Thread: Leapers Accushot 4-16x56 30mm ri scope

bytethebullet Guest

Leapers Accushot 4-16x56 30mm ri scope

I have been looking for a new scope for my BSA Ultra for a while now and concienciously researching alll the forums for the best advice.
    The scope I had was a BSA Essencial fixed magnification of unknown values.
    I wanted a scope that had adjustable magnification, Illuminated recticle with mil dots easy adjustment fof Windage and elevation (Instead of those fiddly adjustments that break your nails),and most of all it had to have side wheel adjustable focus for range finding etc. and just looking really cool
    What caught my eye was an advertisment by J,S,Ramsbottom in the monthly magazine was swat side focus bargains.reading the list I found the 4-16x56 with side wheel.ri,sunshade,lens covers.and the right price.
    I quickly researched as much as I could on the web but found the only review was by some guy in America that had about as much experience as me.
    I thought the price is right for a gamble on the quality and so ordered one.
    I did look for S/H but nobody had one for sale.
    I ordered the scope , Mounts, and sidewheel and was pleased with total cost.
    Anyway next morning (J.S.R s) normal service. The scope arrived.
    My first thoughts were "Blimey thats a big box they packed it well" hah when opened ,the box inside was almost as big.Oh well lets have a look at it,and when I took lid off box I thought wow thats beautiful it looks just like the expensive scopes I have seen.
    A thorough check to make sure that there was no visible damage to it and a decision to mount it on to the rifle straight away.
    The Mounts (accushot 30mm) were easily secured to the sight dovetail on the Ultra and with the tops of the mounts removed the sight was placed onto the mounts,the sidewheel was unpacked from its sales card and temporarily fitted to sight. Easy push fit onto side turret just line up the marks as specified in instructions.
    Next to position sight to give suitable eye relief to your requirements,If you have side loading and/or a magazine remember to leave clearance.
    That done,make sure the verticle cross hair on recticle is upright before fitting top covers to mounts and secure evenly using allen key provided.
    Do not overtighten mounts to scope body for risk of crimping tube.
    All that done very easy and no problems.
    The sidewheel is finally secured with 4 No.Grubb screws equally spaced around outer edge of wheel.Again remember to just tighten these no more than is nessesary to hold wheel secure.
    The overall quality of finish and construction appears to be as good visually as most other scopes I have examined.only the lens covers appeared to be a bit on the cheaper side of finish.
    The recticle has a nice thin cross hair with mil dots at even spacings and the battery fitted to the eye bell turret gave a choice of red or green illumination to the centre area of cross hairs.
    these were a bit glary at brightest settings but were very nice at lower settings.
    Today I took it down to my club for Zeroing on the range and learned a little more about it. The click adjustments on the windage and elevation turrets are nice and smooth if just a little stiff, sighting up the range at the targets at 10.20.30.40.and 50 yds I thought how nice and clear it was at mag factor 10. the focus was adjusted by the sidewheel and gave sharp focus to each of the distances. The thing I noticed first was that when it snapped into focus on the 30yd target the focus wheel marking was showing at 25yds,
    Will have to learn more about this rangefinding.
    Zeroed at 30 yds at mag 10 on scope it was easy to see pellet strike, a couple of shots at 10yd target gave me a zeroed reading as well,
    20 yds was zeroed at 1 mildot up the cross hair (I thought this is easy) but it needs more attention for the longer ranges.
    You probably realise that I'm not very experienced with this type of shooting but I'm learning fast.the bottom line is that this scope seems to be a nice bit of kit for a minimum ammount of money.....and it looks good on the Ultra.

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/2852/gunscope6sr0.jpg
    Last edited by bytethebullet; 08-02-2009 at 09:54 PM. Reason: add photo

I to own the same scope and mounted on the dinky little Air Arms S200 I have it does look quite a lump, however it's bright and clean image is a delight and in practise the only problem i have with it is the side wheel is a bit stiff to turn, other than that i think these scopes off er excellent VFM and as ever the service from our sponser JSR is excellent.
    ...... Adapt....To......Survive.....

scope

i have 2 of these scopes and i like em , the sidewheel is a bit tight on one (the others fine ) but well made and ex value!

have to agree, I had a play with oddjobs today, think they must be the compacts?? 4-12x44 rings a bell??

but was impressed by the quality and size/weight, think I will be keeping an eye out for one to replace the hubble space telesope thats on top of my gallery rifle at the moment
    Don't worry it only seems kinky the first time

Thumbs up

Thanks very much for the review mate.

I was pondering what scope to get to replace the no-name 3-9x50 that came with my rifle, and I think you've just sold me on one of these!

I saw one of these on an Ultra last nite at the club. Very nice looking scope with a lovely clear picture. I'm sorely tempted too.

Well read the review and same for me I will now go ahead and get this scope thought it may perform ok after doing the same ol'same ol' and trying to get info on it and this does it for me the sponsors scope will be sitting on the gun come the weekend

I have the 4-12x44 on my .22lr and it allows the shooting of 100yd bunnies, it was previously on my .17hmr and was good for 200yd shots.
    As you say good clear/crisp optics for not much money!!

thanks for the review. Been looking at one for several months. Are the turrets resettable? Meaning can you site in and then adjust the turrets to 0 so you can use them for adjusting distance?

what a great review!!!!, looks like you put alot of time in-to this.

Thank you for a good review