Thread: HW45 Power

HW45 Power

Hi,

I bought a new HW45 .177 pistol about a week ago. I'm not sure how many pellets I have shot but I would guess at least 250. I know that it will take more than that before it stabilises.

When testing it with my Combro it seems to be averaging about 4.1 ft/lbs fully cocked with no difference when using RWS super domes or AA fields. This is lower than I was expecting, I thought it would at least be 5 ft/lbs. I know that springers tend to go up from new but this seems a low starting point.

What are other HW45 owners getting from theirs?

Cheers

mine started off at 5.5ft/lbs but has now settled at 5ft/lbs

Mine is 3ft/lbs on half power, 5ft/lbs on full.
    www.hwownersforum.freeforums.org

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    My .22 is still running at just over 5.5ft/lbs and it's over 30 years old
    Cracking engineering the HW45
    Nick

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by idlefrog View Post
    Hi,

I bought a new HW45 .177 pistol about a week ago. I'm not sure how many pellets I have shot but I would guess at least 250. I know that it will take more than that before it stabilises.

When testing it with my Combro it seems to be averaging about 4.1 ft/lbs fully cocked with no difference when using RWS super domes or AA fields. This is lower than I was expecting, I thought it would at least be 5 ft/lbs. I know that springers tend to go up from new but this seems a low starting point.

What are other HW45 owners getting from theirs?

Cheers
    Could yours be stuck on the lower power setting?

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

My 177s had about 200 pellets through it, and it runs at 4.9ft/lb with superdomes!

John.

My Silver Star HW45 in .22 is between 5.5-5.8 ftlbs dependent on pellets.

Had it about six months and put approx 4 tins through it.

It definitely sounds like mine is under powered then. I might run it through the club's chrono as it is tricky on the Combro and I get some bad readings, but I think I have had enough to know it is just over 4 ft/lbs.

I guess it doesn't really matter when shooting targets and it might mean the recoil is less, but I suppose the lock time is greater with a slower pellet.

It definitely is not stuck on the low power setting as I can select that by half cocking and is much less powerful.

Are these things easy to tune yourself? I have had my AA TX200HC rifle appart many times. This looks more of a challenge though.

Smile Ratgunner

Have had my .22 for about 3 years and it runs at around 5.6 but my Club does pistol comps nowadays so around 7 or more new HW45's have appeared most of them in .177 they all seemed to run a bit low until a couple of thousand pellets had gone downrange and most had their triggers adjusted for weight,
    They also seem to like heavy pellets like Lazadomes, everyone is well pleased with them,
    They will reach right out to fifty yards, nice guns,

ATVB,
    Bernard.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by ratgunner View Post
    Have had my .22 for about 3 years and it runs at around 5.6 but my Club does pistol comps nowadays so around 7 or more new HW45's have appeared most of them in .177 they all seemed to run a bit low until a couple of thousand pellets had gone downrange and most had their triggers adjusted for weight,
    They also seem to like heavy pellets like Lazadomes, everyone is well pleased with them,
    They will reach right out to fifty yards, nice guns,

ATVB,
    Bernard.
    You're talking cartridge pistol ranges there, Bernard! WOW! I want one!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

BigEars Guest
    I chronoed mine (0.22) at the club, I wasn't brave enough to use my combro, it was doing 5 ftlb

hi mate

what range are you using it at??

for 10m, that is plenty - accuracy is far more important - if you up the power, the muzzle flip might ruin your accuracy. I run my pistols at 500fps (not HW's) and that is plenty

ATB

Phil
    Last edited by big_phil555; 21-10-2009 at 03:43 PM. Reason: typos
    AAS200T.177 & S510SL .177. FWB P70(diopter), P70 FT(Big Nikko) Steyr LP10, LG110(Big Nikko), LG20(diopter) . The gun is deadly accurate - shame about the user

Collieman is offline Has a Parsnip shaped like an amusing "Thingy"
    Chronoed my 1994 .177 yesterday, 5.1ftlbs. Happy with that

Luke

hi my .177 runs at just about bang on 5ftlbs but that is with good old eley wasp pellets which it seems to prefer its the newer model about 8 months old but not had much use