Thread: Zeiss 8x26 T* PRF (Range finder)

Zeiss 8x26 T* PRF (Range finder)

First things first well done to DPD for delivering exactly when you said you would

Now the review

In the box : Range finder, padded carry case, battery, wrist strap, instructions and warranty

Very well padded cordura case with belt loop and snap fastener, pocket inside lid for extra batteries etc.
    The actual unit is bigger than the normal palm sized ones by about 30%, very solid feeling and appears well armoured in rubber, feels very comfortable in the hands similar to holding mini binos. The unit is made in Japan
    Eye piece is full size with a nice fitting rubber cover and all controls are easy to reach, Adjustable eyecup for glasses wearers and a focusing ring that is firm and smooth in operation.
    Optical quality is quite simply stunning, I think this could easily double up as a spotter and the binos might be left at home. Two buttons on top, one to set up yards/meter (there are ballistics but I've yet to explore and set to yards, US 0) and the ping button, 1x CR2 battery is inserted into the front next to the lens, the reticle is best described as a circle with subtensions at 12,3,6,9. Display is in red so no problem in the dark, on with the pinging, point and press and you're good to go, furthest I ranged today is a sheep at 1436y, everything I have ranged up to that distance has been no problem and always displays a result, I'll try it on smaller animals when I get the opportunity.
    My one niggle with it is you can only attach a wrist strap to secure it out of the case, for the money I would have liked the choice to fit a bino strap and carry them around my neck as the optics are good enough to use in place of binos, but I suppose this way, they will be put away safe for next time. I don't have a similar quality unit to compare against but for the money I don't think anything comes close, is it worth paying twice than a Bushnell unit, in my opinion its more than twice as good so yes

Hope you find this of use, regards Pete
    Do nothing, achieve nothing

Nice review Pete and having bought a really nice s/h one of these recently from this site, I would agree with everything you said. Like you I find the optics very good and these pretty much eliminate the need for separate binoculars, which was what I had in mind when I bought them. The strap is a bit of a niggle and I too would like to see a proper binocular strap rather than a thin cord....

Incidentally, I was told that to get an absolutely accurate range you should use the 6 o'clock part of the circle, but this doesnt seem to make much difference at the ranges I'll be using it for (sub 300yds). These are a great piece of kit and I too would highly recommend them.

Yes I'd also heard for the longer range stuff to use the 6 o'clock aim point

Sounds a superb bit of kit guys. What price was it pete new

Just over £500