Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hawk 10x42 tactical (First Impression)

Hawk 10x42 tactical (First Impression)

Hawk 10x42 tactical from a HFT perspective ( First Impression)

In the box:
    Scope, small tools, lenscloth, 2 screw on endcaps, pointer ring, mini sidewheel, and sunshade.
    On the Range:
    Let get the bad bits out of the way. Mildots are not true. At first I thought it was a metric scope but it says yards on the turrets. Mildot 1 is true (which is all I am interested in for HFT). The further down the mildot chain you go the further out they are.
    Setting the parallax for HFT shooting ( I chose 25 yards) You can get the crosshair to move out of a 40mm kill at 10 yds by moving your head. So head position for shorter tartgets is critical.

Now the good bits:
    Optics are very bright. The skeleton reticle is good especially for rangefinding. Reticle has dots (•)for full and little butterfly thingies ( ►◄) as half markers. It also has ladder type lines at the base of the ret so you can use this to measure targets
    I think what makes this scope stand out is the depth of field. It’s very very good ( not like the last hawke I tested ) with parallax set to 25 yards I could see and hit the dreaded 15mm reducer at 13 yards as it was quite clear, still blurred but the killzone was discernable on a very splattered target. 8 and 10 yard 40mm were not a problem at all. 20 to 40 yards crystal clear and 45 very slight blurring
    The day of test was overcast so couldn’t point in the general direction of sun to see whiteout effects.
    I will be using it for HFT’ing at the weekend so will update when I have used it in anger. But so far it looks like hawke have got this one nearly right and it’s very promising indeed.
    This could be a keeper
    Last edited by poison dwarf; 27-02-2010 at 12:33 PM.

Update

Used the scope in anger today and I am still very impressed. Weather condtions varied from overcast to rain to bright sunlight. I could see into dark areas very clearly and didnt lose the ret once. It didn't fog or steam up when it got a soaking either
    With the sun at 30° behind my shoulder and shining on my rear lense, again it was very clear, also with the sun above and directly above i had no whiteout effect ( the provided sunshade was fitted) I haven't tried it without sunshade yet though.
    I am still impressed with the brightness of the scope and the reticle which works very well. Head position for the shorter shots is still critical though as you can get a lot of movement of the reticle. All in all I'm very happy with it and its staying on my Anschutz which is my HFT gun.

Get a look through one soon you wont be sorry
    Last edited by poison dwarf; 27-02-2010 at 03:43 PM.

My two boys have this scope for HFT. The scopes seem to work pretty well as you mentioned the glass is clear, apparently they use Hawke's top of the range 'Frontier' lenses and by and large there hasn't been an occasion that the scope has let them down (they are very inexperienced). They have no issues with normal HFT and used them at Quarry (extreme) again no issues. They may not be a 6500 Elite or even an EB sniper but they aren't that price either. One thing my boys find they can get crystal all the way up to 45 and little blurring at the closer ranges, maybe it's the eye relief thing, it does seem very important on the new Hawke scopes. One thing is for certain I won't be buying them new scopes to replace these anytime soon.
    Last edited by NoWayNoHow; 04-03-2010 at 06:46 AM.

deano is offline Crack!.......Wheeee........Thup
    i put one on my HMR, i think it's an awesome scope for the money, i've seen scopes that cost £100 more fail to offer the depth of field and clarity this does, and the package itself looks fantastic too, the sidewheel is a good size for me as i'm a hunter not HFT'er so medium size is better.

stick it on some sportsmatch mounts and they are hard to beat!

If it is half as impressive as the 4.5-14x42 version I have on my hummer it will be a cracker, build quality etc is excellent, bright sharp optics, very good reticle with a very usable illumination, not sure about the necessity of the Box though

Thumbs up

I was really impressed with the 4-14x42 tac, but didn't get chance to compare it side by side against the fixed 10x - wasn't available at the time. Probably get chance tomorrow at Kelmarsh.

I'm using the Frontier this season, but from what i've seen would add a tac to the collection without hesitation.
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/
    Staffordshire Custom Rifles - Maverick & MTC Connect

Quote Originally Posted by Mutt View Post
    If it is half as impressive as the 4.5-14x42 version I have on my hummer it will be a cracker, build quality etc is excellent, bright sharp optics, very good reticle with a very usable illumination, not sure about the necessity of the Box though
    it's got an even sharper image due to it being fixed mag, so it is truly astonishing!

tried them both side by side, found the 10 x fixed to be crystal clear and a little crisper at range.

but they are both superb for the money!!

Quote Originally Posted by NoWayNoHow View Post
    My two boys have this scope for HFT. The scopes seem to work pretty well as you mentioned the glass is clear, apparently they use Hawke's top of the range 'Frontier' lenses and by and large there hasn't been an occasion that the scope has let them down (they are very inexperienced). They have no issues with normal HFT and used them at Quarry (extreme) again no issues. They may not be a 6500 Elite or even an EB sniper but they aren't that price either. One thing my boys find they can get crystal all the way up to 45 and little blurring at the closer ranges, maybe it's the eye relief thing, it does seem very important on the new Hawke scopes. One thing is for certain I won't be buying them new scopes to replace these anytime soon.
    yes the frontier glass is used for these.

hawke tac 30

just received mine 10x42 fixed very impressed with the build quality and with the crisp bright optics going to try out on range tomorrow

not sure what to do with the pointer though
    I've strove all my life not to be a millionaire and been very successfull

i left mine in the box, no need for it, looks sh*te too.

Thats what the box is for!!!! For keeping all the extras supplied that you will never use

After recently obtaining one through a raffle I decided to give it a day out on top of my mk3. It is extreemley bright and gives a good image throughout the ranges I shoot for hft. I do not like the side wheel as its a right pain in the arris to put on, but overall it seems a good scope. I guess proof will be in shooting with it next suday at the nefta hunter.
    WHERE EVER DUTY AND GLORY LEAD.

STEYR 110 HP HAWKE TAC 30.

I have used one of these for a little over 6 weeks now and Its a keeper for sure, nice and clear between 13-35yds and just start to blurr at 40yds. Good for those who use the blurr for ranging. Build quality is top notch and glass to hard to beat for the money. I shot a reasonable 99 at the Worlds and a 54 at the Nefta Hunter at Hull (Both good scores for me, lol.)
    I use my box for my sandwiches, little use for anything else.
    Buy one with confidence.
    FX Streamline STX/Aeron. MTC Connect 3-12x24 SCB

Well finally got to shoot the hawke on a course today and put a solid 55 in. I found the scope to be clear and bright as we shot in the woods and clear at the desired ranges. I had the px set to blur anything over 42 yds and this worked a treat to identify the long targets. I did however have to try and keep my head in the same posistion to avoid any px error but I am well chuffed with my first outing.
    WHERE EVER DUTY AND GLORY LEAD.

STEYR 110 HP HAWKE TAC 30.

From what a could see when I had a look today it's a cracking piece of kit Mick....very clear optics which I think possibly have the edge over your EB Sniper mate.
    Time will tell but nice shooting today anyway buddy

Dave
    AA TX MK3/Self tuned/ Mamba Lite
    AA TX MK2/VMach tuned/MambaLite
    Hollins Green HFTC