Thread: relum tornado

relum tornado

just got a 1970s relum tornado in mint condition, as its not been used for such a long time thinking maybe to change the spring and piston seal, whats the best fps could i expect from this with new spring fitted etc, how are they for handling and whats the grouping like or will the slug just go anywhere except the target, does anyone know.

If it's never been opened,it will have 2 springs.

P.S if I remember rightly,a meteor spring fits,if you can't source the
    2 original types.

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

hi ,theres a few of a rare breed on here that dabble in the relums,im old enough to have been around when they were sold from club books!!.
    at best they knock out around 10.5 ft lbs and gave a reasonable degree of accuracy considering the build;the double spring was a gimmick that provided a twangy let off that gave the newby the impression that it was more powerful than it actualy was,with a new spring [meteor] if mem serves and a polish and lube of internals things can be improved,parts can be obtained from
    a shop i know and if yours is lacking a scope rail as they were an extra i make them at a reasonable price .
    hope this helps bob.
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

relum

thinking more in terms of putting in a modern spring and piston seal with maybe a few other alterations here and there to make it a smoother rifle has anyone been bothered to do this on a relum , i know there not worth much to warrant this kind of attention but its something id like to have a go at.

relum

Its the loading tap sealing that decides the power on these gems,I use some Blue Hylomar in the tap area,gave me an instant 30fps, 7-11ftlbs can be expected.
    Vick at protek supplies has some bits for these, pm for phone.

Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    thinking more in terms of putting in a modern spring and piston seal with maybe a few other alterations here and there to make it a smoother rifle has anyone been bothered to do this on a relum , i know there not worth much to warrant this kind of attention but its something id like to have a go at.
    The leather piston seal is fixed with a rivet, and the seals on most examples will now be in poor condition. The rivet is easily drilled out.

I turned up an adapter from acetal to accept a 26mm Weihrauch piston seal, and Araldited the adapter into the piston. It gives a good seal, but will be better when I find time to size it.

A cut down HW77/97 mainspring should fit (haven't tried one yet). When I have a spare one kicking around I'll give it a try and turn a spring guide for it.

There's a bearing surface on the top face of the cocking link that bears against the cylinder when the rifle is cocked - most will have worn away. Replacing that with one from Acetal made the rifle MUCH smoother and easrier to coak.

Details in Airgun World, January 2009.

HTH

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

Relum cocking arm thingy

I got a really rough one off another forum last year and tried brass,brake liner and eventually 1/2 the bush from a butterfly tin opener. Having found on Chambers web site that it is meant to be Nylon,on a recent relum I got, I just lifted the thing out of the slot and put a bit of araldite in and then replaced it,leaving it about 2mm higher. I was going to post this cock up so Ive done it here.

Breakdown Picture

Heres a link to a Tornado breakdown picture.

You can get most spares for Relum's at TW Chambers.

http://www.gunspares.co.uk/shopdispl...4&cat=Tornado#

Im still looking for a sear for a Relum telly 200 if anyone has one.
    Shooting is a sport not a crime.

http://topshot.fotopic.net/

shot my first wood pigeon with one in the 70's just bought another love it.

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
    The leather piston seal is fixed with a rivet, and the seals on most examples will now be in poor condition. The rivet is easily drilled out.

I turned up an adapter from acetal to accept a 26mm Weihrauch piston seal, and Araldited the adapter into the piston. It gives a good seal, but will be better when I find time to size it.

A cut down HW77/97 mainspring should fit (haven't tried one yet). When I have a spare one kicking around I'll give it a try and turn a spring guide for it.

There's a bearing surface on the top face of the cocking link that bears against the cylinder when the rifle is cocked - most will have worn away. Replacing that with one from Acetal made the rifle MUCH smoother and easrier to coak.

Details in Airgun World, January 2009.

HTH
    thanks for all the info everyone , will be looking to using a weihrauch seal set up with spring guides and odd delrin parts here and there. there a gun you could have a go at improving without to much cost and if everything goes tits up and it gets ruined , well could always buy another.

Hi 1984, I just love tornado`s soooooo much. Been looking for a really mint one but no joy, if You want to sell it please give me a shout!! Cheers mate, gambo.