Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weihrauch HW90 Trigger

Smile Weihrauch HW90 Trigger

Help Please
    I have just bought a used HW90 that has a trigger/safety problem - pull the trigger with the safety on and there is a "click", release the safety and it fires. Not good.
    The trigger is what the Chambers site describes as the" later" type.
    Does anyone have any information or a handbook on this unit ,as I would like to try to fix it myself before sending it to a gunshop.
    Thanks
    David
    Old Dog Learning New Tricks

www.lomil.co.uk

I also bought a used hw90 recently, and my safety was dodgy too. Whenever i tried to release the safety, the gun still wouldnt fire, no matter how much i pulled at the trigger. And the button used to re-engage the safety would cause the gun to fire if i pulled it.

Long story short, i spray gun oil in around the trigger mechanism and worked at the trigger and the safety, and it seems to be okay now.

Smile

Thanks Jasey, good to know that i am not alone.
    I have removed the trigger assembly and there is lots of grease in there, so next I will clean it out and try a sensible lubrication.
    Any one else had problems with these ?
    David

www.lomil.co.uk

I brought on of these the other day but when my friend who collected it for me turned up with the rifle it was a HW 80!!!

Its a common falt with the HW90 I hear but its supposed to be a easy fix but I don't know anything about the problem part/s

Lucky you, Rick.
    I think that you've got the Rekord trigger to play with on the 80. I don't know if mine even has a name, but I'm beginning to suspect that it has a poor reputation.
    David

www.lomil.co.uk

It's a while since I had a 90 but I seem to recall a similar problem with mine - especially after I had taken the action out of the stock for some reason and then refitted it. It would not cock or the safety would not engage. I also seem to recall that tightening one of the screws overly much at the trigger guard caused a problem with the safety.
    Steve
    Floccinaucinihilipilificator.

Today I tried the method recommended by Jasey, flushed out all the grease and sprayed in "Duck Oil".
    No difference, just smells nicer !
    Has anyone actually fixed one of these triggers, or do I just send it off to Hull Cartridge?
    David
    Last edited by david9d; 23-01-2009 at 07:33 PM. Reason: TYPING

www.lomil.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by david9d View Post
    Lucky you, Rick.
    I don't know if mine even has a name, .
    David
    The Elite trigger.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

If you ever remove the trigger guard from the HW90 you have to be very careful how it's refitted as the safety mechanism can be damaged on reinstallation, here's an HW90 strip guide with some info re the trigger guard:

HW90 strip guide

Edited to add: I believe it is very easy to shear the safety release pin and chambers is your best bet for spares
    Last edited by northern35s; 23-01-2009 at 10:51 PM. Reason: more info

HW90 trigger

Hi Guys
    I put my HW90 .177 into a different stock and it would not cock unless I pushed in the safety button during cocking. I checked the old and new stocks and it seems that the trigger block sat lower in the new stock than in the old, (I need to cut away some of the stock around the trigger unit to get the trigger guard to sit properly). At the mo I'm shimming the stock with washers to make the trigger guard sit flat, also, if the front screw is over tightened, it seems to make the trigger guard catch on the trigger, pulling it back. i think screw tension is critical as it can move the guard quite a lot.
    It is possible that not all of the stocks are the same.
    When I've cut away some of the wood, I'll let you know.
    regards
    Steve

HW90 Trigger

Thanks to all for the replies.

I.J. - Is the ELITE trigger the early or later unit?. I have also read that the PERFEKT trigger was used on the 90.

northern 35s - Thanks for the link to an excellent article, although there are some differences to my unit i.e. no locking screws to the trigger guard. I will try the re-assembly method later today.

stevef - thanks for the information, it is helping to build up a picture of just how awkward this unit can be.

I wonder why they didn't use the REKORD trigger ?

David

www.lomil.co.uk

The reason, if I recall correctly, is because of where the safety mechanism engages on a springer, at the top and rear of the cylinder, this arrangement doesn't work with a gas ram

Thought this topic would be of current interest.
    To refit the Elite trigger on the HW90 I did the following:
    1. With the stock and trigger guard removed I moved the visible forked 'lug' forward with a screwdriver blade to cock the trigger-but clearly not the rifle!
    2. I replaced the stock and engaged the fixing screws on the side of the stock. Do not tighten-just locate. To refit the trigger guard , I pushed the safety button forward so it slipped easily on to the 'fork'.
    3. Finally I replaced all screws and tightened them up. At this stage I was not able to cock the rifle. Remembering that the trigger was cocked I pulled the trigger and heard a distinct 'click' as the trigger decocked itself. The rifle can now be cocked and fired as normal.
    If before you offer the guard up to the gun you press the safety button you will see the catch move forward so the forked lug will be able to engage it correctly.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    Thought this topic would be of current interest.
    To refit the Elite trigger on the HW90 I did the following:
    1. With the stock and trigger guard removed I moved the visible forked 'lug' forward with a screwdriver blade to cock the trigger-but clearly not the rifle!
    2. I replaced the stock and engaged the fixing screws on the side of the stock. Do not tighten-just locate. To refit the trigger guard , I pushed the safety button forward so it slipped easily on to the 'fork'.
    3. Finally I replaced all screws and tightened them up. At this stage I was not able to cock the rifle. Remembering that the trigger was cocked I pulled the trigger and heard a distinct 'click' as the trigger decocked itself. The rifle can now be cocked and fired as normal.
    If before you offer the guard up to the gun you press the safety button you will see the catch move forward so the forked lug will be able to engage it correctly.
    Totally agree.
    I have fitted a few over the years and this is the correct way when refitting.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    yeah I do the same as Nick, otherwise it just doesn;t sit in there properly, and tightening it down like that would be sure to break something..
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.