Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How dangerous is black powder

Quote Originally Posted by stevef View Post
    It will not ignite unless there is a source of a spark or from, grit, flame, or static.
    It cannot be detonated by pressure at all.
    Some shells in the early days of MLR artillery - 1860s and thereabouts - didn't have a fuze. The BP bursting charge was loose in a shaloon bag inside the shell, and relied on friction between the granules on impact to fire it. This must've worked often enough in some conditions to have been adopted - but what you say is true in everyday circumstances .

Of course it's safe enough under proper storage where a proper 'H&S' attitude is taken.

But note the incidence of stories of accidental firing in this thread, and consider the fact that all of them are about black powder, and none are about anything else....

Regards,
    MikB
    ...history... is, indeed, little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind. (Edward Gibbon: Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)

Quote Originally Posted by John Bedford View Post
    The BP substitutes (Pyrodex & Triple 7) are licence free and no 'special' storage rules apply.

Black powder is an explosive & you need 2 licences - one to buy it, another to transport it (ie: to and from the range). In addition you need an 'approved' storage box, to a very specicic design. Cheapest I've seen for these is about £90 but if you have a look at the BP section on here you'll find a set of plans for a DIY box.
    My Dad makes nicely finished boxes that meet all MSER 2005 regulations. He is contactable on 07894 340212 or email to blackpowderstoragebox@gmail.com.

He has 100% feedback and comments saying police check was all fine.

In addition you need an 'approved' storage box, to a very specicic design. Cheapest I've seen for these is about £90 but if you have a look at the BP section on here you'll find a set of plans for a DIY box.
    I have searched and cannot find this.

Anyone take me by the hand and show it to me.

br22

BP Storage

Thanks John for posting drawings of how to make the storage box....A couple of questions if I may.

1). Does the box need to be fastened to the building structure.

2). What are the rules about where it can be sited..house,outbuilding??

Thanks again.....Dick.

When I spoke to my FLO he said my garage (integral with the house) was OK. No need to bolt to anything (as wirh a gun cabinet) - just a chain from box to water pipe or similar accepatble - just so's no-one can pick it up and walk off with it easily. Box to be locked. No need for any special colour or wording on the box. Check with your own FLO though - as we know, each area interprets the rules differently.

Thanks John