Thread: 20yd/25yd benchrest

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

20yd/25yd benchrest

My club members have been shooting 25 yard benchrest for the past 2 years now and we have found that a good pre-charged air rifle such as the AA400 in .177 will almost match the accuracy of a .22 rimfire rifle off the bench at 25 yards. On the 25 yard NSRA rimfire target a good air rifle can average 99+ as long as the correct ammo. is used and a good high mag scope
    The Midland Shooting League is considering introducing 20 yard/25yard bench rest for next winter, beginning September 2009
    However they will only do so if there is a demand for the discipline
    For ranges that only have a 20 yard facility, a scaled down version of the target will be used

If any BBS readers are members of a rimfire or airgun club which does not already shoot in the midland league and would like to field teams of 3 for the winter season, please let me know

LATEST UPDATE 3.7.09
    THE COMPETITION IS TO GO AHEAD. RULES HAVE BEEN FIRMED UP
    PLEASE SEE POST 38 OF THIS THREAD

 .. .. .
    Last edited by pennineway.fswo; 03-07-2009 at 11:25 AM. Reason: update 3.7.09
    hold me back !!

Hi, John

Sutton Coldfield R&PC would definitely be interested. We could field at least one team and possibly two. Please keep us updated and let me know when you will need confirmation of the teams. Many thanks.

benchrest

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphoon View Post
    Hi, John

Sutton Coldfield R&PC would definitely be interested. We could field at least one team and possibly two. Please keep us updated and let me know when you will need confirmation of the teams. Many thanks.
    Many thanks
    Will do
    ATB
    John
    hold me back !!

Buxted County HFT Republic of Crowzilla Sussex
    Is this just an invite for Midland clubs or nation wide.

Andy
    Buxted HFT Garage Guns are Us. Home of Crowzilla Doppers doughnut corner and SiHFT winners 2007 2008 2009 2010 2017 2018 2019.

midlands league

Quote Originally Posted by simmmo View Post
    Is this just an invite for Midland clubs or nation wide.

Andy
    Hi Andy
    This is a good question. I posted the above to try and get clubs in the Midlands interested

However I do know that county boundaries are not rigidly applied by several regional shooting associations/bodies

I will therefore discuss with the leagues chairman the option of opening up the proposed benchrest league to clubs that are outside of the Midlands region
    I will post his preference/views
    ATB
    John
    hold me back !!

looks interesting, however rule 1.3 means that rests suitable for NSRA competitions would not be allowed. Could I suggest that the NSRA or uk 22 br specs are adopted, therefore allowing more people to compete without having to obtain another rest.

Love to discuss further.

I'm at the british air champs this weekend if youre there. If not drop me a line.

Liam
    Liam Webster

Hi, John

Hi there, I shoot with Rocky at Sutton, and wil definatley give it a go!!!!!
    Make every shot count.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon25 View Post
    Hi there, I shoot with Rocky at Sutton, and wil definatley give it a go!!!!!
    Good man! I'll put a scope on my Annie 54 and pop along for Tuesday practice. See you there.

Good man! I'll put a scope on my Annie 54 and pop along for Tuesday practice. See you there.

It wil be interesting to compare to my Anschutz 2002 FT
    Make every shot count.

Red face 25 yard indoor bench rest Yorkshire League Rules

I am new to bench rest, been researching on the internet i.e. UKBR22 and other sites and went ahead and bought front and rear sand bags only to be told that you can't use them Yorkshire League rules. Only some form of simple front rest allowed.
    Does anybody have the rules for allowable front rest designs before I spend any more money.
    EV2 ~ HW30S ~ ST22 .22LR ~ Marlin 39 .22lR ~ CZ452 LH .22LR ~ GSG1911 LBP .22LR ~ Walther KKK Match ~ Anschutz 1813~SAM60 .22LR Free Pistol~Walther LPM1~Steyr LP10~Walther PPQ-M2 LBP~HW97K

rests

As I posted above, there are a number of issues with the Yorkshire rules that handicap the air rifle ie. wadcutters only(not good enough at 25 yards) and a simple hard front rest (no good for the recoiling air rifle)
    So the rules that I have proposed for the Midland league clubs will allow an adjustable front rest and a rear rest (same as allowed in UK22BR competition)and of course round nose lead pellets for air guns

NSRA rules do not allow a rear rest. However I shoot in NSRA competitions and in a league that uses UK22BR rules and find no problem in adapting to the 'no rear rest' rule. Scores come down naturally without the rear rest but by only a fraction of a point ex 100 for both rimfire and airgun
    hold me back !!

If you are organising it, John then implement whatever rules you feel are best. We'll see how the first season goes then any changes can be implemented for the next season. TBH, I will probably shoot with my 54 draped over my range bag using the cheapest ammo from Bates and a bargain Hawke scope.

If you are organising it, John then implement whatever rules you feel are best. We'll see how the first season goes then any changes can be implemented for the next season. TBH, I will probably shoot with my 54 draped over my range bag using the cheapest ammo from Bates and a bargain Hawke scope.
    Thats the spirit.

In Midland League 20 yard light weight sport rifle we have 11 divisions that cater for the top guys in div. 1 who shoot 96+/card to old Joe who is 89 years old, shakes like a rattle and celebrates if he hits the black.

It's all about enjoying the sport and in the case of benchrest, it prolongs shooting for some of the rimfire old timers who struggle with the diopter sight and getting up from the prone position

ATB
    John
    hold me back !!

yorkshire league rules

I have just had a discussion with the Secretary of the Yorkshire Smallbore League during which we discussed the rule for wadcutter only pellets for air rifles
    He informed me that the Yorkshire League will now allow round headed pellets to be used in benchrest competitions. The rulebook will (I would think)be updated accordingly.
    This brings their rules into line with NSRA rules other than their targets are very similar to the UKBR22 targets and are scored to give a possibility of 11 points/shot.
    hold me back !!

Quote Originally Posted by pennineway.fswo View Post
    it prolongs shooting for some of the rimfire old timers who struggle with the diopter sight and getting up from the prone position
    Already a problem for me at the age of 39!