Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BP versions of modern revolvers?

I spoke with Mr Westlake thi afternoon. He's still shooting the prototype for some final testing and the like, but reckons he should have a price sorted out in the next couple of weeks. He' also looking at re-jigging his equipment to make the cylinder six shot, as opposed to seven. Less machining time and the likes may effect final price.

Anyway you look at it, this sort of revolver may be available in the very near future! I do fear though, current economic climate may actually be more of a contributing factor.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon IV View Post
    If all goes well this is the photo Alan Westlake sent me. s555.photobucket.com/albums/jj451/NapoleonIV_photo/
    Napoleon, will that be a late 2008 Christmas present for you? Or an early 2009 one?

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Westlake conversion

Wow. I like the look of that. I have a .357 Taurus LBR and often look at it and think what it would be like without the brace and a 6" barrel. Know we know. I can see that loading would be an issue for some folks but as i see it we arnt ever likely to get proper pistols back so you may as well make the most of what we can have. I find the barrel legnth on the LBR to be exsesive and need the brace to take some of the weight of my gammy wrist but i know others dont need the brace and shoot well without it. Loading of the conversion would be as per a b/p cap and ball pistol with powder viles and once mastered should be no slower and probably a lot less fiddly than a Ruger old army or a Rogers and spencer ect. Take into acount easier cleaning than a b/p pistol and no bullet loading sessions like a LBR and it starts to look very intresting indeed.
    Anyone know how much to convert a LBR, or do you have to buy a whole new gun?

Quote Originally Posted by tim56 View Post
    Wow. I like the look of that. I have a .357 Taurus LBR and often look at it and think what it would be like without the brace and a 6" barrel. Know we know. I can see that loading would be an issue for some folks but as i see it we arnt ever likely to get proper pistols back so you may as well make the most of what we can have. I find the barrel legnth on the LBR to be exsesive and need the brace to take some of the weight of my gammy wrist but i know others dont need the brace and shoot well without it. Loading of the conversion would be as per a b/p cap and ball pistol with powder viles and once mastered should be no slower and probably a lot less fiddly than a Ruger old army or a Rogers and spencer ect. Take into acount easier cleaning than a b/p pistol and no bullet loading sessions like a LBR and it starts to look very intresting indeed.
    Anyone know how much to convert a LBR, or do you have to buy a whole new gun?
    Hi Tim

I shoot a NMA in 44 & I use measured phials a separate press for reloading ball takes a fraction of the time compared to doing it on the gun.

I would seriously be interesed in this nitro jobby !!

Cheers

Roy

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    Napoleon, will that be a late 2008 Christmas present for you? Or an early 2009 one?

Jim
    I think it could be an early birthday present. I'd rather go for the whole gun than have my Taurus LBR converted. Nice orthopaedic grip as on former
    S & W .38. Just the job!

I think it could be an early birthday present. I'd rather go for the whole gun than have my Taurus LBR converted. Nice orthopaedic grip as on former
    S & W .38. Just the job!
    I agree. And that way you get to keep both pistols!

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Alan Westlake, has confirmed prices for the Taurus .38 nitro pistol.

And he already has my order.

C'mon then Wobbly, how much.....?

Pyrodex is offline "Bother" said Pooh, as he hid Piglets corpse..
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    C'mon then Wobbly, how much.....?
    seconded..

There is no "I" in "Team", but there are four in "Platitude-Quoting Idiot".

The conversion is based on a Taurus LBP, so you can supply your own, or purchase at £595.

Conversion is £270 which includes loading press, and a spare cylinder is £150.

He already has seven orders, but Im not sure how many he is producing.

Part of the problem seems to be that you can't just import a Taurus 66 with a six inch barrel and no cylinder. In this form it is a Section 5 firearm and apparently once section 5 it stays that way permanently.

The base unit is a Taurus Long Barrelled Revolver....... which is S1.

Part of the problem seems to be that you can't just import a Taurus 66 with a six inch barrel and no cylinder. In this form it is a Section 5 firearm and apparently once section 5 it stays that way permanently.
    I wouldnt of thought so. Componants arnt classed as Section 5. It would only be section 5 if it was assembled as such

Quote Originally Posted by chrismetallica1 View Post
    I wouldnt of thought so. Componants arnt classed as Section 5. It would only be section 5 if it was assembled as such
    I don't know about the UK's laws in this respect: but at U.S. federal law, the receiver of a gun = the gun.

Grips, barrels, cylinders, sights, screws, etc. are all "gun parts", and not restricted. But a gun receiver IS a gun: with or without anything else attached to it.

Jim

Its the sum of the parts that makes the gun. All the frames are the same. There is nothing diffrent between a medium and large frame and the frame of an LBR. The diffrence is if it was imported with the shorter barrel on. If It was in the eyes of the law it couldnt be anything other than section 5 as Taurus themselves dont do BP pistols. However if it was just a frame and was built on and registerd as a black powder pistol I see no issuse.

It has been pointed out on this forum before by RFD's that the parts themselves are not classed. If they were it would make doing repairs on LBR's nigh on impossible.

Ps Jim..... Dont I know It that federal law classes Grips as Gun parts I wanted a set of Hogue Square Butt Checkered Coco Bolo . However the limit on gunparts export without an export liscence from the state department is $100 and when I looked the grips were $108. Looks like I will have to get them when Im over later this year then

I always though the federal laws on gun parts were confusing. I never quite understood why If a ruger 10/22 reciever was registerd as a rifle you couldnt use it on a ruger charger build. Aslo if it was registerd before a certain date you can use a folding stock and after that date you cant. Then there was that whole SBR tax and a tax on Silencers. Same with Ar15 uppers for AR pistols. Its a mine field of gun laws and it seems to be diffrent in every state. I did quite a bit of shooting last time I was over Nevada was great for shooting but california wasnt, too many wierd laws
    Last edited by chrismetallica1; 22-01-2009 at 11:18 PM.