Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HW35 The Collectable Weihrauch

HW35

WILL DO SEE YOU SUNDAY

bigglesworth Guest
    I`ve just got a new 0.177 HW35 KLS and it`s a real shooter.I`ve always thought of the "35" as an "older shooters" rifle,but I was dead wrong!

Keep the faith with the "35"!

Kenny

I've whittled down my collection recently but one rifle I kept was a 1982 Hull Cartridge HW35E .177 with a really nice walnut figured stock.

Sure the HW35 has been built for years but for me the HW35E with the Moonlighter scope was THE rifle to beat in my youth. The HW77 is probably the best rifle from the HW stable and has had a huge influence. But it could not have been made without the revenue from the 35 at the time when other manufacturers struggled. The modern spring rifle can probably thank its survival from the lessons learnt from the tinkering and tuning of HW35's. We now know how to make springers smooth enough to still be usefully accurate and competitive against the new power plants.

So if I am going to have one collectable example from HW then it has to be the 35E. No its never going to appreciate much, if at all, but then again a good rifle will always be a good rifle and hold its own. (Airsporter S and deluxe Vulcans should appreciate as collectors pieces but they just don't shoot as well). If I get another HW to shoot then it will be a classic HW77 and probably a tuned custom version.

had a look at one t`other day. looked great. i couldnt help think, that i wouldnt have bought my 80 if it wasnt for the 35..
    Good deal, Paramainiac 20-05-07
    Good deal, Snipperuk 11-09-10
    Good deal, Skygrowler 13-10-10

I bought a HW35 KLS today and it looks superb.
    I have a spare hawke nighteye 6-20x50 but it is too long to go on.
    Can anyone recommend a scope that has 12x mag and will fit the 35.
    www.hwownersforum.freeforums.org

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by chip View Post
    Can anyone recommend a scope that has 12x mag and will fit the 35.
    I've a very nice Simmons 4-12x40 front parallax adj scope (cross hair reticule) that will do the job perfectly as I actually had it on my HW35 Jubilee for a wee while before adding it to my Daystate Harrier (it is the scope on the first rifle in the slide show in my signature as below ).

As have just bought a 6-24x50 for my Daystate however, I was going to advertise said Simmons scope for sale at the weekend with its box and all its blurb etc, but if you'd like it £45 inc. secure post will see it yours or £55 with a set of double clamp medium height mounts . Thoughts either way would be good if you could. Atb: G.
    Last edited by Gareth W-B; 22-01-2009 at 07:34 PM. Reason: to ad a price with mounts option.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Hi Gareth,

I would like a scope with mil dots or scb reticle.
    thanks for the offer.
    Best regards
    Kelley
    www.hwownersforum.freeforums.org

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by chip View Post
    Hi Gareth,

I would like a scope with mil dots or scb reticle.
    thanks for the offer.
    Best regards
    Kelley
    ... No worries matey, was just a thought . Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

engin is offline If you can't dazzle them with brilliance...
    Me again!

I have caught up with my HW35 thumbhole owning friend and shown him the photos of your HW35's. I think he is impressed......

Neil says that I am wrong andwhat he has is a standard 35 thumbhole as per your photos. It still has an original ASI 4x32 scope, silencer, ;r#eather sling and period slip.

Neil is refusing to sell (##########!) but would like to know what it is worth.If any of you lot say a fiver and offersix, I will know youare lying!

Neil also has a tub of sussex sabot's and something else he mentioned that might ticke your collecting tastebuds, says he remembers seeing an indian produced copy of the hw35 roundabout ten years ago.

ive an old hw 35
    thats just sitting here
    with what ive just read it might be worth getting a new spring
    and letting it see daylight
    good deals; trefilhunter.. minuteman. SimonS.gran.
    super shooter..dj jon r..ironmonkey

Quote Originally Posted by 8shot View Post
    ive an old hw 35
    thats just sitting here
    with what ive just read it might be worth getting a new spring
    and letting it see daylight
    I gave my old 35 a bit of a birthday in the shape of a mild tuning kit from http://www.airguns.citymax.com/page/page/251327.htm , it a great gun to shoot, very smooth after the tune up. A good gun if you like its idiosyncrasies, that’s probably why its still available after thirty years. It still gives the most pleasure to shot. Remember it’s not always about the ultimate power or the best accuracy; it’s about getting a gun that feels right for you. I have had lots of airguns over the years; I still have my old late 70's 35. Over 30 years of good service. I think it was £65 from the London Airgun Centre (down the side of Charing Cross Station) best £65 I ever spent.
    Rob

Value: a very nice example that a collector would be pleased to own tops £180. Most go for £120 to £140 mark; plus a tad more with toys. Rough under £100; even a lot less. There are a lot around especially in .22 and they are rather old hat. Most most people just keep them as they are hardly worth selling.

From what I can gather an easy rifle to work on and consistent once allowed to settle down. However, difficult to guarantee to get a desired result from the work. So smooth them out and live with the result.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    However, difficult to guarantee to get a desired result from the work. So smooth them out and live with the result.
    That should be the motto of the HW35 Owners Club.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

HW35

If you look at the very early Venom ads when they still worked out of Trapshot of Lye they claimed up to 14.5ftlbs dependant on calibre for the 35. I have never seen one do anything like this, 10.5 to 12ftlb yes but a further 2.5ftlbs must have been achieved by lengthening the piston stroke, of course going this far you may as well get an 80. I think thats good advice to smooth them out and be happy with the end result.

I've just bought what will be my third 35 off here and can't wait for it to arrive.
    Last edited by coburn; 23-01-2009 at 03:02 PM.

Time methinks to trot out a pic of my mid-1950s pre-Rekord trigger HW35 to remind readers what a long and illustrious career this particular model has had. This gun handles really nicely and the early trigger is suprisingly sophisticated, feeling quite similar to the Rekord. The .177 barrel is 22 inches long, same as the model that later became known as the Export. I think all the very first HW35s had the long barrels.

Shown here with a rare bottom wheel diopter, the second pattern of HW diopter. The wheel locks the windage adjustment.

Early HW35