Thread: Best (classic) pistol for 6-8 yard shooting?

edbear2 Guest

Best (classic) pistol for 6-8 yard shooting?

I found out last night, whilst chatting at a range, that a pub fairly close to home has a fun sounding shoot, targets, then knockdowns....quid in a kitty, bottle of wine for a prize...sounds very informal and interesting.......thing is I think its pistol only...SO.......wishing to have a go, but also not use any Co2 or modern stuff, what are my options with a budget of say £150 tops

This leaves out walther LP's etc. (unless I find a ratty one)......I am leaning towards a webley, or should I go for an original or similar.......accuracy is the main consideration, and I would prefer wood and metal...ie. no plastic!!!!

Any thoughts, or recommendations would be gratefully taken on board.

A Diana/Original model 6M/10 or, if you can get one for the money, an FWB 65/80. You won't go far wrong with any of these. Failing that, a pre-War Webley Mk2 Target. You won't win the wine but you'll get lots of admiring looks.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    I found out last night, whilst chatting at a range, that a pub fairly close to home has a fun sounding shoot, targets, then knockdowns....quid in a kitty, bottle of wine for a prize...sounds very informal and interesting.......thing is I think its pistol only...SO.......wishing to have a go, but also not use any Co2 or modern stuff, what are my options with a budget of say £150 tops

This leaves out walther LP's etc. (unless I find a ratty one)......I am leaning towards a webley, or should I go for an original or similar.......accuracy is the main consideration, and I would prefer wood and metal...ie. no plastic!!!!

Any thoughts, or recommendations would be gratefully taken on board.

it's a shame my model5 Original has plazzie grips as it's a lovely pistol (i wish there was an informal shoot at a boozer close to me)

>>>Original mod5<<<

john
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

webley

A Webley sounds ideal for 6-8 yard shooting personally i would go for something like the Webley tempest you can pick them up for about £60 and usually bomb proof plenty of power and with a bit of practise quite accurate you can get a ten pence size grouping at 8 yards hope this helps

I found out last night, whilst chatting at a range, that a pub fairly close to home has a fun sounding shoot, targets, then knockdowns....
    Which pub is that if I may ask?

As for pistol: Webley senior for real steel credibility, surely. Though a 6/10M will be far, far more accurate.

Steve

(yes, Norf London now, but formerly of malvern...)

at 6 yards id be tempted to make a peg gun and save the £150 for beers
    S400 Carbine

Lp53

Hi

How about a not ratty one for £145 delivered?

Or a Weihrauch HW70 for £70 delivered?

Or (if not too modern) a Daisy 717 single stroke pneumatic for £75 delivered??

e-mail me for info and pics!

Was going to put them on the BBS when I get round to it anyway!

Pity the pub is nowhere near me!!

BFN
    ATB
    David

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post
    Which pub is that if I may ask?

As for pistol: Webley senior for real steel credibility, surely. Though a 6/10M will be far, far more accurate.

Steve

(yes, Norf London now, but formerly of malvern...)
    Hi Jerry.........pm sent.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    it's a shame my model5 Original has plazzie grips as it's a lovely pistol (i wish there was an informal shoot at a boozer close to me)

>>>Original mod5<<<

john
    Which one is this please John;

http://www.henrykrank.com/vap185.html

I have shot the originals in the past.....and they are great, but to me they look a bit like a baby rifle action in a big handle!. wheras the webleys/walthers look and feel a bit more "pistoly".......cant think how to explain it, I suppose its a balance/weight thing.....altough the original is far better in actual balance.......oh sod it!.....I'me sure you know what I am trying (badly!!!) to explain.

The one at kranks does look nice, but its the old VCR job....ie. hassle to get delivered......I will wait until I have checked the place out before going to the bank......it might be a rohm/hammerli electronic trigger/rapid fire fest for all I know so far!......(in which case it will deffo be a webley for me)

evening, 3 pistols i would go for are, 1, Original Model 10,-simply awesome, points like an extension to my arm, 2, Hammerli Master co2, simply superb in every way, 3Bsf S20, one of the best Spring pistols ever made in West Germany. atb.

classic pistol

hi edbear,for a classic at that range and without breaking the bank why not try a webley-i regularly shoot bell target with a junior the one with a rifled barrel.i've never been tricked on the bbs so if you'ld like to try one then i'm prepared to let you borrow mine for a couple of weeks to see if they suit you.my gun is not for sale and i'm not trying to sell you anything.my home phone is 01268 510713 by all means give me a call if you wish i'm home most days after 1600 hrs.regards nik

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by air revolution View Post
    hi edbear,for a classic at that range and without breaking the bank why not try a webley-i regularly shoot bell target with a junior the one with a rifled barrel.i've never been tricked on the bbs so if you'ld like to try one then i'm prepared to let you borrow mine for a couple of weeks to see if they suit you.my gun is not for sale and i'm not trying to sell you anything.my home phone is 01268 510713 by all means give me a call if you wish i'm home most days after 1600 hrs.regards nik
    Hi Nik.......Diamond Geezer!!!!........thanks mate for the offer, but a guy has promised to bring one in to work for me to play with.........luckily he hasnt seen THIS:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3122848...7612720070636/

ffg and jetex fuse.....I'll say no more....it was years ago, when they were pennys from junk shops........I know what its off, and what it would be worth now