Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many shoot pistol crossbows?

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

How many shoot pistol crossbows?

Tony, I believe you have one. How many others own/shoot one of these little critters? They look like a lot of fun. How powerful are they? How accurate?

I'm not talking here about something expensive: I've seen them advertised in the $15 - $35 price range.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    Tony, I believe you have one. How many others own/shoot one of these little critters? They look like a lot of fun. How powerful are they? How accurate?

I'm not talking here about something expensive: I've seen them advertised in the $15 - $35 price range.

Jim
    Yes I do Jim,
    Mine has an 80lbs prod on it and it is accurate, sadly I dont use it much as its just too ruddy powerfull for my back garden.

I was using a professional dartboard as a target at around 10M
    I started off with 20 bolts, now down to 5 as the dartboard (2inch thick)is capable of halting the bolt sadly they tend to break on the stem.
    I did try firing into my pellet catcher that is capable of halting my 11+ ft/lbs .22 at distances from 2inch to 10M with a dent in the metal behind it.
    I tried the bow on it the other day
    It was at 10M, the bolt went through the putty (Is I figured it would) but it also pierced the baking tray steel backboard (thicker than your standard pellet catchers)

So in my opinion they are far more powerful than my .22 11+ ft/lbs rifle and I would rather be shot with the rifle than the pistol bow. Far better chance of surviving

Tony
    UBC Secretary & Web-Manager
    THL Marksman of the Year 2010
    (Airgun Section)

Are they a pain to re-cock? I'd always fancied one of these, but thought that maybe that particular action would become tiresome very quickly?

Quote Originally Posted by humperdingle View Post
    Are they a pain to re-cock? I'd always fancied one of these, but thought that maybe that particular action would become tiresome very quickly?
    Not that difficult. My experience mirrors Tony's above, too stressful to use in the garden.

Rich
    Wanted - Venom Mach 1/2 Trigger

We had one of the Cobra pistol crossbows with 6" bolts.

Basically cocked like a break barrel rifle and wasnt hard. Quite accurate too but you have to hold it like a rifle really and hold the foreend grip. Used to shoot it at 18mm ply. Go in solid and could never get the bloody things out without the tip coming off or bending it 'wiggling' it loose.

Cheers
    Stot
    Guns: SLR98 - Phoenix - Ultra - HW45 - P800
    Chronographing: www.chronoconnect.com

These things sound a lot more powerful than I thought!

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Jim, they are seriously deadly when it comes to the penetration power.

I cant understand why these are not held on some sort of permit as they are capable of so much more devastation than even some fac air guns.

Mind you, I am glad they are not.

As for cocking, the break action of mine makes it a breeze easier than my 6ft/lbs rifle.
    Some use a pull back system, I can see those being a bit more difficult to cock.
    The older ones that use two fingers on two hands and a foot to cock, well thats much more difficult
    (Airgun Section)

ok

im selling one if anyone fancies a go..50 lb pull weight,,good condition with 4 bolts,,£15 posted,,can email pics?

Garry is offline I scrolled the page up too fast and it fell off
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Sniper View Post
    Jim, they are seriously deadly when it comes to the penetration power.

I cant understand why these are not held on some sort of permit as they are capable of so much more devastation than even some fac air guns.
    The scariest thing about them is seeing the sorts of shell suited knuckle scrapers who are buying them in the gun shop. I think twenty quid for something like this is making it look like some sort of toy.

Quote Originally Posted by neil1972 View Post
    im selling one if anyone fancies a go..50 lb pull weight,,good condition with 4 bolts,,£15 posted,,can email pics?
    Please post pics, Neil. Do you have the same problems (overpowered, overpenetrating) with the 50-pounder that Tony and others mentioned with the 80?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by GarryP View Post
    The scariest thing about them is seeing the sorts of shell suited knuckle scrapers who are buying them in the gun shop. I think twenty quid for something like this is making it look like some sort of toy.
    I was thinking about getting one - just for plinking in the back yard - but they sound more like they belong out in the country!

Jim

Garry is offline I scrolled the page up too fast and it fell off
    Don't let me put you off Jim!!
    My only problem with these is that they are sold at pocket money prices, which means some irresponsible people won't put a great deal of thought in before buying one.

See if there are any archery forums for advice on suitable targets, backstops etc.
    If you're shooting safely with your airguns, no reason you won't be safe with a mini crossbow, and suitable precautions.

I bet if you get one, you'll be moving up to a full size one within a month!

ATB
    Garry

I would love a full size (The Barnette Wildcat II or something similar) xbow

But it would have to be for display purposes only

180lbs prod will send a bolt one hell of a long way

Could allways fill my shed with ballistic vests and shoot through the wooden sides

Most archery clubs will not accept people wishing to use Xbows.
    "F off RAMBO" or similar is their usual reply

Tony
    (Airgun Section)

Don't let me put you off Jim!!
    My only problem with these is that they are sold at pocket money prices, which means some irresponsible people won't put a great deal of thought in before buying one.

See if there are any archery forums for advice on suitable targets, backstops etc.
    If you're shooting safely with your airguns, no reason you won't be safe with a mini crossbow, and suitable precautions.

ATB
    Garry

Jim