Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: BP versions of modern revolvers?

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by chrismetallica1 View Post
    Its the sum of the parts that makes the gun. All the frames are the same. There is nothing diffrent between a medium and large frame and the frame of an LBR. The diffrence is if it was imported with the shorter barrel on. If It was in the eyes of the law it couldnt be anything other than section 5 as Taurus themselves dont do BP pistols. However if it was just a frame and was built on and registerd as a black powder pistol I see no issuse.

It has been pointed out on this forum before by RFD's that the parts themselves are not classed. If they were it would make doing repairs on LBR's nigh on impossible.

Ps Jim..... Dont I know It that federal law classes Grips as Gun parts I wanted a set of Hogue Square Butt Checkered Coco Bolo . However the limit on gunparts export without an export liscence from the state department is $100 and when I looked the grips were $108. Looks like I will have to get them when Im over later this year then

I always though the federal laws on gun parts were confusing. I never quite understood why If a ruger 10/22 reciver was registerd as a rifle you couldnt use it as a ruger charger. Then there was that whole SBR tax and a tax on Silencers. Same with Ar15 uppers for AR pistols. Is a mine field of gun laws and it seems to be diffrent in every state.

Chris, it's hard to believe that there isn't some gun parts dealer in the US who can ship these grips to you!

If not, and if can get payment to me, I'd be glad to get them and ship them to you: as a "gift", there shouldn't be any problem.

Silencers? Well, they're not just a gun part in the US, but are highly restricted, like a machine gun!

Pistol / rifle barrels here are unrestricted. However, if you put, say, a 12 inch pistol barrel on a rifle, you'd have another highly restricted weapon on your hands (literally). Rifles with barrels under 16 inches, shotguns with barrels under 18 inches, rifles or shotguns or rifle /shotgun combinations under 26 inches overall, are likewise restricted like machine guns.

A difference is that the silencer itself is restricted. The shorter barrel isn't, unless / until you stick it on the rifle.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Cheers for the offer about the grips. The missues wants to go back to the states this year so I will pick some up then Im over. Im going to do a big shop while Im there and pick up a load of stuff. There are a few more ranges in Vegas I didnt get to visit while I was over last.

Getting back to the origianl thread these BP Taurus revolvers look very good. Think I might get the paperwork off for a variation for one. I had completley missed the advert for them in the back of target sports. They look very promising for PP1. Does anyone know what slots are needed? I guess you need a .38 muzzle loading revolver slot, but what do you need for an extra cylinder?

Quote Originally Posted by chrismetallica1 View Post
    Cheers for the offer about the grips. The missues wants to go back to the states this year so I will pick some up then Im over. Im going to do a big shop while Im there and pick up a load of stuff. There are a few more ranges in Vegas I didnt get to visit while I was over last.

Getting back to the origianl thread these BP Taurus revolvers look very good. Think I might get the paperwork off for a variation for one. I had completley missed the advert for them in the back of target sports. They look very promising for PP1. Does anyone know what slots are needed? I guess you need a .38 muzzle loading revolver slot, but what do you need for an extra cylinder?
    Thats exactly what you need, a slot for .38 muzzle loading revolver, and a .38 cylinder.

Anyone heard if Weslake are planning to do a .44 version of the modified Taurus. I have a slot for .44/45 muzzle loading pistol and was hoping for a Ruger old army with 51/2" barrel but a modded .44 Taurus would certainly be of intrest to me. Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tim56 View Post
    Anyone heard if Weslake are planning to do a .44 version of the modified Taurus. I have a slot for .44/45 muzzle loading pistol and was hoping for a Ruger old army with 51/2" barrel but a modded .44 Taurus would certainly be of intrest to me. Tim
    You never know. Im sure if you contacted him he could make one or if you had a .44 Taurus he could convert it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly 2 View Post
    Alan Westlake, has confirmed prices for the Taurus .38 nitro pistol.

And he already has my order.
    Well its been a long wait, but yesterday Mr Westlake delivered the goods, well almost, he didnt have the spare cylinder I ordered, so that will take a few weeks longer.

The workmanship looks first class as expected.

I have the wadcutters, powder and shotgun primers, so tomorrow it looks like it will be its first trip to the range.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...2052009338.jpg

greenshoots Guest
    i am sooooooo green.

viv

Thumbs up

Now that is a thing of beuty. Please keep us informed as to how it shoots. I held one at the Newark show a few weeks ago and it just felt right in the hand compared to the long barrel of the Taurus.
    Are the wad cutters readily available or do you have to get them through Westlakes and did you have any problems with the licencing authorities? Tim.

I saw one yesterday at Phoenix. The memories come flooding back as you pick it up!

But again, unfortunately, at over 950 quid for the supplied finished model...... That's alot of money. Especially for a Taurus.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly 2 View Post

I have the wadcutters, powder and shotgun primers, so tomorrow it looks like it will be its first trip to the range.
    It's beautiful, Wobbly! How did it shoot?

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone