Thread: HW35 The Collectable Weihrauch

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

HW35 The Collectable Weihrauch

I've always felt sorry for the old 35, had two myself, looking for a third, great rifles but I feel it never reached the top spot in its long production life.

When it first came out it was streets ahead of the stuff we were using in the late 50's/early 60's, but everyone bought then (the war you know and all that). Thanks to people like D R Hughes and Robert Law it started to take off in the late 60's early 70s and then AGW arrived in 1977 and the mainstream of airgunners put down their Airsporters/MK3 etc and flocked to buy it in their droves.

But despite its quaility, accuracy and great trigger people soon found that power wise they only got 9 to 10ftlbs. Weihrauch fought back, adding a safety and reducing the scope rails in size to a more common 11mm and got rid of that bloody click. The Export was born but just as HW were about to have their moment of glory, Disaster.

The FWB Sport appeared, shooters went nuts for this new boy, sleek action, powerful with a rakish stock, the cobby 35 was doomed. FT arrived and so did the Original 45. Then HW gave us the 80 and the 77 and numerous others since and the poor old 35 soldiers on in the range but does anyone still buy it.

Well they should, power is up to where it should have been and it looks good with the new style stock and if you prefer the Karbine barrel.

But its the old ones we should be interested in, plus a couple of the latest, just look at the variety stock wise, Std (old rounded pistol grip and the new Monte Carlo), Luxus, Export, Thumbhole, Safari, laminated on the KLS and finally I've even seen a Tyrolean one on an American site. And of course there is the Vixen... If I've missed any let me know.

Do you agree?

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post

Do you agree?
    ... Yep, right with you on this one (pics of a few HW35 stock types in my signature slide show if interested ) ... Viva La HW35 .

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

engin is offline If you can't dazzle them with brilliance...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    ... Yep, right with you on this one (pics of a few HW35 stock types in my signature slide show if interested ) ... Viva La HW35 .
    Gareth,

Were there different variants of the thumbhole stock? One of my mates has one stored at another mates (his current girlfriend doesnt like guns in the house) and I swear the butt of his is straighter and the comb is raised.

He has had his HW35 since I have known him, around 1981.

Cheers

E

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by engin View Post
    Gareth,

Were there different variants of the thumbhole stock? One of my mates has one stored at another mates (his current girlfriend doesnt like guns in the house) and I swear the butt of his is straighter and the comb is raised.
    Hi engin, not that I am aware but (a) anything is possible, and (b) I am not enough of an expert to give a definitive yes or no (for that we need the input of King Anorak -- our very own I.J. ). Mine is factory Kosher however, that I know so if your friend's example is as well, then the answer has to be yes me thinks. Interesting thread this -- God I love these collector section school lessons (every day is a school day ). Atb: G.
    Last edited by Gareth W-B; 09-01-2009 at 09:47 PM. Reason: to ad my usual "every day is a school day" quip :-D

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

I've always felt sorry for the old 35, had two myself, looking for a third, great rifles but I feel it never reached the top spot in its long production life.

When it first came out it was streets ahead of the stuff we were using in the late 50's/early 60's, but everyone bought then (the war you know and all that). Thanks to people like D R Hughes and Robert Law it started to take off in the late 60's early 70s and then AGW arrived in 1977 and the mainstream of airgunners put down their Airsporters/MK3 etc and flocked to buy it in their droves.

But despite its quaility, accuracy and great trigger people soon found that power wise they only got 9 to 10ftlbs. Weihrauch fought back, adding a safety and reducing the scope rails in size to a more common 11mm and got rid of that bloody click. The Export was born but just as HW were about to have their moment of glory, Disaster.

The FWB Sport appeared, shooters went nuts for this new boy, sleek action, powerful with a rakish stock, the cobby 35 was doomed. FT arrived and so did the Original 45. Then HW gave us the 80 and the 77 and numerous others since and the poor old 35 soldiers on in the range but does anyone still buy it.

Well they should, power is up to where it should have been and it looks good with the new style stock and if you prefer the Karbine barrel.

But its the old ones we should be interested in, plus a couple of the latest, just look at the variety stock wise, Std (old rounded pistol grip and the new Monte Carlo), Luxus, Export, Thumbhole, Safari, laminated on the KLS and finally I've even seen a Tyrolean one on an American site. And of course there is the Vixen... If I've missed any let me know.

Do you agree?

