Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MTC Viper 4x16x50

MTC Viper 4x16x50

Picked up my scope from BAR the other day.

First impressions when opening the box were the amount of extras that was also contained within it! These included a decent set of 30 mil mounts, a sunshade, large parallax wheel, battery for the IR, decent instructions and a set of allen keys.

Optics are frankly amazingly good for a scope within this price range, and it comes as no surprise that the manufacturer produces optical components for more well known Japanese manufacturers. All of the scopes moving parts operate smoothly with just the right amount of resistance to the touch. Finished in matt black and with the unique "posi click"and "knock safe" target turrets, I look forward to using the optic in the field and to gazing at the scopes party piece, the specially designed reticle. Like many of us who have had in the past had to put up with mill dots the size of a small lemon, this particular picture is refreshingly well designed in my opinion. It is made up of "christmas tree" type graduations at the bottom of the sight picture that I think will be genuinely useful for target bracketing purposes rather than for windage. The actual centre is a "floating" cross that can of course be illuminated to a varying degree as is currently the norm. The difference with this is that the central cross remains fully floating which will allow the target to be observed to a higher degree than is possible normally, again in my opinion. In addition, the small graduational lines represent mill dots @ 10 mag which are fully described within the included manual. The reticle alone was majorly responsible for my buying decision and I am not dissapointed !
    Over the decades I have owned many scopes. Ok, I have never had the money to buy a Zeis or a Schmidt, but have possessed numerous"mid range" none super scopes as I suspect have a large proportion of shooters on an only average income!
    The Viper represents for me a high quality scope that is even attainable for an average bloke currently on his arse financially as I currently am. However, I have not regreted this purchase and consider it as one of my wisest buys. It most deffinately wont be going the way of its forebearers and end up in part-ex alley. This one is a keeper!
    If you are in the market for a high quality none ridiculously priced scope, take a close look at the MTC range. I guarantee that you will be impressed (and no,I dont know Gary Cooper!)
    Andy

I got one exact same just before christmas, i have to agree they are excellent scopes. really clear/crisp picture. Extra sunshade useless on breakbarrels though

Ettie ket is offline If it bleeds we can kill it!
    i purchased mine second hand without the side wheel, objective cover, spacer and sushade missing, phoned mtc and the spares were only £18.00 posted plus the scope is good quality. thumbs up for me
    [I]Beretta 682 Gold E, Winchester x2 s/a (9 shot), Sbs the basque, Cz trap, Cz .22lr Silhouette 16 inch Synthetic sirocco sm11 , Cz .17 hmr varmint 16 inch sak mod mtc 4-16 x50ir. Tikka t3 lite with t4 mod .223 plus 22/250 on ticket.

mtc vipir

I totally agree, I have had 3 of these excellent scopes and am looking for another, they are brilliant, very clear and represent excellent value for money

Hi,
    I have two of these scopes both purchased around three to four years ago. I agree optics where very good for the money when new, both mine have now got lots of fine black spots on inside of glass.

My impression of these is reasonable price and good glass(when new) unfortunately don't seem to last. I have had 100% failure rate in my experience's with the Viper's, compared to a 5-15 x 40 Bushnell Legend I purchased around the same time(second hand) this is as good as new.

I did find the Vipers a very nice scope to use on airguns the reticle one of the most useful, unfortunately I expected a longer service life. Maybe I have been very unlucky with mine but would not purchase another.

Martin
    Sako 85 Varmint stainless .308win-Tikka T3 Varmint .223rem.-Sako Quad varmint .17hmr- Beretta 682 gold E--Browning T-bolt .22lr-Anchutz 1417.22lr-Benelli M2 12g 7+1- Marlin 1864c .357mag- Daystate Airwolf .177- Daystate Mk3 .20

Quote Originally Posted by Pepperdog View Post
    Hi,
    I have two of these scopes both purchased around three to four years ago. I agree optics where very good for the money when new, both mine have now got lots of fine black spots on inside of glass.

