Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vintage hunters

vintage hunters

took my bsa mercury out hunting last night after a total rebuild had just one shot and dropped a rabbit at about 30yrds with a clean head shot into quite a strong wind on the severn estuary would of been happy if i took it with my s400 but to do it with a gun that was fit for the bin 6 months ago and probably not used for 20 years was a real buzz ......how many of you other older gun fans still use them to hunt with on a regular basis i certanly will be from now on
    S400 Carbine

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Sniper View Post
    how many of you other older gun fans still use them to hunt with on a regular basis i certanly will be from now on
    Even though I mostly use my CZ Varmint HMR, CZ Varmint .22rf, and my .20 Theoben Eliminator (FAC) for hunting these days, I still do take out my late 1980s sub 12ft.lb Webley Omega carbine (.177) to hunt with from time to time, as it still brings home the bacon (well, bunny ), and is still a real joy to own and shoot . Good thread topic this. Atb: G.
    Last edited by Gareth W-B; 27-04-2009 at 03:46 PM. Reason: to ad bit about the bacon being bunny :-)

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Sniper View Post
    took my bsa mercury out hunting last night after a total rebuild had just one shot and dropped a rabbit at about 30yrds with a clean head shot into quite a strong wind on the severn estuary would of been happy if i took it with my s400 but to do it with a gun that was fit for the bin 6 months ago and probably not used for 20 years was a real buzz ......how many of you other older gun fans still use them to hunt with on a regular basis i certanly will be from now on
    Does a standard Mercury have enough oomph to hunt at 30 yards? I thought they were an 8-10 ft lb sort of gun in standard guise and 30 yards might be stretching its little old legs a bit?

I use my Webley Vulcan from time to time, it has a gas ram and is light, accurate and pleasant to shoot. It helps that I have a gem of a scope on it too, its a proper 80s Tasco 2.75x40 with a nice crisp ret and beautifully clear optics - its an ideal ratting scope or for short range, standing shots around the pheasant pens

I still use my Webley Tracker now and again, had two squirrels a couple of weeks ago and both were clean kills. I have also taken a couple of feral pigeons with a Mk1 Meteor in the past.. Great satisfaction with a good shot from an old classic

I had an early Webley MK 3 a while back-it was proficient out to 20 yds using the open sights-quite satisfying to boot! The inspiration for that particular hunt was an article in one of the magazines where the author went hunting on consecutive days with his Superten MK3 then his BSA Standard
    Never go off half cocked....

All lies matter

[QUOTE=Slacker24seven;3514882]Does a standard Mercury have enough oomph to hunt at 30 yards? I thought they were an 8-10 ft lb sort of gun in standard guise and 30 yards might be stretching its little old legs a bit?

my mercury has been quite heavily tuned and although i have"nt chrono"d it for a while would say its firing in the 11"s which in 177 is ample and out to the 30yrd its very accurate have been doing extensive testing and fettling before using for hunting so don"t worry this was it"s first trip out since i first stripped it just after christmas i never shoot anything unless i"m pretty sure
    of the outcome and i have fired over a 1000 shots on the range and at home before i was happy
    S400 Carbine

my old bsa standard no2 made in 1929 has accounted for many squirrels and pigeons and the odd rabbit over the last couple of years,power is not a problem, my old eyes are ! even with the excellent sight picture one gets with the bsa standards long sight radius.hence i limit myself to 20yrds for hunting ..i shoot 22-250 and 17 hmr but theres something special about getting your dinner with a rifle thats older than i am..cheers greasemonkey
    Last edited by greasemonkey; 27-04-2009 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
    my old bsa standard no2 made in 1929 has accounted for many squirrels and pigeons and the odd rabbit over the last couple of years,power is not a problem, my old eyes are ! even with the excellent sight picture one gets with the bsa standards long sight radius.hence i limit myself to 20yrds for hunting ..i shoot 22-250 and 17 hmr but theres something special about getting your dinner with a rifle thats older than i am..cheers greasemonkey
    My Vulcan and my Beretta 686 are both older than me!

edbear2 Guest
    Just 10 mins ago got my second big rat of the day with a 1928 BSA ladies model.......I dont hunt as a rule, but this is an exception as they have set up home under my patio paving and are noshing the bird food......bold as brass and feeding all day!.......at 8 yards with hobbys the gun has got both through the left ear as they stick out there heads from behind a hollow log

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    This thread has been moderated, and a couple of posts off topic which contravene the gentlemanly nature of this section have been deleted. My decision, and mine alone ... This is not a democracy, and I will not have even the mildest of insults or unkind comments in Collector's Corner, not on my watch. This is an interesting thread so lets keep it going, and on topic.

Thank you: Gareth W-B.
    Last edited by Gareth W-B; 27-04-2009 at 08:15 PM.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

I dont hunt anymore myself, but the pleasure i get from using some of my collection of older rifles at club is top. Very often to see someones face when i turn up with a gun they never dreamed of seeing let alone using takes some beating. I recntly used an old Relum Tornado to teach the son of my best mate the basics of saftey and shooting with open sights, he has now progressed to a a gas ram bsa lightening. A gun dose not have to be new or expensive to be enjoyed. atb to all and enjoy youre collectables.

ps Gareth , like your link to Pans People!, what abot Hot Gossop!.

I'm 26, and I shot my first ever rabbit (a fair while ago now!) with a BSF 55 in .22.
    I've shot, snared, trapped, ferreted, netted and coursed tens of thousands of rabbits since, but that one will stay with me always!

I've still got the rifle too, and about 30 others, up to .243win, but that little BSF will always be a favourite. I will have to take it out again in the next few weeks methinks.

Jamie
    Professional Pest Control without Poisons - Trapping and snaring equipment - www.jllpestcontrol.co.uk

An over Vacuumed cottage in NEWPORT Isle of Wight
    i spent most my youth hunting with the mercury.

id love to own one now!

my cabinet is crammed with all manner of rifles but not one will bring back as many memories as the mercury can.

fantastic little rifle.

Hi
    I think the bsa mercury is a great air rifle i have three at the moment,the one i use most is my 177 mercury challenger with a jap tasco 4x32 scope, i have spent a lot of time on this one and it shoots very smooth, one of the best things to change on the later models is the cocking lever do away with the factory one and make up a solid one useing the two front links from the original one. i have taken a lot of rabbits with this rifle i just love it.
    JJJJJJ