Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hw vixen advert,,

hw vixen advert,,

hi, just looking at a old advert in agw from norman may for the vixen, and at the bottom of the ad it reads
    "future developments to be announced firearms certificate required air rifle with muzzle velocity of 17 ft lbs !! "
    bearing in mind this is 1979. does anyone know what rifle they were on about, did it ever come into being,
    just curious
    atb
    paul
    hw 80custom, , hw 35 luxus, hw35 std,

Quote Originally Posted by yoshiwolves View Post
    hi, just looking at a old advert in agw from norman may for the vixen, and at the bottom of the ad it reads
    "future developments to be announced firearms certificate required air rifle with muzzle velocity of 17 ft lbs !! "
    bearing in mind this is 1979. does anyone know what rifle they were on about, did it ever come into being,
    just curious
    atb
    paul
    HW80 ?

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Dunno, but could it have been HW35 export model HW35E

Quote Originally Posted by christy View Post
    Dunno, but could it have been HW35 export model HW35E
    I doubt it. In my experience Ive found the Export usually slightly down on power compared to the 19" barrel versions (Standard and deluxe).

ATB
    Ian

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    It might have been the much sought-after 'long-stroke' version of the HW35 Export, with an modified transfer port and 'spetzial' spring. Except I just made that up.

It may have been a BSF S54 given the Vixen treatment. Normay also imported BSF, the only spring guns that could really go beyond the legal limit in those days. I do remember a guy buying an FAC version of it, along with an HW35E Vixen and I think a FWB Sport in an article in AGW. The BSF was doing over 14 ft/lbs I think, which was crazy power in those days, most guns really made about 10 ft/lbs with the exception of the Vixen and the Feinwerkbau Sport (and a few Jackals, but they weren't all that accurate).

Otherwise, might well (in fact probably) have been the now 'ordinary' HW80/R1 ubercannon which Normay caught a whisper of. No one will ever know now.

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    I doubt it. In my experience Ive found the Export usually slightly down on power compared to the 19" barrel versions (Standard and deluxe).

ATB
    Ian
    Was'nt that made up for by the fact that the pellet was that bit closer to the target when its started its journey

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    Was'nt that made up for by the fact that the pellet was that bit closer to the target when its started its journey

Dave
    And the fact that you could tolerate a few foot per second loss due to the exception good looks of the Export stock.

HS - you had me going there for a second with your 'long stroke' Export. I almost started looking for one. .

ATB
    Ian

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

HS - you had me going there for a second with your 'long stroke' Export. I almost started looking for one. .

ATB
    Ian
    Erm actually, I have got one, its £1000. (Now, where is Bowkett's phone number?). Also, I have a BSF B155. It's very similar to a B55 but has an additional '1' stamped on it. That's only £500.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Erm actually, I have got one, its £1000. (Now, where is Bowkett's phone number?). Also, I have a BSF B155. It's very similar to a B55 but has an additional '1' stamped on it. That's only £500.
    Im not THAT stupid.

What calibre is the BSF155?

ATB
    Ian

According to the article in Airgunworld on the Vixen (Aug 1979), Normay had already got a HW35 running at 14.8ftlbs. As you probably already know the HW35 can easily be stroked to give another 7mm of piston stroke so it could have just been a longstroke 35.

The difference in power between 14.8 and 17 ftlbs is only 50 fps in .22 with wasps.

Normay were also experimenting with five other rifles at the time of the Vixen's release, three German and two English.
    I'd love to know what five guns they were, and I'd especialy like to know which two english guns were looked at.

ATB Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    According to the article in Airgunworld on the Vixen (Aug 1979), Normay had already got a HW35 running at 14.8ftlbs. As you probably already know the HW35 can easily be stroked to give another 7mm of piston stroke so it could have just been a longstroke 35.

The difference in power between 14.8 and 17 ftlbs is only 50 fps in .22 with wasps.

Normay were also experimenting with five other rifles at the time of the Vixen's release, three German and two English.
    I'd love to know what five guns they were, and I'd especialy like to know which two english guns were looked at.

ATB Mick
    You would think that somewhere- someone out there had a connection with Normay and could clear up some of these questions wouldnt you? After all its not that long ago?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    You would think that somewhere- someone out there had a connection with Normay and could clear up some of these questions wouldnt you? After all its not that long ago?

Dave
    It's nearly thirty years ago Dave.

I'm feeling very old now.

ATB Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post

ATB Mick
    Almost certainly one of them would have been the Webley Vulcan, which could get 12 ft/lbs in .22 out of the box in 1979.

The other might have been a Sussex Armoury Jackal gun, or maybe the BSA Airporter 'S' at a guess.

What calibre is the BSF155?

ATB
    Ian

Whatever calibre you like!

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Almost certainly one of them would have been the Webley Vulcan, which could get 12 ft/lbs in .22 out of the box in 1979.

The other might have been a Sussex Armoury Jackal gun, or maybe the BSA Airporter 'S' at a guess.
    Vulcan :- YES
    Anything with a parallel tap :-NO

My guess would be the BSA Mercury S as it's export power was already listed at 16 ftlb's and it had a good swept volume.

ATB Mick