaks up lots of power, Rustybuzz posted about this a while ago and I sort of hijacked one of Clomp99's recent threads when I had the same problem.
    Fire your gun.
    Then the next time you cock it listen at the breach for air escaping just as the piston is raised.
    This will be the air trapped in the void in the breach.

I would do one of those linky type things to help you find it but I'm completely computer illiterate and slightly slydexic.

All the best Mick

hi mick, thanks for that, , i did read the post when it was on and did wonder if i had that problem, next time i fire it i will check as you say,
    atb
    paul
    hw 80custom, , hw 35 luxus, hw35 std,

Theoben piston crowns are still available for weihrauchs and they definatly put power up!

Quote Originally Posted by dave blakemore View Post
    Theoben piston crowns are still available for weihrauchs and they definatly put power up!
    You should try one of mine Dave and they only cost 2p to replace the seal.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Hi again Ant
    Has it got a longer stroke than the old type piston then ?
    The old one was about 55 mm stroke.

All the best Mick
    the next time I strip it I will check things out, the cocking slot was a bit longer as well, it feels like a shorter stroke, very fast lock time, AFTER 200 SHOTS THE POWER HAS DROPED by 50 fps I think the TITAN SPRING has set a bit, but puting pellet on pellet at 25 yds with the opens,

PS I think I cut a bit to much off the TITAN spring,,, the SAGA continues

Hi Ant
    I've managed to tame my 35 at long last.
    I put in a cut down Airsporter spring in the end and managed to get the power down to 11.5 ftlb.
    I'm still not happy with it yet though.
    I may try reducing the stroke and going back to the cut down Ox.
    Mind you I may just throw it back in the cupboard and go back to using my car boot sale Mercury Bitsa, It's easier to carry around for hours on end.

Have you tried adding weight to the piston yet to see if it brings the power back up a bit?

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Hi Ant
    I've managed to tame my 35 at long last.
    I put in a cut down Airsporter spring in the end and managed to get the power down to 11.5 ftlb.
    I'm still not happy with it yet though.
    I may try reducing the stroke and going back to the cut down Ox.
    Mind you I may just throw it back in the cupboard and go back to using my car boot sale Mercury Bitsa, It's easier to carry around for hours on end.

Have you tried adding weight to the piston yet to see if it brings the power back up a bit?

All the best Mick
    YES MATE,adding weight brought power DOWN, adding 3mil of pre-load to the rear,the spring went coil bound and would not cock, but I have a plan

Hi Ant
    I don't know if I'd be able to live with 10.6 ftlbs from such a heavy old gun, I have Meteors which run at 11.7 ftlbs.

The Government allow you up to 12 ftlbs and it would be rude not to use it.

The HW35 was designed to be heavy to absorb the recoil produced by a powerful action. Until I managed to sort mine out I just couldn't see the point in using such a heavy gun if it had no power to speak of.

I hope you manage to get the old girl sorted.

All the best Mick

you make a fair point Mick, My plan er,,, did not quite go to plan, 720fps but very little pre-load on the spring, I would have been quit happy if it had stayed on 10.5/10.6ftlb, at a recent HFT shoot at TAWD VALE I used a 97k .177 doing 743 with weighed 8.5grn and did quite well.

Hi again Ant
    Before I found a cheap cure for my HW35 cylinder it seemed like everything I did to up the power actually lowered it.
    I was also never happy with the lost volume in the piston head I bought from Knibbs', it seemed like it had a very deep groove in it, that's one reason I machined up a piston head to accept an O ring.
    Can anyone tell me if genuine Weihrauch HW35 piston seals are red ?
    The Titan mainspring I bought had loads of preload and produced loads of recoil - not nice, that's why I ended up using an old cut down OX spring with no Preload.
    With a few other tweaks I got to the point were I needed to loose 4ftlb's to be under the limit.
    Having now fitted a cutdown Airsporter spring I'm legal again.

Even though a .177" barrel is less Mechanically efficient than a .22" barrel when fitted to the same springer action it should in theory be quite easy to obtain 12ftlb out of a .177" HW35 unless something is drastically wrong.
    Weihrauch actually produced different springs for use in .177 and .22 guns.

I don't like to say this Ant but I'm getting that feeling of deja vu.

All the best Mick