Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Older PCP Top 10 Collection List.

In terms of performance the only realistic area more modern pcp's score over the older guns is number of shots per fill - but to be honest compressed air is the cheapest element of this game.

I would without doubt say the overall build quality is superior. Finish is generally better as well - take for instance the old Daystates proper high quality bluing not this crappy looking paint I have seen on their latest offerings.

As to maintenance - the old pcp's rely on seals just the same as the modern guns, I wouldn't say they need more maintenance than modern guns - certainly not compared to some of the tales told in the general airgun section. For the most part the seal are relatively cheap and easy to obtain, some are a bit harder to find but not a massive problem. Some such as the GC2's are expensive for factory servicing, but they seem to last a long time between services so that isn't so much of an issue really. Most of the major components on the older guns don't wear out anyway.

Price wise, I paid £1000 for the stainless GC2, the other GC2's were between £400 and £600. The Ripleys were between £450 and £500, Airstream just over £600. Daystates - cheapest one cost me £40 (for the Mk1 Huntsman sporter) up to around £250 for the ones shown here.
    Last edited by rockdrill; 13-02-2009 at 07:58 AM.

In terms of performance the only realistic area more modern pcp's score over the older guns is number of shots per fill - but to be honest compressed air is the cheapest element of this game.

I would without doubt say the overall build quality is superior. Finish is generally better as well - take for instance the old Daystates proper high quality bluing not this crappy looking paint I have seen on their latest offerings.

As to maintenance - the old pcp's rely on seals just the same as the modern guns, I wouldn't say they need more maintenance than modern guns - certainly not compared to some of the tales told in the general airgun section. For the most part the seal are relatively cheap and easy to obtain, some are a bit harder to find but not a massive problem. Some such as the GC2's are expensive for factory servicing, but they seem to last a long time between services so that isn't so much of an issue really. Most of the major components on the older guns don't wear out anyway.

Price wise, I paid £1000 for the stainless GC2, the other GC2's were between £400 and £600. The Ripleys were between £450 and £500, Airstream just over £600. Daystates - cheapest one cost me £40 (for the Mk1 Huntsman sporter) up to around £250 for the ones shown here.
    Thanks for the info Rockdrill. Lovely guns and not too out of reach price wise, definitely worth collecting.

Grayling is offline Lego Leggaed letch and Lohan Lover with added Moist
    An Englishman & Scouser born & bred AND PROUD!
    Yo Patricio hope you are bringing that Gamekeeper on Sunday coming so we can all drool over it . MallyAlly is wearing three pairs of Skiddies to make sure no wet stains appear on his trousers .

I will bring my Air Arms Shamal serial number 00025 to let you have a look. This was sourced from a club member and is simply lovely to shoot and is soon to get the Mad Mark treatment .
    THERE IS A LIFE IN PEACE AND STRIFE THAT WE ALL HAVE TO LIVE, WE GIVE OUR BEST THEN GO TO REST, WHEN WE'VE NO MORE TO GIVE.
    Co-founder of Treats 4 British Troops

Yo Patricio hope you are bringing that Gamekeeper on Sunday coming so we can all drool over it . MallyAlly is wearing three pairs of Skiddies to make sure no wet stains appear on his trousers .
    Yes Gary I will be bringing it along. Also will take it along to the club tomorrow.

I will bring my Air Arms Shamal serial number 00025 to let you have a look. This was sourced from a club member and is simply lovely to shoot and is soon to get the Mad Mark treatment .
    Looking forward to it, mally said you acquired one. What does the "Mad Mark" treatment entail?.

Quote Originally Posted by camcoll View Post
    I have one of these made almost 1000 before the one pictured. OWNED AND USED BY Don Lowndes himself for many years. Can someone enlighten me of its value-- pending possible sale? Incidentally these had Weihrauch open sights fitted as standard, mine still has them on.
    Hi camcoll,

I sold my old stainless steel Daystate as pictured, with the little Simmons WTC scope, plaited sling and QD swivels, a 7 ltr 220? bar bottle with a brand new gauge, hoses, gunbag, etc, for £250 about 2 years ago. I sold it to a very good friend though, at mates rates, so I think you could ask a bit more than that?

Incidentally, I originally bought the gun about 5 years ago for £75 with a leaking reservoir, got it fixed and serviced for £25. It didn't have the original sights though so thanks for the tip, I'll pass that info on to my mate in case he wants to put the open sights back.

Edit: Out of interest, what pellets does yours like?...curiously, mine shot considerably better with Bisley Magnums than any other pellet I tried, but had a very loopy trajectory beyond 25 yards or so...

Last edited by DCL_dave; 15-02-2009 at 08:22 AM. Reason: What pellets?
    blah blah