Thread: How dangerous is black powder

Quote Originally Posted by Saggs View Post
    smooth-bore M/L on a shotgun certificate probably

regards

Saggs

Ah, understooded.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    If you don`t already have an FAC, how can you legally own a caplock?

tac
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokeless Coal View Post
    #I have a caplock at the moment, but I will hopefully get a flintlock soon. I just need to find a good range.

#I would really like to get into BP revolver shooting, but to get a permit for one of them must be a mercy if anything else. I also have a police caution which would most likely stop me from getting a FAC. I was not guilty but nonetheless my chances of ever getting a FAC are gone

Well spotted Tac.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saggs View Post
    smooth-bore M/L on a shotgun certificate probably

regards

Saggs
    This thread just got interesting too - after reading the earlier thread about losing SGC !

[QUOTE=John Bedford;3071309]The BP substitutes (Pyrodex & Triple 7) are licence free and no 'special' storage rules apply.

Has this changed as I treid to purchase some at my local RFD but was told that I now need a ticket of some sort

Can anyone tell me when this change was made??

Thanks ...

Quote Originally Posted by rizzini View Post
    Has anyone visted Fenland Rural Sports. I have heard it sell BP supplies.
    I have.

Yes, it does.

Where is Barkshire?

tac

No change as far as buying the powder is concerned, but were you trying to buy any primers as well ? You need to show a firearm or shot gun certificate for that.

[QUOTE=Rick O'Shay;3543730]
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bedford View Post
    The BP substitutes (Pyrodex & Triple 7) are licence free and no 'special' storage rules apply.

Has this changed as I treid to purchase some at my local RFD but was told that I now need a ticket of some sort

Can anyone tell me when this change was made??

Thanks ...
    Go someplace else - you are being conned.

ALL BP substitutes are classed as propellants - no certificate or licence is necessary. Unless your local dealer is being a prat, of course.....

tac
    Last edited by tacfoley; 08-06-2009 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Where is Barkshire?

tac
    Near Kenilworth.

Or Isle of Dogs maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Chocchip View Post
    If a powder flask is sufficiently mistreated to 'go off' then its more like a blow torch out of the end rather than a grenade.

A guy down my range decided it would be a great idea to loosen up his caked powder in his flask by stabbing a screwdriver down the spout - this eventually managed to ignite the powder and the blow-torch effect then happened and burned off the front of his clothes. Think he only lost one layer of skin so was very lucky indeed !
    Did your singed pal not wonder why all fittings for handling BP are made of brass?

Guess not, eh?

Betcha he knows now.

tac

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gott View Post
    Near Kenilworth.

Or Isle of Dogs maybe.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Don Gott View Post
    No change as far as buying the powder is concerned, but were you trying to buy any primers as well ? You need to show a firearm or shot gun certificate for that.
    I was not trying to buy primers just a tin of RWS Air Rifle pellets.

He said I needed a reason to buy , I replied that "it wasn't for use in a fire arm but in model rocketry so I didn't think I needed a certificate"

A very kind chap who was also in the shop offerd to buy it on his FireArms Certificate but he said that he need to show good reason to buy it as well!

The shop has a rep for being very unhelpful but I thought he was the better one of the two wonkers.

I replied that I had purchased it in the past with no SG FA certificate but he then told me that the new law came into affect October last year

I don't know of other stockist near to me but I buy other propellants via the post so is pyrodex or 777 available mail order??

Thanks for all the help so far

Hmmm, 119 posts and asking about buying powder !

He said I needed a reason to buy , I replied that "it wasn't for use in a fire arm but in model rocketry so I didn't think I needed a certificate"

So what do you actually want it for?

I would suggest you ask members of your club where they get theirs.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

I was not trying to buy primers just a tin of RWS Air Rifle pellets.

I thought you said you were trying to buy powder?

Very confused now....pellets? powder?

A very kind chap who was also in the shop offerd to buy it on his FireArms Certificate but he said that he need to show good reason to buy it as well!

YOU DO NOT NEED A FIREARMS CERTIFICATE TO BUY PROPELLANT.

The shop has a rep for being very unhelpful but I thought he was the better one of the two wonkers.

Did you spell that correctly?

I replied that I had purchased it in the past with no SG FA certificate but he then told me that the new law came into affect October last year

I'm not surprised - there is no such law.

I don't know of other stockist near to me but I buy other propellants via the post so is pyrodex or 777 available mail order??

Try Reloading Solutions...

tac

Only 119 posts,, Sorry about that but we all have to start somewhere

I know realise that the shop assistant was just being difficult and I can but it mail order I just need to receive my RCD certificate from the HSE that I applied for today.

Its used in model rocketry as a igniter and also as a propellent in some motors.

I was asked if I was ALSO trying to buy primers. No just pellets and powder.

I can store it as long as I have under 5kg in total of pyro.

Thanks ( i think ) for all the comments so far.....

Quote Originally Posted by Chocchip View Post
    If a powder flask is sufficiently mistreated to 'go off' then its more like a blow torch out of the end rather than a grenade.

A guy down my range decided it would be a great idea to loosen up his caked powder in his flask by stabbing a screwdriver down the spout - this eventually managed to ignite the powder and the blow-torch effect then happened and burned off the front of his clothes. Think he only lost one layer of skin so was very lucky indeed !
    seen films where the victim was being burnt at the stake and they hung a flask of black powder around their necks.....i thought that was to blow their heads off rather than a nasty burn

If you treat it with the same caution as you would a similar quantity of petrol you won't go far wrong.
    Petrol is in fact more explosive....capable of propelling a 1 tonne car for 40 miles using one gallon....try that with a similar volume of BP.

Dick.