Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Better than contemporary offerings?

Just been out with a practically new 26 year old Vulcan Mk2 (bought from ducatti - thankyou) and I have to say it was great.

I was shooting freehand standing at coke cans from 30 ~ 45 yards - hitting the nearer ones regularly. I was snap shooting so the limitations of the trigger were much lessened.

So maybe there is equally something about the Omega!
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post
    So maybe there is equally something about the Omega!
    Oh yes indeed, as the Omega is basically an improved and better finished Vulcan (the Ghia version of the Vulcan if you like ), using better quality components and finishings etc .

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Ha ha ha. Yep, imo the Webley Omega is the best British standard production-run range of break barrel rifles ever manufactured, and (this'll see me calling for me tin hat to avoid the flack ), is as good as either of the FWB Sports I've had (127 .22 and 124 .177 ), and heaps better than any of the sub 12 ft.lb HW80s I've had, too . Got a major soft spot for all things HW35, too, I might ad, but again, the Omega, in my book, beats all of 'em hands down . Right, I'm off to me bunker . Atb: G.
    Gareth-as a regular reader of the earlY to mid 80's Airgun mags, I hankered after the Omega myself Only had the opportunity to shoot one back in the 80's and I was suitably impressed

I do honestly believe the HW95 is the best Break barrel rifle available-although I have used a particularly nice Venom custom shop tuned Longbow
    Never go off half cocked....

All lies matter

The best out of the box out of production rifle I have is a Park 91. My Omega does shoot very well but it still needed a tar and lube as it twanged bad.

Another, obvious, good'un that I should have kept was a HW77. Its still made so is it modern or old hat? Rifles made earlier than 1980's and I struggle to get anything to clover out beyond 25m. They may be beautifully made/engineered but they can't match the modern stuff for tack driving. The BSF's I had were good but not good enough to keep. Older rifles were excellent for the job intended; but not now.

Having said that there are not many modern guns any better that those of the 80's. We are talking spring powered here. I would like to try some Air Arms and see if they match my better 80's rifles. They should but I wonder if they will?

The Omega has the same barrel release and catch set up, as on the Anschutz LG335 (I actually own the very LG335 .177, that Webley used in their R&D dept, with papers of provenance, to crib said design brief from ), and iirc, the Omega is fitted with a Walthar barrel as standard as part of the Ghia-style upgrade mentioned above . My Omega is a carbine in .177, and even when standard (am about to fit Venom internals to it as part of its 20,000 shot service), imho, was miles better than my straight from the box HW95 (but I agree, it is a close call ). Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    I was getting excited then, thinking it was the mythical great British Break Barrel, but only with a German Barrel -as usual !

I have a feeing my model 52 sidelever which came from the Webley auction had been in bits a few times by Webley's R&D too......

Are you going to DIY your Omega, or give it to V Mach ?
    I know Mr Pope senior likes Omega's
    Ha ha ha. Yes I agree, the best of British break-barrels do tend to rely on the Teutonic for their pellet twisters, don't they . Got the stuff for the service sitting here and am off down to see our Baz with it all next week, as never having dismantled that style of rear safety before, don't want to learn how the hard way, by breaking it, so will see it done by Baz (who is an excellent gunsmith), so as to guarantee all goes to plan.

Very interesting to note what you say about your Mod.52, too by the way. Any similarity between the side lever mechanism as used by Diana on the Mod.52, versus that of the Osprey/Tracker/Viscount ??? If not, wonder what Webley were planning (if they were planning something new however, what ever it was, guess that now, we will never know )? Atb: G.

You missed ! These

How can ANY of the above recoiling springers fit into this category ! ( And I have had most of them )
    And those that , Only make 6 Fpe,

Lets look at the lineage, Sheridans were out in the Early 1950,s
    They are also responsible for our 12 Fpe limit, ! They could outpower any of the above, Made of brass ( None rusting ) & were recoiless, They have been made for over 50 years, Virtually unchanged, And are virtually indestructible as well, ( Did I mention Cheap )
    This " Unobtainable power " Unavailable in Europe, Cost, Light weight, None rusting, And the BEST of all, In .20 ( Probably the best all around calibres ) Allied with the Williams Peep make this a formidable adversary in all of the above aspects.
    Just so you forget ! Did I say Beautiful, I meant to
    Pic-

Quote Originally Posted by View Post

I'd much rather that good companies like Hull & RUAG got their cut, and the Germans keep pumping out world beaters than see things go out of Europe A popular perspective people tell me
    ... and a perspective I whole-heartedly share .

Here are my short list of rifles that are better than a lot of modern stuff and no longer made: BSA Cadet (its small for youngsters), BSA Centenary (best Airsporter ever, if only for looks); BSA Challenger; FWB Sport MKII; Webley Vulcan MKI (cheap, powerful and small); Webley Omega; Original 45 (a good one, with the earlier trigger, can be every bit as accurate as a HW77); BSA Superstar/Golstar (very, very good rifles); any Park. Is the Anchutz 335 still made?

The last thing I miss is the perfection of finish to Theobens as seen in the SLR88.

I'm completely biased of course, as the list were, mostly, the common best of the 80's; but then they did deliver and were on the whole good value for money.

The same problems remain:
    The Power house: the industrial spring remains the cheapest energy store, far cheaper than a gasram, and less energy sapping than a pump.
    12ft/lbs restrictions that ensures the pellet remains in the barrel far too long for the good of accuracy. Smoothness of the action and shorter barrels.
    Quality of barrels have improved so any further improvements lies in the pellets, which are already pretty good.
    Triggers equals what you are willing to pay.

Most of the above have been answered by PCP's.

gedfin u have a point here mate, My Sheridan Siver streak and williams peep site is a rifle i know would never sell from first shot, suprmley elegant design.

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewareing View Post
    I have a mint Webley Mk3 and I don't know what the fuss about these rifles is all about, personally I don't like it.
    I'll do you a massive favour by removing it from your sight forthwith.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

So what are the best springers for accuracy?

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    So what are the best springers for accuracy?
    Imo, break barel-wise, the FWB Sport, Original Mod.45, Webley Omega, Anschuts LG335, HW35, HW80, HW95, HW98, and Air Arms Pro Elite. Under lever-wise: Air Arms TX200, HW97, HW77, Webley Eclipse (MkII) BSA Superstar, and finally, the BSA Airsporter RB-2. Only one side lever worth adding here however, and that is the aforementined Diana Mod.52 . Atb: G.

to be honest

its a personal thing and everyone has different views
    but i wouldnt swap my fwb sport for ANY modern production springer
    and i HAVE had them all including every current AA and weiraugh model
    only thing came close were the webley longbow and tommy ( ones)
    so yes old ones were better / in my opinion

and gareth
    i have two omegas

Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post

and gareth
    i have two omegas
    ... Ha ha. You know it makes sence .