Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 20yd/25yd benchrest

Ah thanks for the second tip John. I was trying my prototype front rest last night and did notice some very odd shots occasionally. Now I have still got a bit of work to do with pellets, as you well know, but I shall now get rid of the sponge (the back of a mouse mat) and replace with a small sand bag.

One of the guys shot a 100.1 on the benchrest targets last night using a bipod and sand bag (rimfire) he was still a little disgruntled not having more 10 extras...some people eh

Dan

I have the stickers for my local team. The lads will start shooting this week.

The stickers arrived and the cards have been sorted out, we will start at the end of Sept when everyone is back from holiday, there ia a good buzz about this comp, and lots of questions as to who will do better ie..22rimfire or .177 air rifle, all the comments so far have been stopped in there tracks as they see the degree of difficulty to obtain 10.1 is quite a challange, in the few practice cards that hae been shot a lot claimed the had taken the 2mm ring out, but the shot also cut the 9/10 ring.... so they will have to try that bit harder t get the shot cntered

Thanks for your efforts John, we hope this will be an ongoing comp as there ae a few members now wishing hey had commited toit a bit earlier, could you give me a rough idea of how we give you an average for subs if they have to be used , as we are all shooting this for the first time

Iain D

reserves

Quote Originally Posted by Iain D View Post
    The stickers arrived and the cards have been sorted out, we will start at the end of Sept when everyone is back from holiday, there ia a good buzz about this comp, and lots of questions as to who will do better ie..22rimfire or .177 air rifle, all the comments so far have been stopped in there tracks as they see the degree of difficulty to obtain 10.1 is quite a challange, in the few practice cards that hae been shot a lot claimed the had taken the 2mm ring out, but the shot also cut the 9/10 ring.... so they will have to try that bit harder t get the shot cntered

Thanks for your efforts John, we hope this will be an ongoing comp as there ae a few members now wishing hey had commited toit a bit earlier, could you give me a rough idea of how we give you an average for subs if they have to be used , as we are all shooting this for the first time

Iain D
    Hi Iain
    It is always a good idea to have a couple of reserves who are familiar with the rules and targets
    Once the reserves have had some practise, just sign half a dozen cards for each reserve and let the reserves shoot them on the range in accordance with the leagues rules.
    Witness and date their targets and score them to get an average that can be submitted to me with the e-mailed score cards if you have to substitute these shooters for the nominated team members

ATB
    John
    hold me back !!

rifles/pellets etc

It would be interesting when we start collating results is to record the rifles, pellets/ammo, scopes and rests used by the air rifle shooters and similarly for the rimfire shooters.
    The results should point to the best rifle/ammo combinations for the discipline and help shooters decide what equipment give best results

At our club i have found that a standard Anschutz 1407 with a 20 power scope and Eley Match bullets is more than capable of hitting the ten almost every time
    However going clean with an airgun is not so easy

Best results so far are from a reg'd AA400 with some very early JSB's, a Ripley with AA pellets and one member who has not had too much success with his AA MPR previously,yesterday tried a batch of 4.52mm AA pellets from the clubs stock and found that these were pure magic.

He hit 100+ ex 101 on 6 consecutive practise targets with these pellets.The pellets were checked for head sizes and any under 4.46mm were rejected.

2 other club shooters lucky enough to buy some of this batch have also had very good results with 98+'s and 99+'s shot with the pellets straight from the tin.
    Unfortunately this batch has now been snapped up.

Another rifle that looks very promising is a Daystate Mk3 with 4.52mm AA pellets.
    John
    hold me back !!

rimfire versus air rifle

Results for the bench rest competition are now being received and there is a very wide spread of scores.
    Match rimfire rifles are getting the highest scores which is no surprise but a number of air rifles are hitting cards of 99+ and 100+
    No shooter has opted to use a recoiling air rifle which is not too surprising, although we have a few club shooters in our club who can achieve scores of 94/95 ex 100 with their HW 98's and 77's

I have made out a summary (in word) of rifles being used which should be of interest but it will not copy into this thread, so I will e-mail it to clubs with round 1 results

Match rimfire rifles feature in 16 teams
    Sporting rimfire rifles feature in 12 teams
    Recoiless air rifles feature in 17 teams

keep the scores coming in and good luck to all
    John
    hold me back !!