Thread: "How Good Was Black Powder?"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MikB View Post
    It certainly was that. I'd long suspected that the UK habit of shooting round ball didn't exploit the capabilities of the guns or the energy availability from the powder. MikB
    Sir - not sure what you mean by this comment. The British were among the first to see the advantages of elongated bullets - back as far as 1842, IIRC - and actually went to the Crimean War with the Pattern 42 and 53 rifled musket - both of which shot a Minie bullet and not a round ball. True, they were rather slower to adopt metallic cartridge, bullet-firing handguns, but so was everybody else. Over the other side ofthe Atlantic Ocean, The War of Northern Agression was fought on both sides with ball-firing handguns.

tac

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Sir - The War of Northern Agression

tac
    Yep!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Sir - not sure what you mean by this comment. The British were among the first to see the advantages of elongated bullets - back as far as 1842, IIRC - and actually went to the Crimean War with the Pattern 42 and 53 rifled musket - both of which shot a Minie bullet and not a round ball. True, they were rather slower to adopt metallic cartridge, bullet-firing handguns, but so was everybody else. Over the other side ofthe Atlantic Ocean, The War of Northern Agression was fought on both sides with ball-firing handguns.

tac
    Sorry, Tac, you're quite right historically. I meant in the modern BP shooting fraternity. I might be out of touch since it's 20 years since I shot a front-stuffer revolver, but all of the BP shooters in the pistol club I was in used round ball, and conical bullets were never to be seen.

(I got an impressive picture of a repro 1861 .44 going off around that time, but can't find it now... )

Regards,
    MikB
    ...history... is, indeed, little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind. (Edward Gibbon: Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)

Quote Originally Posted by MikB View Post
    Sorry, Tac, you're quite right historically. I meant in the modern BP shooting fraternity. I might be out of touch since it's 20 years since I shot a front-stuffer revolver, but all of the BP shooters in the pistol club I was in used round ball, and conical bullets were never to be seen.

(I got an impressive picture of a repro 1861 .44 going off around that time, but can't find it now... )

Regards,
    MikB
    Ah, right. You gots to remember that over the Great Water they are allowed to go handgun hunting with a BP handgun, and do. Hogs are favourite game with stocious loads in the likes of the ROA with ball or conical - I'm told that it IS possible to get over 45gr of FFg in behind a ball, but obviously I've never tried. My walker, however, easily takes 55gr of FFg and a ball, and shoots it very well, thanks.

tac