Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: HW35 The Collectable Weihrauch

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    Hi T20 might need some help on 35 tuning. My 35K arrived yesterday and looks to be in good nick. Its been unused for a while and is very "dry" lube wise.

I've fitted an Anschutz Dioptre and it shoots RWS Superdomes into one ragged hole at 12 metres however over the Chrono after a squirt of SM40 in the transfer port I get a mere 520fps with Superdomes and 580fps with Hobby. Not great for .22.

I intend to strip, inspect and lube but can anyone tell me what length a std 35 spring should be?. Also I remember many people on here writing that HW springs of late were fairly mediocre is that true?
    Hi Coburn
    I really couldn't tell you what the original size of a HW35 spring is.
    Perhaps this would explain why

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301845

I hope this explains the situation with my 35.
    As a coded welder I believe there are many HW35's out there with poorly brazed breach block joints.
    Jim Tyler (BTDT) in his recent article in Airgunworld (Feb 2009) says this problem occured in the 1970's in a few 35's, I just wonder if the problem still happens once in a while and gets missed at quallity control.
    I don't think you have one of these Coburn as your power output is fairly high compared to a poorly breach one.

From the Weihrauch site it would seem that the HW35 is only advertised as doing 574 ftps in .22" calibre.

http://www.weihrauch-sport.de/englis...te/e-index.htm

When I get five mins I will scan all the articles I have on tuning the HW35 so that I can send them to other members.

Hope this lot helps you a bit for now Coburn

All the best Mick

HW35 Again

Just retried it over the chrono. Its averaging 9.5ftlbs with Hobby but only 8.6ftlbs with Superdome. I really need to get round to giving it a strip and lube. I suspect a lube problem because in my string of 12 shots with Hobbies its first shot was 618 followed by a gradual decent to 597fps. There was no dieselling or smoke at all.

However whilst I had the stock off I noticed that the spring guide appears to be a synthetic material! I was under the impression that HW's were fitted with those horrible rolled steel ones. Can anyone enlighten me.

Just retried it over the chrono. Its averaging 9.5ftlbs with Hobby but only 8.6ftlbs with Superdome. I really need to get round to giving it a strip and lube. I suspect a lube problem because in my string of 12 shots with Hobbies its first shot was 618 followed by a gradual decent to 597fps. There was no dieselling or smoke at all.

However whilst I had the stock off I noticed that the spring guide appears to be a synthetic material! I was under the impression that HW's were fitted with those horrible rolled steel ones. Can anyone enlighten me.
    Hi Coburn
    Chambers show a synthetic spring guide for the 35, I don't know if this is the standard fitment now.
    With your gradual drop off in power it may be worth checking the breach seal for leakage, these can be shimed out with paper or thin card if needed.

From your chrono results it seems your gun is only 50 to 70 fps below the 12ftlbs limit with Hobbies. I would strip, clean, and lube the gun, I would also change both seals (£10) and see what it does then.
    On second thoughts I would change the breach seal and just inspect the piston seal for wear and fit as it wouldn't appear to be that bad from your chrono results.

If you need a tuning kit for your gun, Bonnie and clyde has just put together a kit for the HW35, check it out on the revue section.

All the best Mick
    Last edited by T 20; 31-01-2009 at 08:37 AM.

I intend to strip, inspect and lube but can anyone tell me what length a std 35 spring should be?. Also I remember many people on here writing that HW springs of late were fairly mediocre is that true?
    Hi, the standard spring I just bought from Chambers is 9 1/4 inches long.