My impression of these is reasonable price and good glass(when new) unfortunately don't seem to last. I have had 100% failure rate in my experience's with the Viper's, compared to a 5-15 x 40 Bushnell Legend I purchased around the same time(second hand) this is as good as new.

I did find the Vipers a very nice scope to use on airguns the reticle one of the most useful, unfortunately I expected a longer service life. Maybe I have been very unlucky with mine but would not purchase another.

Martin
    So what happened when you phoned MTC, did they repair the scopes, give you new ones ?

I'm guessing they told you to go and do one as you have been left with unworkable scopes? Very bad business

Hi,

Martin
    i had mine when they 1st came out, i too have found that black spots are on the glass, which makes the image a little crappy, however i still highly rate them

Quote Originally Posted by rickysdaystate View Post
    i had mine when they 1st came out, i too have found that black spots are on the glass, which makes the image a little crappy, however i still highly rate them
    ..Hell, MTC must be ducking responsibility..what happened when you called them?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary C View Post
    ..Hell, MTC must be ducking responsibility..what happened when you called them?
    i havent bothered calling them i didnt realise it was a folt, i just thought it was the quality of the glass, what would you reccomend?

Quote Originally Posted by rickysdaystate View Post
    i havent bothered calling them i didnt realise it was a folt, i just thought it was the quality of the glass, what would you reccomend?
    Think he means to give MTC a call.

Oh and Falcon suffer the same issue too.
    Purbeck Field Target Club.

Isn't rocket science..

If you get a faulty scope..call the manufacturer. All sorts of things can happen. When you have sold x thousand scopes you will have coating problems, internal paint problems, turrets falling off..pretty much everything.

If somebody prefers to keep a scope then knock quality so be it, but we do prefer to correct issues. Every MTC customer should have a scope they are happy with.

Why do people come on here slagging manufactures off, if you have a problem give them a call, i have read a lot of stuff on this forum and have nothing but praise for the work gary and sammie do.
    I have just sold both my vipers so i can try out the new mamba lite range of scopes, when you find a company who have a proven record of customer care and quality items, then thats who is going to get my business.

all the best,
    mark, a very happy mtc customer

Hi,
    I am not "slagging" the scope's as you crudely put it just merely making a statement of fact. As I said in my original post apart from very minor issues a very good scope when new. Only after four years use it has developed spotting on glass, apart from Hawke I have not had this issue with any other scope.

After owning both my Vipers for around four years I did not think any warranty would still apply. Both my scopes come from very well known stockist that only gave a 12 month warranty with the product.

As the term of ownership had been so long I assumed it was a fault I had to live with, or budget for replacements.

If I were to purchase replacements has this fault been corrected with the newer scopes?

Martin
    Sako 85 Varmint stainless .308win-Tikka T3 Varmint .223rem.-Sako Quad varmint .17hmr- Beretta 682 gold E--Browning T-bolt .22lr-Anchutz 1417.22lr-Benelli M2 12g 7+1- Marlin 1864c .357mag- Daystate Airwolf .177- Daystate Mk3 .20

My dealings with Mtc

My scope took a knock a few weeks ago i sent it off to Mtc they had a look and it was fine, i told sammie to put an invoice in the box when they returned it.....no invoice in box
    Good customer service and thats why i have two Mtc scopes on my rifles
    Thank you Mtc

ps Gary/Sammie If you just forgot to put invoice in box please send me bill

Hi,
    I am not "slagging" the scope's as you crudely put it just merely making a statement of fact. As I said in my original post apart from very minor issues a very good scope when new. Only after four years use it has developed spotting on glass, apart from Hawke I have not had this issue with any other scope.

After owning both my Vipers for around four years I did not think any warranty would still apply. Both my scopes come from very well known stockist that only gave a 12 month warranty with the product.

As the term of ownership had been so long I assumed it was a fault I had to live with, or budget for replacements.

If I were to purchase replacements has this fault been corrected with the newer scopes?

Martin
    There should have been a manual in the box. I wrote it. There is a crappy website. I wrote it.
    Both state the warranty terms clearly.

I am not one for giving advice, but if it were me I'd be a reading