Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kids Air pistol Advice

Kids Air pistol Advice

Thinking about getting my 9-year old lad an air pistol. He's a sensible boy, tall and strong for his age and will only be allowed to shoot supervised.

Can anybody recommend a suitable pistol?

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    That's a difficult one, would he prefer precision or fast action?
    If you want the best of both worlds the Umarex Smith & Wesson with a 6" barrel is hard to beat.
    Regards,
    Nick

ive owned most co2 pistols,,if you want both single and double actions,,go for the gamo p80 everytime,,very light,,easy to use and shoot,,ive also rescently got a crosman c11,,fires only bbs in double action,,excellent quick firing,,brill trigger and lightweight,and over 70 shots per c02

my uncle has just bought the new webly alecto for his kid of similar age had a go the other day and its a real easy gun to shoot its 3ftlbs at one stroke 5ftlbs at two stroke's and 5.5ftlbs at three stokes the first stroke is easy enough for a young gun to cock and it comes in a nifty little case aswel

if it is single shot - defo have a look at the Alecto - excellent value for the money
    AAS200T.177 & S510SL .177. FWB P70(diopter), P70 FT(Big Nikko) Steyr LP10, LG110(Big Nikko), LG20(diopter) . The gun is deadly accurate - shame about the user

So many to choose from!
    Do you have a budget?
    The Alecto does look to be very good, if a little bulky.
    There's also the Weihrauch HW40 or a Beeman clone?
    If he fancies a CO2 pistol then how about one of my favourites, a Crosman 2240?

if its a single shot then i'd suggest the gamo compact,decent sights and good trigger....whats your budget?

Unless you want Co2, I'd steer clear, a friend of mine bought his son a Co2 pistol but got fed up of the constant pestering for new bulbs, not to mention the price of them.

I'd go for a single shot pistol, but which one depends on your budget, if you can afford £170 for a Webley Alecto then fine, but if you don't want to spend that much there are a few options. The Baikal IZH-53 pistol is very good value, accurate, well made, but cheap and will last a long time with reasonable maintenance but it needs to be stripped, cleaned and relubed even if bought new, luckily that's not a difficult job at all. If you have, or know someone with a lathe, who can knock up a simple spring guide, they're even better and are very accurate pistols, the trigger and barrel are excellent for a pistol in that price range.

Failing that you could do much worse than get a second hand Webley Tempest, little to go wrong with it and will last a lifetime with reasonable maintenance.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    He'd probably be best learning to shoot with a single shot - it will force him to concentrate on his sights, rather than just blasting away - and for that purpose an HW 40 would be hard to beat.

Accurate, lightweight, no recoil, "real gun" looks.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

I'd get single shot too, and like Rob M says, SSP or spring is probably best.

However, I'd choose a rifle as a first gun for a child. It's easier to keep a rifle pointed in a safe direction, and hitting the target is easier, and hitting the target more will boost confidence more and help maintain his interest.

Crossman 1377 pump up.
    Single shot, adequate sights for a beginner. 3 pumps enough for paper punching, ten pumps for full power and anything in between. Recoilless, robust and cheap, less than £100 new.
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it

i will go with jim on this one ,if you buy him a springer the recoil will put him off for life . a single stoke phneumatic isthe best bet, co2 is fun but expensive,unless you bulk fill , had a gamo compact which was great fun and accurate,recommended , a bit of advice do not disagree with a southern frock coat wearing gentleman [jim mc arthur ]only kidding jim[i think]it can lead to a very unpleasant lead infusion.if you can find a cheap fwb 65 you and your son will be fighting over it forever..cheers greasemonkey[no i wont sell mine never]
    Last edited by greasemonkey; 05-01-2010 at 11:01 PM.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Personally I'd recommend an HW40...
    1) cheap to buy.
    2) good quality & will last well.
    3) easy to sell and get a good price if you decide to trade up.
    4) good enough trigger to reward good technique and even make a decent enough starter target pistol should he wish to try it later.
    5) no consumables to buy and no co2 to worry about being left in the gun for long periods.
    6) powerful enough for putting holes in cans and card.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Personally I'd recommend an HW40...
    1) cheap to buy.
    2) good quality & will last well.
    3) easy to sell and get a good price if you decide to trade up.
    4) good enough trigger to reward good technique and even make a decent enough starter target pistol should he wish to try it later.
    5) no consumables to buy and no co2 to worry about being left in the gun for long periods.
    6) powerful enough for putting holes in cans and card.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

[QUOTE=greasemonkey;4022738]i will go with jim on this one , a bit of advice do not disagree with a southern frock coat wearing gentleman [jim mc arthur ]only kidding jim[i think]it can lead to a very unpleasant lead infusion [QUOTE]

Well, my opponents do have the choice of swords or pistols: but then, I used to be a fencer!

Jim