Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Views on the New Webley Alecto

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    Sorry to have to correct you big fella, but the HW40 comes in .177, .20, .22 I've had all three, and i heard a rumour there's a .25 barrel as well, though this could be something Nick has knocked up in his lunch break. The HW45 comes in the same flavours.
    shammo, I humbly apologise That'll teach me to check my facts before posting
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it

Quote Originally Posted by shammo View Post

I disagree, by the way
    You can disagree all you want but there is no argument in the face of cold, hard facts.

Just have a ganders at >>>This<<<

The results in the SSP category speak for themselves.

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Guys,
    I always get sucked in until I remember the favourite phrase of a friend of mine

Don't Feed The Trolls

ATB,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    You can disagree all you want but there is no argument in the face of cold, hard facts.

Just have a ganders at >>>This<<<

The results in the SSP category speak for themselves.
    Nice one Mike, the proof of the pudding and all that.
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    I still disagree with your empirical proof, I deny your reality and replace it with one of my own!

- hang on -

- got the wrong hat on there -

Good Call Mike!

- That's better -

ATB,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Wink Alecto !!

Interesting thread chaps, and just to upset German only pistol pundits for SSP I shoot a Beeman you know that Trash inferior Chinese copy of the Hw40, and during the winter months shot the Airgun-tec pistol comp & won it. No I ain't one of the (ex-spurts), but i am consistent & sometimes lucky i accept some of the guys had great pistols & some are better shots than me, but my pistol just ain't that bad & will shoot it against allcomers. Bling & funny sounding names don't make you shoot straighter...mike...

I don't usually bite, but you're very full of yourself for someone who's new to pistol shooting. Personally when new to any field I keep my mouth shut and my eyes and ears (and mind) open, but hey ho that's just me I guess.

It's almost touching that you care so much about my opinions.

I made my points, you don't agree.

You made yours, I don't agree.

You think you thoughts are more important than mine... Whatever.

I disagree, by the way
    Others including myself made their points and backed them up with evidence and the voice of experience. You just made assertions, presenting opinion as fact, with nothing to back them up. I don't think my thoughts are more important than anyone's, but the views of those with experience in any field have to outweigh the views of those with none. It's not personal it's just how it is. In a discussion on particle physics, whose opinions carry more weight: mine or Stephen Hawking's?

And I see no specific rebuttals to any of my points. Steyrs have bling finishes: does that indicate lesser design? Try downloading chairgun and seeing exactly how much difference 3fps makes to your trajectory. The thick end of naff all, that's how much.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Adam77K View Post
    I don't usually bite, but you're very full of yourself for someone who's new to pistol shooting. Personally when new to any field I keep my mouth shut and my eyes and ears (and mind) open, but hey ho that's just me I guess.

Others including myself made their points and backed them up with evidence and the voice of experience. You just made assertions, presenting opinion as fact, with nothing to back them up. I don't think my thoughts are more important than anyone's, but the views of those with experience in any field have to outweigh the views of those with none. It's not personal it's just how it is. In a discussion on particle physics, whose opinions carry more weight: mine or Stephen Hawking's?

And I see no specific rebuttals to any of my points. Steyrs have bling finishes: does that indicate lesser design? Try downloading chairgun and seeing exactly how much difference 3fps makes to your trajectory. The thick end of naff all, that's how much.
    This is utterly ridiculous!

Have I stepped into your own personal club or something? I thought this was an open forum, and more specifically this thread inviting "VIEWS" on the Alecto.

Can you highlight a single statement I made stating that the HW40 is definitively better than the Alecto?

NO you can't because I haven't, but given your responses you'd think I did!

I have simply expressed my initial views on the Alecto's build quality, AS I SEE IT, my disappointment at any price increase, and tried to demonstrate my points with examples.

I haven't once made a single definitive statement that requires scientific evidence to back up, or yours or anyone else's approval as to my credentials.

The one fact I did state, I carried out myself; clamping my HW40 and firing off a bunch of shots to challenge just how much better the Alecto could be, and even then I posed that as a QUESTION.

If I think the Alecto looks cheaply made, then that's that!! Who on earth are you or anyone else to try and take a superior stance and state that what I perceive is incorrect?

The attitude of you and a couple of others here is downright rude, arrogant, and utterly childish, and you seem to assume some sort of hierarchy exists where newcomers have to bow to your superiority?!?!

It seems that if you see something you don't like you think you have the right to get personal, make accusations, and simply attack!

If you think I am incorrect, then grow up and agree to disagree!!

Talk about a MOB!!!!
    Weihrauch HW40 (.177), Weihrauch HW45 (.22), Weihrauch HW45 Silver Star (.177)

Talking

Interesting thread this! I've owned an Alecto since December and am well pleased with it. Yes, like the HW40 it will put pellets through the same hole at 10m.

