Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MTC Mamba & Viper

Good review mate

I recently bought a secondhand Viper 10x44 and put it on a new HW97K.

I'm really impressed with it and they make a lovely couple

I'm now looking for another one to replace the 10x42 Merlin T Class on my Mk4 Daystate.

Rick
    Displaced Grumpy Old Yorkshireman www.fortairgunclub.com

Big Dave is offline Formerly known as Badger410
    I have had my 4-16x50 mamba for a few months, I had a 10x44 Viper for a short while, bought s/hand hoping it would be an improvement on the Mamba for HFT. I found it to be as good but no better, so I still use the Mamba.After looking through a few other (some way more expensive) scopes, as possible replacements for the Mamba, I can say, I'm truly impressed with it.

Anyway......

Quote Originally Posted by Rubi-tong View Post
    I have the 10x44 Viper, awsome scope BUT I wish MTC would bring out a fixed 10x36 or a 2.5-8x36 etc with the scb reticle, Same spec as the Viper just smaller and still side PX but no need for a wheel. Perfect for HFT and hunting, it WOULD sell very well. So how about it, get in there first before others do

I'd like to second the new scope proposals but.. can I have mine with Mamba turrets please?

Mamba Scopes.

Good to read that the MTC scopes are being well received; I have been unlucky in that I have gone through two Mambas in the last 6 months - the first had a siezed magnification ring, and the replacement started to internally bloom with the illuminated SCB reticle and started to lose the zero after a few trips out (gun travels in proper case and is carefully handled) so I have lost a bit of faith in their build quality from my own experience.

MTC have been great though - spot on customer support and exchanges done as a one for one and with no quibble at all.

I'm looking for a replacement now from another maker (running on a Nikko Sterling Mountmaster bought on here for now) but am struggling to find a scope with equivalent bells and whistles for similar money.

It'll probably be a N-S Nighteater 4-16 44 and I'll do without the illuminated reticle to keep the saddle focus (nice).

Cheers

I use the Viper 6x24x56 on my BSA T10, can't fault it in anyway
    Cheers Al

Erskine, Renfrewshire, Not a long way from Glasgow
    I have the Mamba in 4-16x50 and like it a lot, the only problem I have is "white out" when it is getting dark and I'm looking towards any kind of brightness at all, even poorly lit sky or lit up areas show up this issue.
    Anyone else have this problem?

Cheers

Kenny

Mamba 4-16x50 Problem

Is yours a recent purchase Kenny, I purchased a Mamba 4-16x50 last week and it had a major problem with contrast and 'white out'. So much so that when tested on a sunny day in woods you couldn't see a 15mm target at 15 yards, not that great for HFT!
    I took it back and got a full refund. Great shame as it had everthing I wanted and the recticle was great. Maybe a bad batch?

Mike

Excellent reviews!

I had a 10x44 viper a while back on a BSA Lightning I had, only changed it because I prefered a lower mag to shoot with. Nice scopes.
    Check out my Photography Web Site here

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1 View Post
    Is yours a recent purchase Kenny, I purchased a Mamba 4-16x50 last week and it had a major problem with contrast and 'white out'. So much so that when tested on a sunny day in woods you couldn't see a 15mm target at 15 yards, not that great for HFT!
    I took it back and got a full refund. Great shame as it had everthing I wanted and the recticle was great. Maybe a bad batch?

Mike
    This wasn't the one from Woodies was it?

Gary,
    Yes that’s the one; I am still looking, and would love to buy an MTC with good contrast and without the ‘white out’, like the majority of the ones referred to on this thread. Would Mamba 3-12x44 be a better bet?
    Mike

Erskine, Renfrewshire, Not a long way from Glasgow
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1 View Post

Mike
    Hi Mike, I've had mine for about a year, but have noticed the white out getting worse and recently it's really bad when in lower light conditions.

Cheers

Kenny

I can't comment without seeing the scope. If there's a problem, simply send it back and we'll sort it.

Mike - your scope was checked by staff at Woodies and found OK, so from that point of view I am not sure how we could help. If several people cannot see white out and 1 can, then I would see it as being head position and without being together it's difficult to diagnose remotely.

If you were able to get up here I'd be happy to let you select a scope and help you zero your rifle indoors.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Well I think my Viper is the nads -- one of the best scopes I've got. Which is a shame really, as if it was rubbish, I could have a pop at Gary, coz I really don't like him . Ha ha ... Got white out ??? Raise or lower you face on the cheek piece 'til you find the optimum line, simples ...

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Excellent

I have a big Viper on my HW100 and a Mamba on my Mk3. They are both fantastic. I just wish the did the SCB reticle on the smaller scopes so I could get one for my HW57.

Gary's explanation sounds true...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary C View Post
    I can't comment without seeing the scope. If there's a problem, simply send it back and we'll sort it.

Mike - your scope was checked by staff at Woodies and found OK, so from that point of view I am not sure how we could help. If several people cannot see white out and 1 can, then I would see it as being head position and without being together it's difficult to diagnose remotely.

If you were able to get up here I'd be happy to let you select a scope and help you zero your rifle indoors.
    ...to me. If I get lazy with my head position my 10 x 44 loses its sharpness which acts as a handy kick up the backside to concentrate When head position is taken care of I am back to pin sharp optics.....so now MTC appears to include a free training tool in the box!

Atb Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

I think with scopes head position is quite critical, and this is true for the Viper. But my Viper and HW100 combination was the most accurate I've ever shot.
    B.A.S.C | HW100Tuning KT250bar+reg+tune .177+4-16x50 | HW95.177 +4-16x44 + Paul Short Stage 4 & Trigger Tune | TX200HC.22 + 4-16x44 | HW97KT.22 + 4-16x44 + Paul Short Stage 4 & Trigger Tune