Thread: Hawke sidewinder 6-24x56 half mil dot

Hawke sidewinder 6-24x56 half mil dot

I bought the scope for £300 in my local gun shop.I decided to go for this scope a I already knew it was a good make and this was also a half mil dot scope which tempted me more.

I fixed to scope to my daystate mk4 with a set of High hawke mounts.It didn't need any packing or any sportsmatch adjustable mounts.I also added the sunshade on out of preference and the side weel was also added for ease of turning to different distances.The first thing I noticed was that the rear lense cap screwed on alright but the front one didn't with the sunshade on.which I thought was a bit strange but I left it in it's highly detailed and well though about case.

I set the gun up at 35 yards within four or five shot the gun was shooting holes the size of a ten pence piece,after 15 shots it was shooting near enough through the same hole.After that I worked out the mil dots and since the targets at my local gun club are set out at 5 yard intervals,the half mil dots came into force and worked a lot better than just guessing the space between mil dots on any of my old scopes.

At 35 yards the picture was crystal clear and it was all the way up to 75 yards.Now this may be my eyes but after that the crosshairs became blured and so did the clarity of the sight to,instead of picking out a blade of grass at 40 yards I was seeing a blurred target and a very faint crosshair,the mil dots appeared to have merged into one long line.

I have to say that the sight is a well designed and the half mil dots are very handy things to have but if your using it at long distances I must say to you have a good rethink.I did and I've now bought the MTc genesis in silver and I can tell the difference already in picture clarity and I havent even fixed it to my gun yet.

Sounds like you need to adjust the rear lens(Ocular)

The sight picture should have the ret clear when looking at any range within reason. Focus the ret by looking at the sky or wall and turn rear lens until it sharpens the ret.

I turn my Hawke sidewinder about 1 full turn out but it depends on each individuals eyes.

Sorry if I am teaching you to suck eggs if you knew that already.

Dean.
    BASC

Thanks for that I've gave that a go and it now looks great.

I have to say I'm a big fan of the Hawke Sidewinders, in particular the TAC 30s with the slighty smaller OBJ lenses...great scope for the money, and the Rets are a big plus point. I don't know which sidewheel you have, but you can get hold of the slightly smaller 2" wheel, which I think is more than ample, and usually clears most issues with loading mags etc.

I think the only downside to them is their weight....they are a little on the heavy side....

PB

Hawke scope

Never had a problem with any Hawke scope........great scopes in my opinion
    Enjoy yourself........it's later than you think !!!