Build quality, Weirauch or Umarex it ain't (although comparable to the HW40, both being plactic!), however for a sub 200 quid gun, you wouldn't expect it to be! I suspect plastic has been utilised because it is a big gun, and would be far too heavy/badly balanced in full metal (although the outer skin is re-inforced by a metal sub frame). Remember this is a full power pnuematic pistol, it's cylinder is way bigger than an HW40, Gamo compact etc.
    Right I'm off to watch the match...

This is utterly ridiculous!

Have I stepped into your own personal club or something? I thought this was an open forum, and more specifically this thread inviting "VIEWS" on the Alecto.

Can you highlight a single statement I made stating that the HW40 is definitively better than the Alecto?

NO you can't because I haven't, but given your responses you'd think I did!

I have simply expressed my initial views on the Alecto's build quality, AS I SEE IT, my disappointment at any price increase, and tried to demonstrate my points with examples.

I haven't once made a single definitive statement that requires scientific evidence to back up, or yours or anyone else's approval as to my credentials.

The one fact I did state, I carried out myself; clamping my HW40 and firing off a bunch of shots to challenge just how much better the Alecto could be, and even then I posed that as a QUESTION.

If I think the Alecto looks cheaply made, then that's that!! Who on earth are you or anyone else to try and take a superior stance and state that what I perceive is incorrect?

The attitude of you and a couple of others here is downright rude, arrogant, and utterly childish, and you seem to assume some sort of hierarchy exists where newcomers have to bow to your superiority?!?!

It seems that if you see something you don't like you think you have the right to get personal, make accusations, and simply attack!

If you think I am incorrect, then grow up and agree to disagree!!

Talk about a MOB!!!!
    It's all very well having an indignant hissy-fit, but what I want to know is did you consider the results I posted a link to and if so, what are your comments?

How do you explain the Alecto's prodigious scoring ability and obvious accuracy given your views on build quality, and given your admission that you have never actually shot one?

I'm extremely interested in your views upon the above, given that you have consistently aired your misgivings about the Alecto's build quality and price on this forum since October 2009.

(Pages 7 and 8 if anyone cares to wade through it)

The results clearly show that your initial concerns were misgiuded and ill-conceived; to continue on your dogmatic course is an indicator of a closed mind.

I await your comments.

I own an Alecto and I can honestly see Shammo's points.

Yes the trigger finish quality is terrible. Mine had a seam of sharpness running down the side of it where the finish wasnt right.
    It doesn't feel like a well made gun either, but that is the problem with plastic finishes.

However it is a very accurate pistol.

I don't have a HW40 but do have a HW45, which does feel much better made.

I see the Weihrauch as long term and the Alecto as something more short term.
    I can see problems with spares when Webley goes bust again as previously mentioned.

Wind your neck in mate! It is an open forum and you are most welcome to join the discussions, but if you don't like your opinions being robustly challenged you're on the wrong forum. And still you have not answered any of my or Mike's specific points.

You have formed an opinion of the pistol based purely on your own preconceptions plus what you've read on the internet. That's fair enough actually. So we have attempted to show you that you may be mistaken based on our experience with it. But you just don't want to hear a different opinion do you? Faced with reasoned arguments that go against your views you whine that I'm "rude, arrogant and utterly childish", and we're a mob!

Who on earth am I to state what you perceive is incorrect? Well sorry, but if I think anybody is incorrect I will say so and back it up to the best of my ability. If this is hard to swallow, then maybe the Internet isn't for you.

Oh and please point out where I have got personal, made accusations and "simply attacked"! Because I can't see it.

Reality check: am I being unreasonable here? It's just debate; if you disagree with my points then post a reasoned rebuttal, as I've done for the points I disagree with.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Hi shammo

Just re-reading some of this and while it's just internet debate, I can see some of this comes across more confrontational than intended, so here's an olive branch. We need to welcome as many new shooters as we can.

If you have a free Saturday on the 3rd of July, get yourself over to Leicester and visit the Pistol Gala at Redhill Revolvers.
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=457921
    You can meet a lot of us: me, MikeB, Nick (magicniner) and others. We're not ogres, in fact we're quite friendly really (if recently fed). You can have a shoot with my Steyr (and even my Alecto ) and others.

Regards

Adam

Edit: added link
    Last edited by Adam77K; 18-06-2010 at 09:13 PM.

Hi shammo

Just re-reading some of this and while it's just internet debate, I can see some of this comes across more confrontational than intended, so here's an olive branch. We need to welcome as many new shooters as we can.

If you have a free Saturday on the 3rd of July, get yourself over to Leicester and visit the Pistol Gala at Redhill Revolvers. You can meet a lot of us: me, MikeB, Nick (magicniner) and others. We're not ogres, in fact we're quite friendly really (if recently fed). You can have a shoot with my Steyr (and even my Alecto ) and others.

Regards

Adam
    correct apart from MikeB,i saw him looking up the local canal bridges...heard him mutter ''like a posh estate these des res bridges''

sol1821 is offline I'm back from resting, and I have the Jaffacakes!!
    We're not ogres,
    is Paul not coming??
    Particle physics gives me a hadron.
    Sliced bread.
    The best thing since ripped up bread.