Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MTC Taipan 4-16x50

Is there a difference in the glass between the Viper and the Taipan?
    B.A.S.C | HW100Tuning KT250bar+reg+tune .177+4-16x50 | HW95.177 +4-16x44 + Paul Short Stage 4 & Trigger Tune | TX200HC.22 + 4-16x44 | HW97KT.22 + 4-16x44 + Paul Short Stage 4 & Trigger Tune

Quote Originally Posted by chrispti View Post
    Just a quick question if I may, are these scopes first or second focal plane?

Thanks

Chris
    Does nobody know

2ND unless I am mistaken

Thumbs up

Well drove down to Northallerton Shooting supplies today to have a "look" at the Taipan(well that's what i told the missus).Anyway when i got my hands on the Taipan i was very impressed with the build quality,finish & look of the scope.

The model i opted for 4-16 x50 with the AMD reticle on a look through the optics through the full mag & parrallax scale the view was very sharp & bright with the sunshade extended & retracted.

The rest of the package was of similiar quality,double strap mounts & sidewheel which all adds up to very good value for money.

Whilst i was in a spend free frame of mind i also "treat" meself to the MTC laser rangefinder which is also a quality item.
    Now just need the weather to get it's act together so i can get out with the HMR to get all my new toys working together.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary C View Post
    Will be a while Chris, we have 200 AMD and 100 SCB in the Taipans and when they are gone that's going to be it until June. We lose 3 months because of Chinese New Year
    do mtc do a scope called a mamba i know they do the viper and taipan.this is a genuine question thanks phil.

boff180 Guest
    Finally got chance to try my 6-24 AMD Taipan today after receiving a month ago (thanks Garry and Sammy).

What a cracker at 50 metres, the scope was very easy to zero and is very clear.

The only thing I noted is that IR buttons are a little to easy too press... the IR turned itself on in my gun bag which was a surprise when I looked through it.

Nether-the-less, full marks for the taipan!

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by philtheferret View Post
    do mtc do a scope called a mamba i know they do the viper and taipan.this is a genuine question thanks phil.
    yes sir

They are second focal plane thank goodness

I would like to know what glass is actually "better" than these scopes as I have used and owned Leupold/Zeiss/S&B/Swarovski/Pecar/Khales/NF/EB/and so on, there is a difference with the European glass and it may be resolution but I cannot say I found it "better" as the Taipan is just as clear as any of them and compared to a S&B 8x56 (with Taipan on 8x) it lasted just as long at low light

Now there must be a difference as some of the other scopes I have owned cost up to 4 times as much but in all honesty, (apart from the bragging value of owning a top quality model ) there is no way on earth the difference is worth the price tag involved, I can hit just as much and score just as high with MTC scopes as any others I have used, and I have owned just about everything I know of thats available (apart from IOR which I must admit blew me away!)

So its down to each persons eyes as far as I can make out, I still use Leupolds on heavy recoil rifles as its got nice safe eye relief And the Taipan sunshade can move under hefty recoil

I put my 4-16x50 Taipan on my HMR on Saturday and spent two days out rabbiting, superb scope for HMR, but as I aim off (dont use dial-in as cant be bothered) I prefer the SCB as it has more ballistic lines for windage and I needed quite a bit at the range I was shooting them!

No hint of any "whiteout" I have heard spoken about, might get it if your eye isnt in correct place, I have had that on £1600 scopes!

What a great looking scope too, the tele-shade has grown on me too, didnt like it at first and was going to remove it but as long as your rifle isnt a larger heavy recoiler I think its cute
    Baz

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/

I don't think there is any great difference between MTC glass and that of much more expensive scopes. When I talked about "white-out" earlier, I was referring to the situation where at max magnification if the eye is not perfectly in line the image goes a bit hazy and blurry with a white / brown tinge to it. That may or may not be correctly referred to as white out on my part. My only thought is to have the image fill the view when you look down the scope but I think that is more to do with eye relief. I have just been targeting the FAC Rapid in with the Maba Lite and it's awesome. Also, cleaning the barrel inside has tightened up my groups (must remember to do that every 200 shots with Bisley Magnums).
    B.A.S.C | HW100Tuning KT250bar+reg+tune .177+4-16x50 | HW95.177 +4-16x44 + Paul Short Stage 4 & Trigger Tune | TX200HC.22 + 4-16x44 | HW97KT.22 + 4-16x44 + Paul Short Stage 4 & Trigger Tune

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary C View Post
    Top man but not stoopid me old son
    Ah ####...just driven over my Viper....bugger!!!

Looking forward to tryingteh AMD out.

The really nice thing is I am not keen on Mill dots as I use all .177, so all of my scopes no bar 2 have SRB on them.

There being no numeric difference between the AMD and SCB there will be no problem hopping between the 2.

I will of course wait for the rest of you to do the testing before I buy a taipan...need a bloody good excuse too having just bought 3 mambas, and anpther MTC scope in the mix
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

After blowing my budget on a new .308 I need to find an interm scope and was thinking of the MTC Taipan 6-24 with the AMD reticle. anyone here use it on a .308 any info would be great.

Thanks,

Fish
    Aim small - miss small

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Quote Originally Posted by fish slapped View Post
    After blowing my budget on a new .308 I need to find an interm scope and was thinking of the MTC Taipan 6-24 with the AMD reticle. anyone here use it on a .308 any info would be great.

Thanks,

Fish
    Nope, never used one on a .308...never used a .308...a 7.62 however

Joking aside Bud, MTC have tested and rated them on .50 BMG, but that said if they will cope with my TX200 they will be fine on .308

I want a taipan now....pooh

I know, I can eat the Viper...diminished responsibility...
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Neither of us used it on a .308, just a rimmie outdoors, but here are a couple of links that may be useful:

http://www.riflesunlimited.co.uk/showarticle.php?id=26

http://www.riflesunlimited.co.uk/showarticle.php?id=27
    Born To Be Mild.

Using on .308

Yes I have one on my .308 Remington. Both brand new. Had two outing with it so far and yes VERY good! In fact the scope beats the hell out of the spotting scope that someone took to the range!!

I went for the 6-24x56 with the SCB reticule.

Thinking of getting another one for my .243!!

Quote Originally Posted by fish slapped View Post

Thanks,

Fish

Caterham ,Surrey, Even the "Stig" has been there!!

Taipan

Had a look , on a .22Lr . I must have another look again at the reticule again
    me being a specky bloke looking through someone elses set up, thought it was a bit to fine . I did like the chunky turrets.
    BSA Ultra .177 M/Shot / Daystate Mk4 .177
    course I am over 18 , if I was 18 again I would rejoin !!
    "What are you expecting The band of the Grenadier Guards!" - ZULU