Thread: lubrication

lubrication

Is it a good idea to put a drop of 3in1 oil on the top of each new co2 i put in my walther cp88,and should i be oiling it anywhere else and how often?

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    I think a drop would be too much each time, I would just put a slight smear on with your finger.

Regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

Cookie advised me to put a tiny drop of pellgunoil onto the top of every 2nd CO2. It's red stuff that comes in a little tube.
    I am a Lady
    AA S200 Mk3, Walther CP99, Soon to own a Webley Alecto

I read on an American site that Pellgunoil is just 20 weight non-detergent motor oil.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

BeerJam is offline Loser of the 2011 'Barn Door Trophy'.
    Headley, Hampshire (behind the graveyard!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam77K View Post
    I read on an American site that Pellgunoil is just 20 weight non-detergent motor oil.
    And someone told me that it is automatic transmission fluid, hence the red colour

Which brings me onto another lube question, that I should probably post in the general airgun section, but I will ask you guys anyway ;

Is there any reason not to use constant velocity joint grease - in place of an airgun specific moly grease - on the main spring etc of springers?

I have been using this stuff for ages and never had a problem, it makes the springs very smooth and quiet

Cheers, Mark
    Proud to be a member of; MVAC and Countryside Alliance
    "...... I'm good with the science, but rubbish with the gun "

Quote Originally Posted by tobe View Post
    Is it a good idea to put a drop of 3in1 oil on the top of each new co2 i put in my walther cp88,and should i be oiling it anywhere else and how often?
    3in1 is mineral based, isn't it? Wouldn't that bugger the seals?

Pellgun oil or something silicone based is best, I think. Like Adam77K, I've been told motor oil is OK but I've never tried it.

Exclamation Lube

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkormat View Post
    3in1 is mineral based, isn't it? Wouldn't that bugger the seals?

Pellgun oil or something silicone based is best, I think. Like Adam77K, I've been told motor oil is OK but I've never tried it.
    3in1 probaly ok for metal to metal surfaces, but i always use silicone oil just a tiny drop on the co2 powerlet to protect the seals, and have done since co2 came off ticket.
    ...mike...

Quote Originally Posted by BeerJam View Post

Is there any reason not to use constant velocity joint grease - in place of an airgun specific moly grease - on the main spring etc of springers?

I have been using this stuff for ages and never had a problem, it makes the springs very smooth and quiet

Cheers, Mark
    And I thought I was the only one using this stuff.

Phil

BeerJam is offline Loser of the 2011 'Barn Door Trophy'.
    Headley, Hampshire (behind the graveyard!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil G View Post
    And I thought I was the only one using this stuff.

Phil
    Welcome out of the closet Phil

I bet, like me, you were keeping quiet about that, until now

Cheers, Mark
    Proud to be a member of; MVAC and Countryside Alliance
    "...... I'm good with the science, but rubbish with the gun "

Quote Originally Posted by BeerJam View Post

Cheers, Mark
    CV grease works OK for me too. I suspect that an "airgun specific" moly is simply a standard industrial moly grease in a fancy package and with an equally fancy price.

Re. "real" spring tar, Rich from Mich says:-

"Spring tar is black and real sticky it's made by Lubriplate and it's called Gear Shield extra heavy, this is what I and also Maccarri sell as spring tar. Over here it's only 5 bucks for a 10.5 oz tube. It's made for the open spur gears on punch presses."
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

And THIS is what Jim Macarri says. I tend to believe him. Also, it's auto trans fluid that's recommended for Co2 guns, NOT motor oil.

http://www.airrifleheadquarters.com/...age/251484.htm
    Weihrauch B&C HW95K, B&C HW35K, BAM B26-2 venoman custom, QB78 DL custom.
    You ain't so big, you jus' tall, tha's all.
    http://ukchineseairgunforum.myfreeforum.org/index.php