Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FEINWERKBAU SPORT and the ANSCHUTZ 335

I own a tuned FWB and a tuned Annie 335.

FWB +: lovely bluing and ergonomics. Doddle to cock. All the power you need.
    FWB-: Trigger adequate but not brilliant. Barrels can allegedly droop. You can fit an aftermarket lock but then can't use open sights. Tricky to strip.

335+: Flat crown on muzzle (I like that). Easy to strip and service. Brilliant barrel lock.
    335-: Needs a lot of tuning to get full-power. Stock looks a bit square but works adequately. Can have weld-problems that need fixing.

Both brilliant pieces of machinery.

>>>>>>>>>>THE END<<<<<<<<<<...or is it...

Evening Gents, nice thread on some oldclassics, i think all of these guns are good in ther way, i have Bsf70.22, anshutz 335.22. fwb sport mk2 .22 with macari upgrade. I enjoy all of them and would advise anyone to search any of them out. Whats the best one ! thats up to you all to decide for yourself, enjoy. atb

>>>>>>>>>>>FIN>>>>>>>>>>

Quote Originally Posted by hwvixen View Post
    >>>>>>>>>>>FIN>>>>>>>>>>
    not till the fat lady sings

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post
    not till the fat lady sings
    The fat lady? Is you talking Relum Tornado?

On the subject of the Feinwerkbau Sport, would it be feasible to sleeve the breech-block bolt-hole and is there a practical replacement for the barrel latch when all the supplies of them have dried up?

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post

On the subject of the Feinwerkbau Sport, would it be feasible to sleeve the breech-block bolt-hole and is there a practical replacement for the barrel latch when all the supplies of them have dried up?
    probably be a helicoil the correct size for breech block hole
    the detent spigot is another matter perhaps build up with weld (stellite or similar )
    on second thoughts it may be possible to silver solder a small ball bearing on to the worn spigot
    Last edited by mallyally; 15-12-2008 at 10:07 PM. Reason: just had a crazy thought

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post
    the detent spigot is another matter perhaps build up with weld (stellite or similar )
    on second thoughts it may be possible to silver solder a small ball bearing on to the worn spigot
    It is a shame that they did not use the over-engineered system used by BSA. I guess it was their only break-barrel gun and thought that it would only be used for hunting i.e. only a couple thousands pellets a year, and not given the massive hammering that the FT brigades threw at it.

It is a shame that they did not use the over-engineered system used by BSA. I guess it was their only break-barrel gun and thought that it would only be used for hunting i.e. only a couple thousands pellets a year, and not given the massive hammering that the FT brigades threw at it.
    i must be lucky because none of mine have any wear at all
    but because its a ball bearing that ( rolls ) over it i would expect it to last many thousands of shots with the correct lube
    yes the BSA one is very clever as the round pin acts as a stop and catch for the detente if it wears stick a new pin in

As said above, keep the ball-bearing lubed and I suspect it will be a very long time before the latch wears. My 127 is 27 years old and has fired tens of thousands of pellets but shows no sign of wear.

Trust you to degrade this wonderful thread by mentioning the Hungarian Fence Post.

Personally I think a lot of the so called 'problems' and weak spots mentioned above (HW35 catch sticking, FWB lock up etc.) can be avoided with the use of adequate good quality lubrication in correct amounts, care and maintenance and a bit of TLC.
    Perhaps Im lucky but Ive never had a bad '35 cylinder or a 'Sport detent worn - but then again Im a stickler for lubing. I work on the old engineering principal that oil is cheaper than bearings (well, it used to be. )

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Second you on that one I.J. I've don't think Sports really have any problems unless you are incredibly unlucky or abuse them.

I think also the triggers are very very good when compared to the real rubbish on other makes out there. They do the job and are consistent enough to get accurate results. They are just not a Record.

Never known or seen one to barrel droop or to bend up from premature release on cocking. I could definitely get a Theoben Serocco to do it but then any rifle with a heavy moderator on the end let fly under pressure might.

A tar and molly basic tune is all that needs to be done to quieten them and smooth them down. Maccari short spring and piston head drop in kit does it well enough.

Lastly, I have one fitted with a moderator and one without and there is not a lot of difference. Without one and no more than a ?x40 scope they are a marksman's dream sporting rifle; pure up into the aim point-ability.

Many many moons ago....probably nearly thirty,I had gone down to my local club shoot (Stour Vale Woodsmen) for the weekly "shoot" & was drawn to go around the circuit with the then British champ at that time.Can't remember his name,but nice bloke.I had the collecting bug even then & went around with a Webley Supertarget...he used his FT FWB 127 (I think?) don't think it was a 124.Needless to say...he shot the pants off me...mind you,I never was a very good shot!As far as I can remember from what he told me,the FWB was standard except for the trigger being "worked on"

Does anyone remember what his name was..?He must have been one of the very first British champs?

Wouldn't it be interesteing in seeing a list of the British FT champs & what guns they used from it's very earliest beginings...does anyone have such a list?You would get an insight to when PCP's took over from the springers...

Very interesting post by the way.
    I think that person may have been me, I don’t remember much about that day but we went to a couple of stour vale club shoots at the invitation of BT, and I did once shoot a good round there with a 127. Ian Law shot a 124 never a 127 so I don’t think it could have been him. Rex Brown had a beautiful 127 but suffered from nose bleeds north of Watford. If it was myself, “hello, nice to hear from you after 25 years?”

The 124 is a remarkable rifle, but not everyone can get the best out of them. Even some of the best shots, in my experience, just can’t get on with them. Terry Wheeler, for example, won just about everything going with his .22 45 in the early 80’s but just couldn’t master the 124. He saw how successful we were using them and when his source of ammo dried up for his 45, he tried a number of times but something about the 124 didn’t work for him.

As to whether the sport is better than the 335, all I can say is that in my experience yes it is. FT was extremely competitive even in those early pre 77k days and if a rifle gave you any advantage it would have been used. It’s a matter of fact that the 335, as good as it is was never used with any great success. In that small but wonderful window of time before the 77 swept all before it, the 124 was king and the dominant prize winner at national level.

Long live the king!

Richard

Does anyone remember what his name was..?He must have been one of the very first British champs?
    It would have been Richard (RustyBuzz). He was ace on tin chickens, but went completely to pieces when faced with a Worcestershire rabbit.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBuzz View Post
    As to whether the sport is better than the 335, all I can say is that in my experience yes it is. FT was extremely competitive even in those early pre 77k days and if a rifle gave you any advantage it would have been used. It’s a matter of fact that the 335, as good as it is was never used with any great success. In that small but wonderful window of time before the 77 swept all before it, the 124 was king and the dominant prize winner at national level.

Long live the king!

Richard
    I don't remember the 335 being used by anybody much in contention because of the low power, Richard. By the time we'd made the power respectable, the HW77 had arrived.

Having shot both the 335 and a 127 recently, I'd say that the better of the two is the one that better suits the individual shooter.

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

great thread.

this is the sort of discusion that i like no irritable know betters with more opinions you can shake a stick at.the comparisons here all strike a chord in one way or another but being a dyed in the wool 124 lover would naturely find in its favour,just as apoint of interest if you reduced the power output to match the annys would that make it a fairer contest?.incidently the fwb due to its length could more likely suit the longer limbed amoungst us and make it better balanced as a result where as the anny is more of a universal fit to the average physicue.just out of curiosity i wodered how compatible orig45 parts would be to the fwb? bearing in mind dreaded replacement parts shortages later on.
    btdt comment visa v the best gun is the one that suits the individual shooter is about as near to the truth as makes no differance.
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,