Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Bsa mercury 's' vs fwb sport

Ian

I nearly replied to this thread yesterday but I did not want to gloat.

The tiger striped stocked Mercury S is now a Keeper. Andy you have to catch Ian at the right moment. I know he has regretted selling me the rifle and has since managed to replace it, albeit with an inferior example.

Afterthought.
    Karyn with a Steyr, after the round she put in last week when she borrowed mine, I think we have found the next rifle to be leaving the Blackburn Bridge Vault.
    Last edited by Nocity; 30-11-2011 at 11:20 AM.

On underlevers, sorry they take forever compared to a break barrel to load. I had a Webley Elipse and though a fine gun it took as long as loading a breach loader. BSA's tap systems, or for that mater the Webley MKIII, never give that true confidence and its just one more operation. Probably why everyone changed to the HW77 open system... who was the first to sort that one out?

Its getting difficult enough to find mint examples and even more difficult to find one with some nice wood. One reason why mint is important as boring wood looks tatty with just a few marks. A stripey grained hand oiled stock looks great new or with history. But things being very competitive and price conscious then good/interesting wood was one of the first things to go. Boring wood after a strip and refinish still looks boring; not many can make them look half nice. Thats the rub of it... preferably hand rubbed.

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    Probably why everyone changed to the HW77 open system... who was the first to sort that one out?
    well BSA/Lincoln Jeffries had a patent for a direct breech loading underlever in the 1900s but never used it. The first use of the sliding breech is either Andschutz or..... The Chinese Lion Rifle..... I was in communicaiton with a bloke who had a Lion when his dad was stationed in Singapore back in the 50s.

The FWB was always the more accurate.
    The German guns of that era always had the edge in every department.
    Probably due to the wider choice of ammo becoming available.
    I mean the Wasp was about the best thing guns shot well'
    ...remember Lanes heavyweights.. ammo was terrible apart from wasps ,pylarms..and bulldogs
    I had the .177 S and it was a nice gun.
    Brits of that time seemed like BLMC compared to Mercedes.
    Nice..ok...but always a but.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

One point regarding the FWB Sport. In an earlier post I mentioned that a 'Sports auto safety could be made manual. I guess that by removing the front part of the safety slide the piston will not make contact with it and the safety would therefore be manual. Ive never actually done this because though I'm not a lover of safety catches I do try to keep my rifles as standard as possible. Has anyone ever done this modification?

ATB
    Ian [/QUOTE]

Anyone?
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Well John, lets see if the "Blackburn Bell Pirate" is willing to let that Steyr go. More chance of that than any of us fighting for the Walther 55!!!! I actually have that gun in my possession as we speak and have just applied a liberal coating of oil to the barrel and action, as so much recent use by us all is leading to slight oxidization towards the foresight which I have hopefully now slowed down. Strangely, the application of gun oil has altered Walters appearance into something very closely resembling a Mk2 meteor. I'm sure Ian wont mind, but the trigger pull has been affected as well. Still, least its not rusty anymore!
    Bye the way, how the hell did you manage to persuade him to flog one of his babies?

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    Bye the way, how the hell did you manage to persuade him to flog one of his babies?

Andy
    He threatened me with Oswaldtwistle.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk