Thread: Stoke Mandeville summary thread.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    06.07.08 another work party went ahead, Baxterbasics summed it up better than I could.

I can thoroughly reccomend getting involved in this project lads-more like fun than work Great banter all weekend with plenty of good natured pi$$taking all round A lot was acomplished this weekend, but there is still a massive amount to do to get the centre into a respectable state.
    What an incredible women Rosie (club secretary) is-a real ray of sunshine-I don't think you could meet a more positive attitude anywhere. Her enthusiasm is contagious-she worked tirelessly all weekend plus kept us fed and watered-enough tea to sink a battleship
    Watching the wheelchair rugby was very humbling-these guys get maximum respect from me-showing a level of courage and determination that made me feel ashamed of myself. A couple of the lads looked a bit misty eyed as we trooped back to the shooting range.
    We all sat down to a Chinese meal last night, had a few-Cough!- drinks, a great atmosphere all weekend and I for one will be back there for the next weekend

If you ever got a chance to watch wheelchair rugby (its on youtube, but better live) do so. Total commitment from the players, and totally engrossing for the spectators.
    "Improvise, adapt and overcome."

I can count to potato.

Lobberman posted a few photos that gave a feeling of how it went for some of those present.

This years must have accessory the MANBAG !

http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/2307/pic017ld7.jpg

One usually has one's servants do this !

http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/5335/pic020wh1.jpg

I am not a mornings person

http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/8269/pic016rs8.jpg

I can count to potato.

The next project was going to be the biggest yet, the back walls.

(Rotten) timber framed, and clad with asbestos, there was no way they were repairable, they had to go.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...r/DSC00304.jpg

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...r/DSC00305.jpg

I can count to potato.

Rikki, the DTSGB chairman was kind enough to take the tiem to register and post, to give his thoughts on works so far.

"Dear All

Sorry it's taken me to long to get on here and write. I really want to say that you are all a great bunch of people.

You will probably never realise how much we at DTSGB owe you for all your kindness, generosity and hard work. I know that you those of you who came down a couple of weekends ago said you felt humble watching the wheelchair rugby etc - but you can't believe how humble we all feel when we see the work you are all doing for us. I really think that we will have a shooting range to be proud of. The the work you have done so far has already made so much difference. Whenever I speak to Rosie (THE BOSS!), we spend most of our time talking about how good the range is looking and how grateful we are to you all.

Sorry I couldn't be there for there for the last weekend, but the day job was calling and I couldn't get out of it! Sadly, I can't be there for the next one as I'm picking up my new car and getting the hand controls fitted.
    Anyway, enough of this rambling b*########*s (Ha - I'm not putting any money in the Rosie swear box!).
    Once again, can I just say THANKS to you all and one day I will meet you and have a beer (or 5) with you.

Thanks again.

Rikki
    CHAIRMAN (BUT NOT THE BOSS) - DTSGB"

I can count to potato.

Rosie then updated us on how the upgrades were going with the DTSGB membership

" Where does the hot water come out of?
    Hi Everyone
    The question above may seem obvious to most people but it was the question most asked this weekend when we proudly showed them the water heater in the kitchen. They could not believe it when we told them it came out of the tap!! and then when we showed them the sink in the ladies loo also had hot water there was a queue to use it. Even more amazing there is NO water coming under the side wall, even after the heavy downpour last weekend. We also had lots of 'that looks good' as people came in through the front door and saw the newly painted lobby. We got everyone together on the Saturday morning and went through all the things you had done at the refurb weekend and the extra money being raised by Steve, I nearly got to the end of the list without blubbing but talking about having hand dryers in the loos started me off. So before I start again this message comes with a big THANK YOU from every member of the DTSGB.
    Rosie "

I can count to potato.

04.08.08 The order for the building materials went in, it gives an idea of the scale of the next bit of the job.

"
    420 linear metres of sawn&treated 4x2.
    28 sheets of 2400x1200x18mm exterior grade ply.
    28 sheets of 2400x1200x70mm celotex board.
    5 ton of 20mm stone.
    2000 1.5" No.8s pozidrive screws.

"

I can count to potato.

Terry prepared for the Big Working Weekend.....

"And I've had the Audi polished and my BlackBerry is fully-charged!

Huzzah!"

I can count to potato.