Thread: When I was a lad...

When I was a lad...

I got involved in a conversation at work, yesterday, involving airguns, and one of the chaps I work with reckoned when he was a lad, he used to own "a Webley air rifle with two barrels - .177 and .22". Being the only shooter in our department, I was naturally expected to be the font of all knowledge in such matters ( - they don't know me that well), but I can honestly say that I've never heard of such a Webley. I must also add that I'm far from knowledgable about pre-1970s airguns! My question is this - was there one, and what was it called? (Alright, TWO questions!).

I proceeded to bore them with how spring/piston airguns are dedicated in their manufacture to a certain calibre, and that to simply switch barrels would offer a fairly variable performance, blah, blah...but I suppose pretty much anything went when airguns were in their youth?

Can any of you airgun nerds answer this one, please?

Thanks!

Chris
    S410K + AAF 4.51 =
    Anschutz 1417 .22lr (thumbhole)
    16" CZ452 Varmint .17HMR

177 & 22

I remember a Webley that came with two barrels, it must have been in the late 70's. problem is, i cant remember the model.

Rob

Could have been a Webley Hawk (1970s) or even a Webley Service (1920s to 1930s).

Webley with two barrels

Chris,
    Early seventies both Webley Hawk MK1 and MK2 were offered with .177 and .22 barrels, quickly changable by the shooter. Even earlier in the 1920's and 30's Webley Mk2 service rifle could be supplied with up to three, .177, .22 and .25. Probably another manufacturer offered similar, I don't know I'm afraid.
    ATB
    BSA & Webley

hawk

Its a hawk got one , with both barrels .
    Sportsmatch GC2 numbers ,190, 252, 279.Steyr LP1 &LP5,EV2 mk4
    Whiscombe JW 50 FB Number 0012 & JW 60 Number 031, ,CR-X,

I went to school with a lad who had one, wasn't it called the Webley and Scott Hawk interchangeable?

Thanks, lads

Just Googled it, and I'm sure I once shot one! I do remember the Hawk, now - but didn't know it had interchangeable barrels.

Appreciate that.
    S410K + AAF 4.51 =
    Anschutz 1417 .22lr (thumbhole)
    16" CZ452 Varmint .17HMR

Hawks

You chaps had better watch your P's & Q's. 'Once had a hawk with both barrels' and.... "I think I once shot one", hope you chaps are talking Webley Hawks and not 'Hawks' amazing what you can write and be misunderstood these days by the OMG it's a killer gat brigade.
    ATB
    Rob
    BSA & Webley