Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How dangerous is black powder

How dangerous is black powder

I was thinking of getting the permit as real BP is so much cheaper than (pyrodex) £11(£25). I've herd that it is really dangerous, and even knocking you're power flask could set it off.
    I don't wan't a substance in my house either that could go BANG!! at any given moment in time. Some people say however that it is a stable as pyrodex, just easier to ignite.

Opinions?

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by rizzini View Post
    I was thinking of getting the permit as real BP is so much cheaper than (pyrodex) £11(£25). I've herd that it is really dangerous, and even knocking you're power flask could set it off.
    I don't wan't a substance in my house either that could go BANG!! at any given moment in time. Some people say however that it is a stable as pyrodex, just easier to ignite.

Opinions?
    I think it can act as an explosive, rather than a propellant like Pyrodex or nitro. So accidental ignition can result in an explosion rather than a fire. It was used as a blasting material for hundreds of years and I believe the 'power-monkey' had a relatively short lifespan. Monkey make mistake tamping it down, Monkey go 'BOOM'.

Here is some info on differences

http://www.chuckhawks.com/difference_black_powders.htm

Black powder

Hi

Black powder is extremely safe if stored and handled correctly.
    It will not ignite unless there is a source of a spark or from, grit, flame, or static.
    It cannot be detonated by pressure at all. Black powder only burns on it's surface area and does not change molecularly like a high explosive when a detonation wave is passed through it.
    Store it in sealed container, take care not to introduce static, (nylon y fronts, etc!) or pouring between plastic containers from great heights and don't use near the fire or when smokin' a fag an it'll be as safe as houses!

Hope that helps

regards Steve, (ex army felix)

The BP substitutes (Pyrodex & Triple 7) are licence free and no 'special' storage rules apply.

Black powder is an explosive & you need 2 licences - one to buy it, another to transport it (ie: to and from the range). In addition you need an 'approved' storage box, to a very specicic design. Cheapest I've seen for these is about £90 but if you have a look at the BP section on here you'll find a set of plans for a DIY box.

The only way to set if off is to heat it beyond the flashpoint of sulphur.

Can't explode unless you contain it but can give you a nasty burn.

Hitting/grinding it reduces the grain size.

Compressing it turns it into one solid lump.

Static can't set it off and here's da proof... http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_...ks/sparks.html

It is contained in a powder flask. It would be like having a bomb around your neck

If a powder flask is sufficiently mistreated to 'go off' then its more like a blow torch out of the end rather than a grenade.

A guy down my range decided it would be a great idea to loosen up his caked powder in his flask by stabbing a screwdriver down the spout - this eventually managed to ignite the powder and the blow-torch effect then happened and burned off the front of his clothes. Think he only lost one layer of skin so was very lucky indeed !

It is so much cheaper than pyrodex and I'm only on a student budget, so it might be worth me getting a permit then.

Has anyone visted Fenland Rural Sports. I have heard it sell BP supplies.

Quote Originally Posted by rizzini View Post
    It is so much cheaper than pyrodex and I'm only on a student budget, so it might be worth me getting a permit then.
    Are you sure it's so much cheaper? I know a lot of blokes in my club have gone across to the substitutes as they can't get BP through the local dealers and the dealers are not likely to be stocking it because of the cost now associated with transportation and storage and the customer won't stomach having those costs passed on.......

Black powder is very safe, if used with respect and all rules are followed as with any flamable or explosive material. Have you ever heard of a Banger, or any other firework spontaniously going off without any outside source of fire or heat ?, they use black powder in them (plus different elements to make all those pretty colours in the sky ), but seriously, it is as safe as any other BP propellant. I know as you have said, BP is cheaper than Pyrodex and Triple 7 for that matter, but have you tried cleaning a BP revolver that's had black powder used in it, compared to one that's used Pyrodex or Triple 7 ?
    The gun that's had Pyrodex used in it is far more easier to clean and one that's used Triple 7, is even easier to clean than the Pyrodex, plus they are much less corrosive than black powder, so cost is a small thing to weigh up against the advantages of using the other two, also as mentioned earlier, you don't need a licence to buy it, or a transport licence, or a special box to keep it in. I've found only one or two people in our club use black powder, but they are real traditionalists, who also do the re-enactment battles etc.
    But as said, black powder is safe, but it has a few disadvantages, compared to the alternative propellants, but try both, I'm sure someone at your club will let you have enough black powder to do a card or two, then clean your gun and have a go with some Pyrodex, or Triple 7 and make your own mind up. Think of how much your licences and box will cost and how long a tub of each of the propellants you would use costs over a year or so and a lot depends on how much in each charge you use, when adding it all up.
    Anyway, black powder is safe, it will not go off if you drop your flask (although, it's better to have all of your charges pre measured, in little phials, vials, test tubes, whatever you want to call them, before you get to the range, makes loading quicker, easier and above all safer, as it's less to go off, if there is an accident of some kind !!!)
    Probably most, if not all reading this, will think, what a load of Bo((ocks, but it's what I've discovered in my reletively short time on the dark side, so I say it as I see it. Hope some of this was of some use

All the best
    Baz

That about sums it up Baz.

A bottle of 777 lasts me nine months to a year, so 30 quid is really not a lot to pay for a lot of fun shooting.

There are rule changes being discussed that would allow m/l users to buy and store a small amount of BP without the extra licensing, 2.5kg is being suggested. If it comes about then I will but a pound for a bit of variation to my shooting (and annoy other users of the range with the increased smoke and smell of rotten eggs). But really I dont like BP because of the mess and a lot longer cleaning needed.

I have my guns for target shooting not to be an authentic traditionalist
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Just for my education, where does Swiss Powder fit in? Is it a BP substitute that doesn't require a licence or is it treated as an explosive. I rather understood that it was probably "the best" powder in terms of power, consistency and cleanliness. Is this right?

Swiss powder requires a license, its not a propellent.

Swiss is just one type of BP. There are several different 'brands' and grades - look HERE: - http://www.black-powder.co.uk/bp.htm