Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How dangerous is black powder

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeless Coal View Post
    That about sums it up Baz.

A bottle of 777 lasts me nine months to a year, so 30 quid is really not a lot to pay for a lot of fun shooting.

There are rule changes being discussed that would allow m/l users to buy and store a small amount of BP without the extra licensing, 2.5kg is being suggested. If it comes about then I will but a pound for a bit of variation to my shooting (and annoy other users of the range with the increased smoke and smell of rotten eggs). But really I dont like BP because of the mess and a lot longer cleaning needed.

I have my guns for target shooting not to be an authentic traditionalist

Whne will we know if this change comes into effect? It would be a sensible idea aswell.
    Also, pyrodex does not work in flintlocks, so some people need to use the real stuff.

Regards

Pyrodex is OK as a main charge in a flintlock, but it's harder to ignite, so it's not much use in the pan, but saying that, you need a finer grade of powder for the pan, as this ignites better than the black powder used as a main charge, so your going to need to buy two types of black powder anyway, if you use a flintlock, although main charge powder can be used in the pan, the ignition isn't so consistant, so it would be better to use both types. Or even better, get a percussion weapon, then you only need to use one type of whatever main charge you use and the percussion caps are only about £5.00 per 100, so that's not going to hurt the pocket too much

I agree with what you say Smokeless, it's ok to use BP if you want to make lots of smoke, but for punching paper, can't beat Pyrodex or Triple 7, because the last thing you want to do after a long day of concentrating on that black bit on your card (which seems to get smaller as the day goes on !!!), is spending about an hour, scrubbing the crud from the inside and outside of your gun when using BP, when 20 mins will give you a sparkling clean one, after using Pyro or 777 .

ATB
    Baz
    Last edited by LONG REACH; 28-10-2008 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rizzini View Post
    Whne will we know if this change comes into effect? It would be a sensible idea aswell.
    Also, pyrodex does not work in flintlocks, so some people need to use the real stuff.

Regards
    Hi Rizzini, Long Reach, Smokeless Coal

I read an article on the proposed changes to the storage rules but after getting excited about it was told by my Fire arms officer that the HSE had raised objections during the consultancy stage and ACPO withdrew it support so the change wont go ahead. Sorry its back to the home office box and getting approval from the local constabulary then the HSE.

I use a repo Brown Bess and have tried both Pyrodex and Triple 777, it needed some BP in the pan to ignite to get the main charge to go off. I tried mixtures of various things – scrapings of red match heads mixed with Pyrodex with no real success. If the scrapings ignited then the Pyrodex just seemed to turn into a molten burning ball.

With black powder in the pan using either Pyrodex or Triple 777 there is a heck of a time delay between the pan igniting and the charge igniting which doesn’t half affect the aim. To hit the target you end up bench resting the Bess a new discipline maybe. The Triple 777 produced very dry crusted fouling which required constant brushing out, it also made the breach very hot, so I gave up on it, I was after the easier washing out which is true it does work as they say on the tin.

Earlier in the thread you asked about Fenland Rural sports, I have visited there once and they do sell BP and the Box at about £50. As the bloke I talked to said if their magazine ever went up it would dig a fair sized lake very quickly. So I take it they have a fair stock.

Hope this is of help

Flash

I have a caplock at the moment, but I will hopefully get a flintlock soon. I just need to find a good range.

I would really like to get into BP revolver shooting, but to get a permit for one of them must be a mercy if anything else. I also have a police caution which would most likely stop me from getting a FAC. I was not guilty but nonetheless my chances of ever getting a FAC are gone

I would really like to get into BP revolver shooting, but to get a permit for one of them must be a mercy if anything else. I also have a police caution which would most likely stop me from getting a FAC. I was not guilty but nonetheless my chances of ever getting a FAC are gone
    It depends what the caution was for and how long ago you were given it. By accepting a polioce caution you are admitting you were guilty of the offence - never accept one unless you really are guilty.

Drop me a pm if you like with some details and I can give you some advice.

You'll need to be a full member of a home office approved club before you apply for the FAC and the acquire and keep.

regards

Saggs

I only admitted it as I did not wan't a court order hanging over my head.

Smile Black powder.

Has anyone visted Fenland Rural Sports. I have heard it sell BP supplies.
    Yes, Was there a couple of weeks ago. They had swiss black powder but its guite expensive compared with Kranks or TS2. However you do use less per charge so it works out not much dearer.
    TS2 was £15 a 1/2 kilo pot from Kranks a few weeks ago which lasts me about 3 months shooting most Sunday mornings.

What is their Gun selection like?

keith66 is online now Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    It is interesting how peoples views on Black powder differ. I have shot m/l shotguns for years and have always used Black powder. It is classed as a low explosive and is relatively easy to set of. I have heard other shooters saying there is no real pressure in it but i an sure very high pressures can be had!
    Providing basic safety procedures & respect for it are observed it is perfectly safe. For example i personally would never load from a powder flask directly into the barrel rather always into a measure first.
    Many years ago i had an accident and set of 1 ld of the stuff with an angle grinder at a range of 5ft, it was very very hot and i lost most of my hair, moustache & sideburns in the flash. That powder was at least 50 years old & caked solid but boy did it go! But for my goggles i would now be sporting a white stick. Funnily enough i never heard the bang though witnesses said it was very loud. The worst thing was i had my full membership interview at my local wildfowling club that very night and as i answered the questions bits of burnt hair kept falling on the table, i did get some strange looks but passed

Thumbs up

Hi Rizzini. Kranks have an exellent choice of all things black powder related. Plenty of choice in the gun department and helpfull with advice.
    As far as black powder v pyrodex v 777 goes i dont know anyone who can shoot bp who uses anything else. I have four bp guns and have never found cleaning to be an issue, evan when left dirty for a few days. 10 mins with hot soapy water or consentrated screen wash, rod out the barrel, cylinder ect and dry with a hair dryer. Lube with any decent gun oil an stick it in the cupboard. My nitro firing long barrel revolver gets just as cruddy and takes just as long to clean but admittedly it wont rust if left.

I would hope that it wasn't enough to stop you having an FAC. Normally you have to have served more than 3 years in Jail before they can stop you having one. Unless it was for assault or affray. It would be worth checking with the legal department of the BASC as they would be able to give you better advice. One of my friends who is a local farmer was walking into his farmyard and met four #####s coming out of his barn with his chainsaw. Having his shotgun with him he gave chase and blew out the back windows of their Ford Cortina. They reported him to the police who arrived and confiscated his firearms. They offered to let him off with a caution but my friend refused and ended up in court. The Judge fined him £20 and ordered the police to return his guns. The case made the pages of the Daily Telegraph. Unless you committed some serious crime in which case you would have recieved a lot more than a caution I can't see that it would effect your application. As I say get some advice and then I should go ahead and apply. By law they have to have a very good reason why they shouldn't allow your application.

If you don`t already have an FAC, how can you legally own a caplock?

tac

#I have a caplock at the moment, but I will hopefully get a flintlock soon. I just need to find a good range.

#I would really like to get into BP revolver shooting, but to get a permit for one of them must be a mercy if anything else. I also have a police caution which would most likely stop me from getting a FAC. I was not guilty but nonetheless my chances of ever getting a FAC are gone

Well spotted Tac.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    If you don`t already have an FAC, how can you legally own a caplock?

tac
    smooth-bore M/L on a shotgun certificate probably

regards

Saggs