Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HFT too 'clean'?

I thought both courses this weekend were very well thought out and in places pretty evil.

A huge thanks to Bozzer for shooting with me cheers mate you are a star
    I'm not broken.... reality is.

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonicman View Post
    I thought both courses this weekend were very well thought out and in places pretty evil.

A huge thanks to Bozzer for shooting with me cheers mate you are a star
    Hey up mate ...

It was a pleasure shooting with you fella ... I really enjoyed both days. If we shoot together again and end up getting the 35 yard stander as our first peg again I think we may have to have a word with the organisers.

Boz

Quote Originally Posted by bozzer View Post
    ... but that's because I probably like shooting in and amongst woodland and I think the guys at Tawd give you something to think about on every target.
    Boz
    [Sorry. Only just seen this. ]

We could have made use of our upper woodland range, the site of the practice/dump shoot HFT of 10th May, but we thought for our first national we didn't want to frighten anyone off.

Woodland range

'Jenny the Wonder Dog' She wonders around where she wants totally ignoring her master voice - Ray (Raygun).

From the firing line.

While this range is superb to shoot and a challenge when covered in the full foliage its not as disabled friendly as the lower range and more dependant on the weather.
    Maybe next year or for our charity shoot (Sun. 9th Aug. )

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Ian

It was excellent at Rivington fella. I'd love to pop up one weekend and shoot there and probably visit the Tower as well.

That ground at the top looks great.

Thanks for putting those pics up.

Boz

Quote Originally Posted by Herx77 View Post
    Some courses are good, some are very good,some are very very good,others are the 'Devils Work' and the setters should be burnt at the stake..
    Challenging courses can look easy but the scores show otherwise,and you don't need trick targets but there is always a place for the unusual in courses but the status of courses should be considered before introducing them.
    Thats not to say trajectory traps shouldn't be used, and controlled deceptive shooting positions laid.
    Sometimes with the best will in the world targets are not the same for the first as for the last,an example being reducers that are shot to sh*t making the definition of the kill zone vertially impossible for the late comers.
    Such is life,interesting very interesting...
    HERX77 .

Mmm, I likes a good Barbie does me. I'll take that as a complement Mike

LittleChief, if you like a good challenge then pop down to our Summer Sizzler on the 6th September. Not only will you get 60 shots for your money, but it's "old school" Hunter FT which we are now calling "Classic HFT" to distinguish from UKAHFT.

It's not in competition with UKAHFT, just an alternative for the traditionalists amd masochists. No reducers, few pegs which can be used as a rest and no forced positions. You shoot prone kneeling or standing as dictated by course design

It won't please everyone, but will be fun.

Bob
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

BARPC

Basingstoke Air Rifle & Pistol Club. Founded 1975

Quote Originally Posted by bozzer View Post
    Ian

It was excellent at Rivington fella. I'd love to pop up one weekend and shoot there and probably visit the Tower as well.

That ground at the top looks great.

Thanks for putting those pics up.

Boz
    Cheers Boz,

We hope to use the upper range as part of our annual Charity Shoot HFT style course (Sun. 9th Aug.) dependant on the weather. Due to the incline its not that Disabled Friendly but we hope to have 15 targets in there and 15 on the lower range to give us a very mixed variety of settings.

Turton Tower is set in the beautiful surroundings of the Lancashire hill county. From the top of the woodland course you can see over Manchester to the mountains in Wales. But why you should want to look at Wales .....

ATB
    Ian
    Last edited by I. J.; 14-05-2009 at 10:29 AM.

Tamworth, Staffs 198 miles North of Calais :D
    Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Cheers Boz,

We hope to use the upper range as part of our annual Charity Shoot HFT style course (Sun. 9th Aug.) dependant on the weather. Due to the incline its not that Disabled Friendly but we hope to have 15 targets in there and 15 on the lower range to give us a very mixed variety of settings.

Turton Tower is set in the beautiful surroundings of the Lancashire hill county. From the top of the woodland course you can see over Manchester to the mountains in Wales. But why you should want to look at Wales .....

ATB
    Ian
    To see if Sparky is comin to get ya
    Atb
    Cliff
    Unique S400 Classic with MTC Viper 10x44

Herx77 is offline "Instruments of the light"
    Quote Originally Posted by Prone Shooter View Post

LittleChief, if you like a good challenge then pop down to our Summer Sizzler on the 6th September. Not only will you get 60 shots for your money, but it's "old school" Hunter FT which we are now calling "Classic HFT" to distinguish from UKAHFT.

