Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BSA Standard Date???

BSA Standard Date???

Hello fellow anoracks

I have a Bsa Standard in .177 serial No. T35392
    It has a pistol grip stock with BSA impressed in the stock, a 3 hole trigger block and the No. 1 by the loading tap.

This is not identifiable with Mr Hillers book 3rd Edition.

Has anyone any Idea of model and date????????

Regards Mike

Hi Mike,

I thought all T series were in .22.... Quite possible you have a bitza...do you know any history of it?

Quote Originally Posted by mikewareing View Post
    Hello fellow anoracks

I have a Bsa Standard in .177 serial No. T35392
    It has a pistol grip stock with BSA impressed in the stock, a 3 hole trigger block and the No. 1 by the loading tap.

This is not identifiable with Mr Hillers book 3rd Edition.

Has anyone any Idea of model and date????????

Regards Mike
    Possibly a transitional rifle Mike? But as my friend hwvixen points out, it should be in .22 cal so could be a bitsa.

According to Mr Knibbs there were 35,397 "S" prefix Standards made up to the end of 1935 and on 1st Jan 1936 the improved "T" model was launched. I'm fairly sure the numbering started all over again because I have a "T" Standard in the 1100s. But is it possible that yours was one of the very first "T"s tagged onto the end of the "S" model numbering?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I Suppose it could be a bitsa rifle coz I have no idea of it's history.

Just from the serial number what should it be????

Why is it stamped No.1 then Danny..? Weird...I think the back/trigger block's been changed at some time...

Quote Originally Posted by hwvixen View Post
    Why is it stamped No.1 then Danny..? Weird...I think the back/trigger block's been changed at some time...
    Yep that must be a possibility I guess.

Is the rifle 45.5in or 43.5in roughly Mike? If the front end of it is a .177 cal CS you would expect it to be the shorter of the two if it's contemporary with the trigger block. Unless it's one of the earlier long version CS's from the 1920s, which are quite sought after.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Which means...?????????????

I'M not really up on these!

Mike

Quite likely a "trannie"...possibly from new...as intimated by young Danny.BSA were known for using up any parts sitting around.. Anyway Mike you have an interesting old beeeeza there.

The "T" series had grooves on the trigger and the top of the breech was flat, among other changes.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Has a flat on the loading port, no groves on the trigger, 3 hole trigger block with trigger adjusting screw, push button underlever and high sights as in the cadet major.

Shoots beautifully!

Regards Mike

Mike, I also have a 177 T prefix, will dig it out and post pics....

Edit: Just checked ...it's an A prefix...sorry!
    Last edited by Prewar; 08-07-2009 at 08:13 PM. Reason: got my alphabet mixed up

You've started it now Mike...as long as it shoots nice & you enjoy it...thats what counts..might have guessed that Prewar would be loitering...

Quote Originally Posted by hwvixen View Post
    might have guessed that Prewar would be loitering...

I echo what has been already said, that the rifle has had an alternative trigger block fitted at some time in its 73 odd year history. As all trigger blocks/ and other parts are readily interchangable with one another, it is quite common to see rifles fitted with a wide variety of replacement parts.I have a .22 CS (club standard) model ( which should in fact be .177!!

In fact once the guns went out of production in 1939, local gunsmiths often fitted whatever parts they had available to keep these old guns running. It is part of the magic of collecting these 'old timers' to see the endless variation that is out there.
    The important thing is does it shoot accurately, if so enjoy it and dont get too hung up on the 100% originality of it.

In fact BSA themselves have offered a ' replace your trigger block' service in the past. You could trade in your plain trigger block for one that had been milled out and had the No.12 aperture sight fitted as an upgrade. BSA even allowed you money off the cost of the number 12 sight and block, if your original block was in good order, alternatively they returned the original block back to you as a spare. Now thats what I call service

Lakey

BSA Standard

Take a close look at the "T" and you might find that it is an "L" . I also had a "T" Standard which I could not identify and under a magnifying glass could see that this was a badly stamped "L"...

Mike95