I was going to stay out of this thread, however I find I cannot resist putting my oar in, albeit at the risk of being controversial!
I bought 4 or 5 FWB Sports in the late 70's and early 80's, the best being the Mk.1's of course because they had much better wood, even though it was still beech, and they were without the awful muzzle brake that came later.
I agree with all the comments re performance & style etc, and all my Sports were taken apart, tuned and generally bug***ed around with, all of which made me very happy at the time.
I kept my best Sport and used it throughout the 80's, as it did indeed better the Anschutz overall, and certainly the HW35, both great guns but the Sport had the edge, probably because they look so elegant and are so eay to cock, all of which has been said.
THEN, the Theoben Sirocco came along in its 1990 format, with the safety catch set within the trigger guard, its .177 Anschutz barrel, fantastic quality walnut stock made for 'scope use, and fixed mounts. The breech block was far longer than on a Sport to give mazimum rigidity at the breech, and the detent made the ball bearing of the Sport look puny!
The main difference of course was the way it shot - short and quick, over in a flash, not the slightest hint of twang or zing, which even the best tuned Sports must exhibit.
Best of all was the accuracy: Using the early Crosman domes of the time (before Premiers) it would shoot 1 1/4" 5 shot groups at 63 yeards using a period 4 x 40 Tasco scope.
My good old Sport could never do that, so end of story for me. The Siroccos were of course massively more expensive but you usually only get what you pay for.
Then two years later along came the Theoben Imperator .177 FT, and that represented the same quantum leap forward from the Sirocco, as that rifle had been from the 'Sport, but that's another story.
So to answer the question, which is best, the FWB or the Anshutz, the winner is as 'Top Gear' might say, the Theoben Sirocco!