It's not in competition with UKAHFT, just an alternative for the traditionalists amd masochists. No reducers, few pegs which can be used as a rest and no forced positions. You shoot prone kneeling or standing as dictated by course design

Bob
    Ahhh,traditional HFT, with a touch of mayham,and a sprinkling of the Diabolical,and with perhaps a visitation or two from the 'underworld', almost makes me feel at home..
    HERX77 .
    Fighter against the "Dark Arts" A stranger in an even stranger land.
    GC2+Leupold 14.4-34x45
    AA400 fac receiver+sidewinder 8.5-34x52
    Weihrauch HW77k fiddled with and doing what it wants to +Zeiss 3-9x36.
    Weihrauch HW90k
    Weihrauch HW97k learning from above,now sporting a Maccarri 77/97 target stock..+Bushnell 3200.Go on shoot one you know you want to
    Daystate mk3 RT Delux + bushnell 4200 8-24x 40Does what it should again & again.
    Fwb 124 + Optima was good is good!
    Webley Vulcan.

Quote Originally Posted by Herx77 View Post
    Ahhh,traditional HFT, with a touch of mayham,and a sprinkling of the Diabolical,and with perhaps a visitation or two from the 'underworld', almost makes me feel at home..
    HERX77 .

It should do, you've shot a few of them now mate

Bob
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

BARPC

Basingstoke Air Rifle & Pistol Club. Founded 1975

Quote Originally Posted by mintyrn10 View Post
    hft should be a hunting scenario comeing across quary in the field and shooting it accurately before it pissis off not ,,, hang on bunny just let me lay down and if you dont mined moveing that piece of grass or stick so i can shoot you i dont do to much hft for that reason and if i do its kneeling and standing only not prone
    Why should it be a hunting scenario??....don't talk cobblers. HFT is a target sport. would you be happier if we tied real rabbits to the targets, to make it more like real hunting...like?...or have hollywood style blood squibs that exploded when the target was hit?

Another FT shooter coming on to kick HFT....try both, properly, otherwise you are opnining on something you know sod all about.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

Quote Originally Posted by Gold View Post
    To see if Sparky is comin to get ya
    Atb
    Cliff
    Im off to sharpen my banjo and hide behind a plate of tripe.

ATB
    Ian

Alegazmoz is offline Southern Hunter Burger Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    .... would you be happier if we tied real rabbits to the targets, to make it more like real hunting...like?...
    'kin-tastic-arf!

wouldn't they fall over easier though?

Quote Originally Posted by Prone Shooter View Post

Bob
    Like this idea Bob! Would you mind if I steal your format for one club shoot? I think we might have a "Classic HFT" at LV in June for a change. No 15mm but maybe a few 25mm's.

Change is as good as, like

Acid House is offline Rivi's very own Shrek (and Coronation Street fan).
    Id just like to stick my oar in even though I didn’t shoot either course.
    I think some of the fun was removed from the Rivi course but think this was unavoidable for two simple reasons.

The first was the effort of trying to please everybody in relation to those who want a clean shot from the peg. And secondly the fact that it was set in and for our usual wind. In fact I haven’t been on our outdoor range without at least a 10mph wind swirling round the top corner of the field (until Sunday that is).

If the wind had held it would have been much more interesting and I believe a much lower scoring day (especially if we were allowed to keep the flagpole target at full height, it’s a funny feeling when it swings out of one side of your scope view and then out the other ).

All in all though a good day and plenty of smiles. Well done to all, some dammed good shooting and some very dedicated people seeing the distances travelled.

Made me laugh when one bloke said he wouldn’t like to shoot there in December. That’s the beauty of having an indoor range up your sleeve. Nether do we.....

As for the hunting bit.........all I can say is its a good job your all in camo and real tree coz if those tin targets had got a look at you they would have been off....... your all potty as a bottle of crisps and very good company...

As for me being the only one making the effort in my best bow tie, nurse says if I am a good boy I can play out again next time.
    Enlightenment is only a click away http://www.rivington-riflemen.org
    If a man talks in the woods and nobody hears him, is he still wrong?

As has already been said on here H.F.T. is essentially a target sport albeit held on rough terrain.Above all it should be fun and enjoyable for everyone taking part regardless of ability and equipment.Its no easy task setting a course that suits everyone ,but what we must keep in mind is that a course should offer a 13 year old lad out with his first springer a chance of returning a half decent score as well as having more challenging elements for the more experienced shooters.All in all I reckon most times the course setters do a pretty good job on this count .Again i repeat keep it fun, once the fun goes out of the sport i reckon i wont be far behind.