Thread: BSA Mercury Challenger restore

BSA Mercury Challenger restore

Hello,

I have a BSA Mercury Challenger which I has some light corrosion "speckles" on the barrel and other parts of the metal work. I would like to restore the metal work then the gun would be virtual like new. Does anyone have a suggestion on where i might start with this?

Thank you

David

Contact Colin at Mancheter Air Guns and get an idea on costs of a re blue would be a good place to start.

THIS site, and, of course input from the members on here may also be useful.

Welcome aboard David.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

edbear2 Guest
    Hi David, and also a nice gun to start with!.....your description of the rust, without seeing the gun, is hard to advise, but, if it is light, say from damp storage, It maybe worth buying some extra fine grade wire wool, and using a good light oil, give it a VERY gentle rub on the affected area, checking and wiping with tissue or clean cloth often....sometimes this will remove the worst of the rust, and leave the blue intact, with just "spotting" which is hard to see unless you have a close look....you may have a nice suprise!.....if the rust has eaten in deeply, then you have to remove metal to the depth of the rust penetration and reblue, which is a £50 plus job...so its well worth trying this method first....do a google search for "removing rust from gun barrel"...you will get lots of hits with good advise also....have fun with it, thats what its all about!

its lightish

Hello Guys, Thanks for the welcome and the advice - i think the barrell spots are from storage so might be worth trying that first. I stupidly lent it to a friend about 18yrs ago when I was a young man as at the time leaving home i had no where to keep it let alone shoot it. He kept it in the loft I think and I got it back a couple of years ago

I asked another friend about the restore and he said it wasn't worth getting it done profesionally as it was an "old BSA". Although I wasn't doing it for financial reasons (I don't intend to sell it), what do others think? Is it worth paying for a reblue to get a BSA M Challenger restored?

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Hi David, and also a nice gun to start with!.....your description of the rust, without seeing the gun, is hard to advise, but, if it is light, say from damp storage, It maybe worth buying some extra fine grade wire wool, and using a good light oil, give it a VERY gentle rub on the affected area, checking and wiping with tissue or clean cloth often....sometimes this will remove the worst of the rust, and leave the blue intact, with just "spotting" which is hard to see unless you have a close look....you may have a nice suprise!.....if the rust has eaten in deeply, then you have to remove metal to the depth of the rust penetration and reblue, which is a £50 plus job...so its well worth trying this method first....do a google search for "removing rust from gun barrel"...you will get lots of hits with good advise also....have fun with it, thats what its all about!

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Yes it is worth doing, I had a Challenger a few years ago and had it reblued at SFS and it came back perfect, wish I never sold it, do it man.

Oh and if you do ever decide to sell it PLEASE let me know first as I miss my one so much.

Pete
    Last edited by look no hands; 20-12-2008 at 08:00 PM.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Bsa

You could do with a foresight hood. It gives a nice appearance to the rifle.
    Freedom needs a soldier.

Quote Originally Posted by cambrai1917 View Post
    You could do with a foresight hood. It gives a nice appearance to the rifle.
    i have one

So have I.
    Freedom needs a soldier.

A good deep wipe down with oil on cotton wool is all it really needs. Stop further rust and use nothing that will remove any existing blue. Quite a scarce rifle as BSA didn't make them for long.

If you are going to use it again then it really doesn't need to be perfect. Collectors are in two minds about restoration and come down more on the side of leave it alone. However, recent rifles, from 1980's onwards, really do need to be in as close to mint condition as posible to hold a premium value, but any reblue is not original. The exception are Venum and such custom rifles which have a higher value. A mint in box Chalenger would make over £250 mark, a lightly used one probably £200 and a rough one £140 which is high for the period.

Enjoy it.

Thumbs up BSA Mercury Challenger restore

Very good point by Muskett!
    Freedom needs a soldier.