Thread: Idiots guide to classic airgun strips (pt 1)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

ASI Magnum strip (pt 1)

A very nice chap off here sent me one of these to play with. I did not try it before the strip and the action was already out of stock but here goes. Undo the 2 front stock screws on the underside of the fore end and the two screws on the trigger guard. To remove the trigger guard you have to pull the safety lever on the trigger unit down and wangle the guard off. Take the action out of the stock and watch out for the piece of tube that sits in the stock near the stock bolt. replace it now so you wont forget it. Undo the barrel pivot bolt and lift out the barrel and breech block, complete with the cocking arm which is rivetted. Watch out for the 2 plastic shims. If you want to remove the plunger and its spring, you will need to drift out the sleeve that the barrel pivot goes through and the shims go on. clean, grease and replace this now. There are two pins at the rear of the cylinder that hold the trigger unit and end cap. Drift these out and remove cap and trigger unit. The next step is VERY IMPORTANT-----There is a scope arrester on the scope rails---you need to undo this screw before you attempt to strip the gun further. Once you have done this, get your bit of tube etc to push against the guide/block that the stock lug screw goes into. When you are pushing against this block, use a spanner to undo the lug and when it is undone, release the pressure on the block and the block/guide,mainspring and piston can be withdrawn. Go to part 2
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

ASI Magnum strip (pt2)

I did not remove the piston seal (parachute seal) but it looks like you would have to put the piston rod in some soft jaws of a vice and undo the screw holding the seal on with a large screwdriver. Clean everything up and put it back together. Put piston and mainspring in the cylinder and then the guide and its block (on this one the guide came out of the block but maybe some are in one piece?). Push down on the guide and then locate and screw in the stock screw lug. Refit the arrester and screw on the scope rails. Locate trigger unit and end cap and refit the two pins. Slide breech block/barrel and shims into the jaws and locate the cocking arm at the same time. Replace barrel pivot bolt. Drop action into stock and pull safety arm down and wangle the trigger guard into place and replace the screw. Replace the two front stock screws.
    I dont really like gamo,s as I find then pretty souless AND some of the bolts,screws and pins can be really tight. This came with a spring that seemed too small in diameter for the size of the piston so I fitted a larger diameter one of a similar length. As the sights were missing I tried an ASI 4 x 20 with a single post. After 6 or 7 shots that dieseled , the gun settled in and seemed pretty good for plinking. I reckon a better scope would help (even an smk 4 x 20) but this was a period piece. Not my cup of tea but ok for nostalgia for someone. Trigger unit looks like it would be easy enough to strip but I have not checked whether you can get hold of the parts.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"