Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: MTC Viper 4x16x50

merlin

am i right in thinking these are good for night vision ad on thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    Picked up my scope from BAR the other day.

First impressions when opening the box were the amount of extras that was also contained within it! These included a decent set of 30 mil mounts, a sunshade, large parallax wheel, battery for the IR, decent instructions and a set of allen keys.

Optics are frankly amazingly good for a scope within this price range, and it comes as no surprise that the manufacturer produces optical components for more well known Japanese manufacturers. All of the scopes moving parts operate smoothly with just the right amount of resistance to the touch. Finished in matt black and with the unique "posi click"and "knock safe" target turrets, I look forward to using the optic in the field and to gazing at the scopes party piece, the specially designed reticle. Like many of us who have had in the past had to put up with mill dots the size of a small lemon, this particular picture is refreshingly well designed in my opinion. It is made up of "christmas tree" type graduations at the bottom of the sight picture that I think will be genuinely useful for target bracketing purposes rather than for windage. The actual centre is a "floating" cross that can of course be illuminated to a varying degree as is currently the norm. The difference with this is that the central cross remains fully floating which will allow the target to be observed to a higher degree than is possible normally, again in my opinion. In addition, the small graduational lines represent mill dots @ 10 mag which are fully described within the included manual. The reticle alone was majorly responsible for my buying decision and I am not dissapointed !
    Over the decades I have owned many scopes. Ok, I have never had the money to buy a Zeis or a Schmidt, but have possessed numerous"mid range" none super scopes as I suspect have a large proportion of shooters on an only average income!
    The Viper represents for me a high quality scope that is even attainable for an average bloke currently on his arse financially as I currently am. However, I have not regreted this purchase and consider it as one of my wisest buys. It most deffinately wont be going the way of its forebearers and end up in part-ex alley. This one is a keeper!
    If you are in the market for a high quality none ridiculously priced scope, take a close look at the MTC range. I guarantee that you will be impressed (and no,I dont know Gary Cooper!)
    Andy
    i have one of these and it is a great scope range finder make life so easy

It was interesting to read Gary's comment that the Viper is not that good for range finding. If I had a criticism about this scope it would have been that. I have therefore just purchased a Taipan which I assume will be much better. It has one of the new reticules so I'm going to have to work out what's what when we next get a calm evening - but that's the fun of having a new scope isn't it?

The Viper may go on rifle no 2 but my torch can't "see" over the objective lens unless I get someone to build me a taller clamp.

The Taipan is my third MTC scope, I had a Mamba before hand. For the money I really rate them and on every occasion I have had to make use of customer service I have had exemplary service.

I seem to remember that there was a lifetime warranty if you are the first owner. Was that my mistake or does it still apply?

Warranty is 5 years. However, if you have kept the scope as the first owner for more than 5 years we're not going to see you short

are these mtc vipers anygood chaps for ft/hft

If you want to do HFT you need a small objective and max x10 mag. MTC do a 10x44

If you want to do FT you need a large objective and high mag - x32 minimum

2 different scopes.

IIRC Bushnell do a 4200 Elite 8-32x44, which may work for both

Brilliant value for money scopes.
    Daystate Renegade .177,Daystate Forester LE .22,Daystate Huntsman Classic .177,Daystate Huntsman Regal .177,Daystate Bullpup 2000 .177,Weihrauch HW45 Custom .22,Weihrauch Silverstar .22,Weihrauch HW77K SE .22,Weihrauch HW35E .22.

Following my initial review, and having used the Viper for a few months now, I can only confirm my initial comments that I made a wise decision in purchasing it.

Like thousands of other keen shooters, I have used the scope both for field work and HFT competition and still feel impressed every time I look through its first class lenses. Having checked out the competition, and for that matter scopes costing three or four times the initial outlay of the Viper, I still reckon that it must be one of the best all-round scopes that is currently available, certainly within its price range and probably significantly more.

Thats only comments concerning the scope. What you also get is a first class service from a company that genuinely looks after its customers, allowing the strong user base to remain loyal to its products as new models are introduced. Bottom line, in my opinion, is first class optics for sensible money.

I have yet to check out the "Taipan" myself. However, even though I have yet to glance through its lenses, I know that it will be another quality product and as such I am in the process of saving up for one. In saying that, I also quite fancy a "Mamba".

Why pay more for less?

Good shooting folks,

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

I'm having trouble with 'white out' with my 6x24-56 Viper at lower light levels. I've tried moving my head around and cupping the viewing lense to reduce light coming in from behind and even standing in a darker room to reduce light levels further. But I still find the the 'sweet spot' for viewing is so small that you are concentrating more on keeping your head still and being tense that the shot do you make is not relaxed and ends up being missed.
    Does anybody else have this problem and have a solution for this or should the scope be looked at to see if there's a problem with it ? I have two other MTC's a Mamba 4x16-50 and another Viper 4x12-44 both of which I have no problems with.

I'm looking to put another scope on a BSA Ultra for HFT any suggestions ?

Wryka

If it was me Id go for the "Mamba". Fancy one of those as well as a "Taipan".
    Andy

mtc viper 6-24 X 56

How do you guys rate the mtc viper 6-24 X 56 ? Thinking of buying one. Any other suggestions ?

Thanks

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Quote Originally Posted by airsport View Post
    How do you guys rate the mtc viper 6-24 X 56 ? Thinking of buying one. Any other suggestions ?

Thanks
    It is an excelent scope, I have one on my bunny bashing rig.

That said, it is quite a large scope, and Gary did at the time suggest that for hunting I may consider something smaller with a lower mag...say 3-12x44 ish.

Anyway, it is one hell of a scope, for the money or otherwise.

I also have 3 of their Mamba lites, which are excellent little scopes that wont upset the balance of a rifle (particularly a light one).

I also fancy one of their new viper connect scope I will be buying one as soon as they hit the country.

Looks like it will have all the atributes of the old connect, and none of the few faults....win win

Info is on their website.

I dont really think you can go wrong with MTC.

Sadly,one of my lites had a defective windage turret. Sammie replaced it immediately without so much as a...well...nothing

At the end of the day, Gary and Sammie do everything but actually build the things, so as far as they know the scopes have been tested and are of the expected quality...I guess a friday afternoon job can get in anywhere

Try one
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

mine got dodgy IR,patchy lense coating and had no sun shade,didnt realise until way after I brought it,i dont use IR that much,no not a dig at MTC,more like my scope has been least of my worries in past year!

Did you buy it new?

Can anybody tell me if these scopes work well with the Pulsar challenger ad on night site
    CZ 455 .17 HMR & .22LR 16" Barrels & Laminated Thumbhole stocks
    MTC Vipers 6x24x56