Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: MTC Mamba Lite 3-12x44 SCB

hi guys if you want to fit a large side wheel to the mamba here's how
    Cheers Lloyd

anyone compared the Mamba lite with a Hawke Tactical 10x42 ?
    I'm looking for an upgrade for my Hawke Airmax SR6 which I use for hft

Peter

Objective outside diameter

Just wondered if someone could tell me the o/d of the objective on one of the mamba lites. I am thinking of one for my MFR, it needs to clear the shroud, and sit in the mounts without using risers.

many thanks Mike.

The tube has an o/d of 53mm. You may need to rotate the objective lens cover a touch, otherwise count on adding a further 4mm for the lug on the cover. The tube clears my standard 16mm barrel by 5mm. I would suggest that you have a look through the Mamba alongside other similarly-priced scopes before parting with your cash.
    Last edited by severnsider; 16-06-2010 at 07:20 PM.

O/d

Thanks Severnsider, I will check that and go from there.

atb Mike.

I bought a 3-12x44 Mamba Lite from the MTC stand at Kelmarsh and I am very happy with it mounted to a HW99s.

I have been trying to configure Chairgun to the drop I have been achieving shooting at 10x, this is assuming true mil-dot at 10x (I know assumptions are dangerous things, then couple that with inexperience & incomplete knowledge.....). For the figures to work in Chairgun I have to set Chairguns magnification to 12x.

Anyway, apparently true mil-dot is 3.6inches at 100yrds, so I drew up a card with a line 3.6" plus a bit extra and set it up at a lazered 10yards at the Club so in theory 10mil-dots should cover the line. It didnt at 10x but it did at 12x so well done Chairgun. My 10 mil-dots at 10x cover 3.8" and I have now set up Cgun to the new figures.

I'm not querying the quality of the product as I love it but just wondered with any scope how do you know if 10x mag on the zoom ring is 10x?

Has anyone else measured their mil-dot recently? :-)

Regards
    R/m

How to waste 10 minutes.....

Hi Roc-Man. This is probably a useful exercise for anyone to do if they use a variety of scopes. These are my findings.
    On the basis that 2.5 mil dots should cover 2" at 22 yards (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_mil) I checked my 3-12 x 44 Mamba Lite and found that the x10 setting was correct.
    It was also correct on my Leapers 3-12 x 44 (far crisper than the Mamba Lite) at x10. However, a Besonder Optisch 6-24 x 50 was correct at x7.5 mag. A JSR 6-24 x 50 was correct at a mag of x9.5.
    As an aside, the popular AGS Sapphire 3-9 x 40 uses mil dots that are spaced at twice the distance of a "normal" dot and when taking this into account, mil dot spacing was correct at x9 mag as stated in the manufacturers instructions.

How do you know if it's really magnifying by the amount indivated on the mag ring? I have no idea. I took a photograph of an item at the end of the garden, then took a photo of the same item through the scope thinking that if I printed the photos then measured the item in each picture, I should get an idea of the real magnification. Here goes. Item height (unmagnified) 3.9mm. Item height viewed through 'scope 29.5mm. Actual magnification about x 7.6. Indicated magnification x10. So I'm really no wiser!
    Last edited by severnsider; 26-06-2010 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Added text

Hi Severnsider
    I've confirm your figures that 2" is 2.5MDots at 22 yards (same as 1 MD= 3.6" @100yrds).
    I've now drawn up a range grid (with a spare 10mins)with the axis being 0.5MD's to 5MD's in 0.25 intervals on the horizontal and targets from 15mm to 45mm in 5mm intervals on the vertical. You just have to guess the size of the target now!. I used this for the first time at an HFT shoot at Kibworth last Saturday and got a 46 for a 3rd in the recoiling class (HW99s) which included 2 donuts for being stupid.
    The range chart got me within about 4 ftat distance (1ft for near shots) which is fine for most of my shots. Once I have understood the bluring better ie the depth of field, I think we can tighten up the rangefinding further and use the Mamba Lite to its full potential.
    Last edited by Rocman; 02-07-2010 at 07:13 PM. Reason: yards should have said ft

Range Chart

Roc-Man - sounds like a good score to me! Come on then, let's have a look at your range grid/chart. I can't visualise it myself, so any chance of posting a diagram or photo?
    Cheers,
    Mike

Mike
    I'm not at my usual PC as now starting my hols, but I've knocked up a very quick example (in another spare 10 mins) to demonstrate. I think Iv remembered the formula correctly. Using the grid extract below - you size the target as being 1MD (the horizontal xmas tree lines are great for this). You then need to estimate the size of the target. 15mm are fairly easy to spot. Using the grid it is 16.4 yards away. On my full grid I've calculated it in 0.25MD intervals which is quite easy to measure with the Mamba. Obviously check the range against other indicators eg level of blur, previous targets etc and fingers crossed no wind!

0.36 =1MD at 10yards
    convert to " mm target 1MD
    0.5906........15... 16.4
    0.984..25.. 27.3

Regards R/m
    Last edited by Rocman; 03-07-2010 at 05:45 PM.

Just got my lite 4-16x44 SCB in the post. Its absaloutly fantastic. The optics are many times better than the simmons pro hunter i have. Really, really pleased!

I'm sorry but I found the mtc mamba lite 4-16x44 a very poor scope. Compared to a Bushnell legend it has absolutely rubbish optics. Ok the "bling" was nice (the scope covers and low turrets)... but honestly mine lasted 3 weeks.

No doubt you contacted MTC & reported the problem? Then of course you would know just how good their after sales service is?

ATB

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by terrierforce View Post
    I did notice that mtc scopes are not very well reviewed on the Rapid owners web-site.
    There are a few agendas I think...