Thread: crosman 1322 help

crosman 1322 help

good evening all,I have a crosman 1322 medalist made 1979 and the problem is i have just resealed it and it still doesn't hold air,i bought a seal kit from mr Knibbs swapped all the components one for one which was easy enough and re assembled it and nothing so where have i gone wrong?
    should i have used any lubes or oils in the reconstruction process?
    any suggestions or advice greatly appreciated thanks in advance Graham

Quote Originally Posted by grezoor View Post
    good evening all,I have a crosman 1322 medalist made 1979 and the problem is i have just resealed it and it still doesn't hold air,i bought a seal kit from mr Knibbs swapped all the components one for one which was easy enough and re assembled it and nothing so where have i gone wrong?
    should i have used any lubes or oils in the reconstruction process?
    any suggestions or advice greatly appreciated thanks in advance Graham
    If it's leaking into the barrel the exhaust valve has not sealed.

If you can't build up pressure in the valve the check (inlet) valve is at fault.

Try putting a couple of drops of oil directly into the pump and pumping up to pressure.
    If it holds it's pressure put the gun to one side and leave it pumped up overnight.
    This normally beds the valves in.

There are other causes such as weak valve spring and the central O ring leaking but I'd try the oil trick first.

Have you tried cocking the gun before pumping?
    Was the inlet valve the same as the old one (they have changed)?

All the best Mick

thanks for the advice mick i will try the oil option first,i will pm you for more help if needed if thats ok with you? regards Graham

thanks for the advice mick i will try the oil option first,i will pm you for more help if needed if thats ok with you? regards Graham
    No problem Graham.

All the best Mick

Hi,sounds like the exhaust valve mate just like T20 says,i ordered one from chambers the other week for my 1322 unfortunatley they sent the wrong one,does mr knibbs have a good stock of spares for crosmans as chambers dont seem to have a lot and what were the prices and delivery like.
    bikeboy luvs his monkeys

Quote Originally Posted by barrie36 View Post
    Hi,sounds like the exhaust valve mate just like T20 says,i ordered one from chambers the other week for my 1322 unfortunatley they sent the wrong one,does mr knibbs have a good stock of spares for crosmans as chambers dont seem to have a lot and what were the prices and delivery like.
    Hi Barrie

I don't think John Knibbs has a very large stock of Crosman parts.
    Well he didn't last time I asked him, but you can ring him on 01675481006.
    Or you could try here http://www.sdcustomdesign.com/

If you have the earlier three piece exhaust valve (stem, brass holder and plastic seal) it's possible to dismantle it and replace the plastic seal.
    If you warm the brass up the stem will pull out and the plastic seal will be released.
    You can then replace the plastic seal and reasemble.

Newer valve seals are made from PTFE.
    Having run out of PTFE, the last couple of valves I repaired I used Polyethylene and after a years use they're still working well.

So far I have never bought a new Crosman valve in over thirty years of owning one.

All the best Mick

hello Barrie
    i agree with Mick,John Knibbs range of crosman spares isn't exstensive but he does stock seal kits at £25 a go,always worth a ring though if you need any thing else hope this helps regards Graham

hello Barrie
    i agree with Mick,John Knibbs range of crosman spares isn't exstensive but he does stock seal kits at £25 a go,always worth a ring though if you need any thing else hope this helps regards Graham
    Hi Graham

£25, bloody hell I paid less than that for my first 1377 when it was new.
    I'm starting to feel very old.

I have heard that John isn't very quick in filling orders by post, there was a thread in the general section a while ago about it.

I'm lucky in that I call in at his shop when I'm working in Shustoke so I have no problems with his service.

There is also a shop selling Crosman valves and other parts on Evil bay (Krwent), who I can recomend for fast service by mail order. It looks like he hasn't got any 13xx valves on offer at present but it's worth getting in touch.

All the best Mick

Thanks for your replys guys,mine is the long 2 piece model with the long odd shaped stem,i will try the heating up the brass to release the stem,i was going to try digging it out with a pin but thought better of it,i had a look on that website it seems pretty good has anyone bought from them before.
    bikeboy luvs his monkeys

Thanks for your replys guys,mine is the long 2 piece model with the long odd shaped stem,i will try the heating up the brass to release the stem,i was going to try digging it out with a pin but thought better of it,i had a look on that website it seems pretty good has anyone bought from them before.
    The stem retains the seal in the brass cap Barrie (I Loctite them in as well),the seal is just a small plastic washer.

You can glue a small O ring in the cap if you're just using the gun for plinking but this tends to lower the power a fair bit as the valve doesn't brake cleanly.

You can view the two different types of valve seals in this
    http://mp661K.com/sitedocs/13xx_HotRod.pdf

I have not used the site I listed (sd custom) but the owner is a respected BBS member.
    The seller on the Bay is also a respected BBS member and I have dealt with him myself with no problem at all.

All the best Mick

Hi Barrie
    I forgot to say if you're stem has a flat ground down it then it's altered to reduce maximum power.

I also forgot to say that BBS member gedfinn 2 said that he had some new exhaust valves for sale a while ago.

All the best Mick

Crosman Seal kits

Hi Guys,

If you are looking for seal kits for Crosman, try Jim Giles at www.crookedbarn.com, he can usually source even the older models, and even with the postage cost from America, they are very reasonable and you get the full set of o rings etc., and a tube of lube thrown in!

Cheers

Griff

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Hi Barrie
    I forgot to say if you're stem has a flat ground down it then it's altered to reduce maximum power.

I also forgot to say that BBS member gedfinn 2 said that he had some new exhaust valves for sale a while ago.

All the best Mick
    Hi yes mine has the flat down the sides,ive got the seal out as you suggested,i fitted an oring to get it shooting again but will find something better asap,ged has been in touch regarding this and has offered his help hes a very clever guy when it comes to pump ups and has helped me out before,thanks for all your help,cheers barrie.
    bikeboy luvs his monkeys

Hi yes mine has the flat down the sides,ive got the seal out as you suggested,i fitted an oring to get it shooting again but will find something better asap,ged has been in touch regarding this and has offered his help hes a very clever guy when it comes to pump ups and has helped me out before,thanks for all your help,cheers barrie.
    Hi Barrie

If it's got the flat sided valve, throw it away asap and fit one of Ged's full power valves and save some pumping.

All the best Mick