Thread: JSR (Leapers) Mini 3-9x32 AO Mildot

Flannelmeister is offline If I'm not on here I'm in the shed

JSR (Leapers) Mini 3-9x32 AO Mildot

I have been after a cheap scope to put on my old HW77K to use for a bit of fun springer HFT and was intrigued by this little scope as the small objective should give good depth of field.

At just £57.95 from our sponsor I thought it worth a punt so I ordered one.

Delivery was up to JSR's normal high standards and it arrived next day along with a pair of Accushot mounts I also ordered well packed in a stout box.

The mildots are true at 9x according to the instructions that came with it, naturally it has an adjustable eyepiece to suit your vision, the scope is springer rated and is a handsome, if petite, chap.

I bolted it on and took it to the club today to get it zeroed in.

The easy to grip 1/4 click turrets made zeroing easy and it was sorted within 10 mins.

As I had hoped, setting it so that 45 yard tagets were just blurred with 40 yards in sharp focus meant that I was able to make out the small spinner set at 8 yards quite well. OK, so it was a bit blurred but I could easily make out pellet strike marks on it so I think it is going to be just fine for its intended purpose. The scope will actually focus as close as 3 yards at full mag so could be a good ratting scope for somebody too. The adjustable objective and the zoom ring seem just right to me, not too stiff but not sloppy either and all in all I am very pleased with it.

http://www.airgunforum.net/agf/uploa...1233427429.jpg

http://www.airgunforum.net/agf/uploa...1233427485.jpg

http://www.airgunforum.net/agf/uploa...1233427521.jpg

The only tiny gripe I would have is that in common with most of these cheaper scopes the crosshairs on which the mildots are strung are marginally on the thick side, I would prefer a more "skeleton mildot" reticule.

I can't fault the glass though, it gives a lovely sight picture that is sharp edge to edge and surprisingly bright for such a small objective lens.
    Last edited by Flannelmeister; 31-01-2009 at 07:22 PM.
    .177 HW97K
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing

The links aren't working.

Sorry, try now.
    .177 HW97K

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Flannelmeister View Post
    Sorry, try now.
    Thanks.

cheers for that review mate answered just what i needed to know

wayne
    HFT 500.177 HAWKE VANTAGE HW97 .177 HAWKE AIRMAX
    http://colnevalleyagc.wix.com/colnevalleyagc and http://www.cambridgehft.co.uk/

Nice review mate, please keep us imformed as to how well it performs after a bit more use.

Been thinking of getting one of these myself

Couple of things I forgot to mention.

1. You get front and rear flip up covers included.

2. The scope is even better value at the price as it is both red and green illuminated. Set towards the least bright settings it works very well but on maximum it is too bright with some glare. Two batteries come as standard so you even have a spare.
    .177 HW97K

Thanks for the review. I'v been thinking about this scope for a while, also for a HW77 as it happens, and this is one of the few scopes that will focus close enough for use in my tiny attic range.
    Last edited by oldhw77; 08-02-2009 at 12:22 PM.
    My name is Craig and I am addicted to multitools

Thanks

Good to have a full review on this, think I may give JSR a call!
    Cheers

Hi mate hows this scope bearing up after some use?

Any updates appreciated

another point of view...

Good review and i felt the same when i purchased one off FleaBay for another Leapers reseller in May this year. But after about 3 months of use it seems to have lost its ability to focus at full mag (x9). As I turn the mag power down (the lower the better) it seems to regain its ability to focus again at longer distances. You are right about the mildots appearing thick - I would say that the small lense size (x32) amplifies the problem…I do find that most cheaper IR scopes do have thicker reticules though. One last issue I found is that the magnification ring is very stiff (the AO isn’t as bad!) and causes a problem if you are trying to ‘sight in’ whilst on target (on shoulder) - you have to take a better grip off shoulder ( move your eye away from the piece) to adjust the mag. However, it is still a great scope for the money, and after much research into the smallest AO scope with the best mag (and mildot), I found that this is still the best option out there. It does focus down to 3 yards rather brilliantly and it is a solid scope. If I could sort out the focus issue (and live with the stiffness of the rings), then i would give it around 4 out of 5.

update

just been fiddling with the fast eye focus, as i have only used the scope a couple of times, and the scope is now fine - d'oh. would recommend (4/5!)

Quote Originally Posted by webb22 View Post
    Good review and i felt the same when i purchased one off FleaBay for another Leapers reseller in May this year. But after about 3 months of use it seems to have lost its ability to focus at full mag (x9). As I turn the mag power down (the lower the better) it seems to regain its ability to focus again at longer distances. You are right about the mildots appearing thick - I would say that the small lense size (x32) amplifies the problem…I do find that most cheaper IR scopes do have thicker reticules though. One last issue I found is that the magnification ring is very stiff (the AO isn’t as bad!) and causes a problem if you are trying to ‘sight in’ whilst on target (on shoulder) - you have to take a better grip off shoulder ( move your eye away from the piece) to adjust the mag. However, it is still a great scope for the money, and after much research into the smallest AO scope with the best mag (and mildot), I found that this is still the best option out there. It does focus down to 3 yards rather brilliantly and it is a solid scope. If I could sort out the focus issue (and live with the stiffness of the rings), then i would give it around 4 out of 5.
    Would this help to assist with mag?

I have put a fishing reel coaster on the mag,ring.So as it is easier to adjust.
    wildaxboxer

his thread http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/show...ight=mtc+mamba

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/d...R/P1000256.jpg

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/d...R/P1000257.jpg

Cheers
    slow is smooth smooth is fast