Thread: How dangerous is black powder

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How dangerous is black powder

I was thinking of getting the permit as real BP is so much cheaper than (pyrodex) £11(£25). I've herd that it is really dangerous, and even knocking you're power flask could set it off.
    I don't wan't a substance in my house either that could go BANG!! at any given moment in time. Some people say however that it is a stable as pyrodex, just easier to ignite.

Opinions?

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by rizzini View Post
    I was thinking of getting the permit as real BP is so much cheaper than (pyrodex) £11(£25). I've herd that it is really dangerous, and even knocking you're power flask could set it off.
    I don't wan't a substance in my house either that could go BANG!! at any given moment in time. Some people say however that it is a stable as pyrodex, just easier to ignite.

Opinions?
    I think it can act as an explosive, rather than a propellant like Pyrodex or nitro. So accidental ignition can result in an explosion rather than a fire. It was used as a blasting material for hundreds of years and I believe the 'power-monkey' had a relatively short lifespan. Monkey make mistake tamping it down, Monkey go 'BOOM'.

Here is some info on differences

http://www.chuckhawks.com/difference_black_powders.htm

Black powder

Hi

Black powder is extremely safe if stored and handled correctly.
    It will not ignite unless there is a source of a spark or from, grit, flame, or static.
    It cannot be detonated by pressure at all. Black powder only burns on it's surface area and does not change molecularly like a high explosive when a detonation wave is passed through it.
    Store it in sealed container, take care not to introduce static, (nylon y fronts, etc!) or pouring between plastic containers from great heights and don't use near the fire or when smokin' a fag an it'll be as safe as houses!

Hope that helps

regards Steve, (ex army felix)

The BP substitutes (Pyrodex & Triple 7) are licence free and no 'special' storage rules apply.

Black powder is an explosive & you need 2 licences - one to buy it, another to transport it (ie: to and from the range). In addition you need an 'approved' storage box, to a very specicic design. Cheapest I've seen for these is about £90 but if you have a look at the BP section on here you'll find a set of plans for a DIY box.

The only way to set if off is to heat it beyond the flashpoint of sulphur.

Can't explode unless you contain it but can give you a nasty burn.

Hitting/grinding it reduces the grain size.

Compressing it turns it into one solid lump.

Static can't set it off and here's da proof... http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_...ks/sparks.html

It is contained in a powder flask. It would be like having a bomb around your neck

[QUOTE=John Bedford;3071309]The BP substitutes (Pyrodex & Triple 7) are licence free and no 'special' storage rules apply.

Has this changed as I treid to purchase some at my local RFD but was told that I now need a ticket of some sort

Can anyone tell me when this change was made??

Thanks ...

No change as far as buying the powder is concerned, but were you trying to buy any primers as well ? You need to show a firearm or shot gun certificate for that.

[QUOTE=Rick O'Shay;3543730]
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bedford View Post
    The BP substitutes (Pyrodex & Triple 7) are licence free and no 'special' storage rules apply.

Has this changed as I treid to purchase some at my local RFD but was told that I now need a ticket of some sort

Can anyone tell me when this change was made??

Thanks ...
    Go someplace else - you are being conned.

ALL BP substitutes are classed as propellants - no certificate or licence is necessary. Unless your local dealer is being a prat, of course.....

tac
    Last edited by tacfoley; 08-06-2009 at 01:53 PM.

Black powder is an explosive & you need 2 licences - one to buy it, another to transport it (ie: to and from the range). In addition you need an 'approved' storage box, to a very specicic design. Cheapest I've seen for these is about £90 but if you have a look at the BP section on here you'll find a set of plans for a DIY box.
    My Dad makes nicely finished boxes that meet all MSER 2005 regulations. He is contactable on 07894 340212 or email to blackpowderstoragebox@gmail.com.

He has 100% feedback and comments saying police check was all fine.

In addition you need an 'approved' storage box, to a very specicic design. Cheapest I've seen for these is about £90 but if you have a look at the BP section on here you'll find a set of plans for a DIY box.
    I have searched and cannot find this.

Anyone take me by the hand and show it to me.

br22

Quote Originally Posted by stevef View Post
    It will not ignite unless there is a source of a spark or from, grit, flame, or static.
    It cannot be detonated by pressure at all.
    Some shells in the early days of MLR artillery - 1860s and thereabouts - didn't have a fuze. The BP bursting charge was loose in a shaloon bag inside the shell, and relied on friction between the granules on impact to fire it. This must've worked often enough in some conditions to have been adopted - but what you say is true in everyday circumstances .

Of course it's safe enough under proper storage where a proper 'H&S' attitude is taken.

But note the incidence of stories of accidental firing in this thread, and consider the fact that all of them are about black powder, and none are about anything else....

Regards,
    MikB
    ...history... is, indeed, little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind. (Edward Gibbon: Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)