Ooooh yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Hi engin, not that I am aware but (a) anything is possible, and (b) I am not enough of an expert to give a definitive yes or no (for that we need the input of King Anorak -- our very own I.J. ). Mine is factory Kosher however, that I know so if your friend's example is as well, then the answer has to be yes me thinks. Interesting thread this -- God I love these collector section school lessons (every day is a school day ). Atb: G.
    Ive only ever seen the Lochschaft (thumb hole) factory stock but that doesn't mean there isn't others. Perhaps some after market t/h stocks were produced. Maybe someone on here knows.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

HW 35 models

These are just to show how many different models there are. :-)

Remember,this doesn't include more recent versions. :-(

-------------------------
    Frank

HW35

BOUGHT A NEW ONE YESTERDAY - I CAN'T WAIT TO GET MY HANDS ON IT. I HAD QUITE A LOOK AROUND BEFORE I DECIDED ON HW35 - I LOVE THE LONG BARRELL.
    I ALSO BOUGHT ONE OF THE NEW AIMX PISTOLS IN 177 - GOT IT FROM THE NICE MAN WHO RUNS THE GUN SHOP AT FORD, NEAR ARUNDEL.
    EXCELLELNT SERVICE.

Do you agree?

engin is offline If you can't dazzle them with brilliance...
    Me again!

I have caught up with my HW35 thumbhole owning friend and shown him the photos of your HW35's. I think he is impressed......

Neil says that I am wrong andwhat he has is a standard 35 thumbhole as per your photos. It still has an original ASI 4x32 scope, silencer, ;r#eather sling and period slip.

Neil is refusing to sell (##########!) but would like to know what it is worth.If any of you lot say a fiver and offersix, I will know youare lying!

Neil also has a tub of sussex sabot's and something else he mentioned that might ticke your collecting tastebuds, says he remembers seeing an indian produced copy of the hw35 roundabout ten years ago.

ive an old hw 35
    thats just sitting here
    with what ive just read it might be worth getting a new spring
    and letting it see daylight
    good deals; trefilhunter.. minuteman. SimonS.gran.
    super shooter..dj jon r..ironmonkey

Quote Originally Posted by 8shot View Post
    ive an old hw 35
    thats just sitting here
    with what ive just read it might be worth getting a new spring
    and letting it see daylight
    I gave my old 35 a bit of a birthday in the shape of a mild tuning kit from http://www.airguns.citymax.com/page/page/251327.htm , it a great gun to shoot, very smooth after the tune up. A good gun if you like its idiosyncrasies, that’s probably why its still available after thirty years. It still gives the most pleasure to shot. Remember it’s not always about the ultimate power or the best accuracy; it’s about getting a gun that feels right for you. I have had lots of airguns over the years; I still have my old late 70's 35. Over 30 years of good service. I think it was £65 from the London Airgun Centre (down the side of Charing Cross Station) best £65 I ever spent.
    Rob

Value: a very nice example that a collector would be pleased to own tops £180. Most go for £120 to £140 mark; plus a tad more with toys. Rough under £100; even a lot less. There are a lot around especially in .22 and they are rather old hat. Most most people just keep them as they are hardly worth selling.

From what I can gather an easy rifle to work on and consistent once allowed to settle down. However, difficult to guarantee to get a desired result from the work. So smooth them out and live with the result.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    However, difficult to guarantee to get a desired result from the work. So smooth them out and live with the result.
    That should be the motto of the HW35 Owners Club.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post

From what I can gather an easy rifle to work on and consistent once allowed to settle down. However, difficult to guarantee to get a desired result from the work. So smooth them out and live with the result.
    Venom used to sell the HW35 in FAC form at 15ftlbs

Norman May found that the HW35 would run at 15ftlbs when they were experimenting on operation Vixen.

To the best of my limited Knowledge on the HW35, all of them had a 30mm cylinder bore and about a 65mm piston stroke, and a 2.8mm transfer port diameter.

From my experiments I found that my 35 will run at 13.5 ftlbs in standard form (65mm stroke) when tuned.
    I have now de-stroked this gun down to a 55mm stroke which gives 11.5 ftlbs, the mainspring in this gun has absolutely no preload prior to fitting the trigger housing.

The build quality of the HW35 for a gun designed in 1939 is unbelievable and apart from the breach shims, easy to strip and rebuild.
    That's probably why they are still in production, and long may they live.

All the best Mick