Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ELEY WASP ... what is the story?

i`ve found sub 30 meters wasps suit my old stingray down to the ground
    and i get good grouping but further out its accupals all the way
    how does it work? i don`t know but it does

Quote Originally Posted by firestarterUK View Post
    shame about the old eley wasp pellet. yes back in the 60's 70's these pellets were about the best you could get. just opening the tin was an experience. they were just sooooo shiney, they looked as if they were made from silver, highly polished and a very distinctive smell. bsa used them and re brand3d as pylarms, again no difference an excelent pellet and if at the time you bought a new bsa rifle such as a Meteor, you would have also got a small tube of 100 pylarms..

what a shame they have gone.
    Well said.
    You are so right.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Why are the new ones bad? Are the dies worn out, or is there a lack of skill in their making, or is Quality Control not applied? Or are the old dies worn and gone wonky?

Yes to a lot of what you said.
    Could be
    Cost cutting measures from a new company(i.e. we buy the credible brand and then skim it.
    The moulds could have gone, cheaper raw material used to cut cost or only cheaper raw material (inferior lead)only avialible!
    And a general lack of expertise lost over time.

Good evening, I bear bad news my friends

from me in El Mehico

The Wasp,

he is dead!

(He was alive two days ago when Iast had a looksee in the window of my local gunshop),

but now he has expired, he is el morte .

or Kaput!

as I tink you gays say.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Why are the new ones bad? Are the dies worn out, or is there a lack of skill in their making, or is Quality Control not applied? Or are the old dies worn and gone wonky?
    The pellets are totally different! They are not the same in any way, that is why they are so C**p.

Here is a couple of pictures I have posted on here before.

The two tins you need to look at are left and centre (with the Old original Eley Wasps in the centre) The pellets on the right are made by Champion (L J Cammell Ltd) in 5.56mm size, however are no longer available I dont think.

You will see that the tins look more or less the same and are designed to deceive people into thinking they are getting the same pellet.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL158.../320950031.jpg

The next picture shows the pellets themselves, with the original ELEY Wasps in the centre, and the Rothery Wasps on the left.

Notice that the new 'Wasps' are longer than the originals and the finish is both darker and poorer. I believe that the short profile of the original wasps and their superior finish and manufacture all lead to their accuracy. Also skirt thickness was greatest in the original wasps.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL158.../320950032.jpg

Any comments welcome.....

Lakey

bisley

Hi all,
    Just a thought, are the Bisley pellets going the same way.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    The pellets are totally different! They are not the same in any way, that is why they are so C**p.

The next picture shows the pellets themselves, with the original ELEY Wasps in the centre, and the Rothery Wasps on the left.

[/URL]

Any comments welcome.....

Lakey
    You are right, the only thing they share is the name, they aren't even made with the same equipment and they are certainly not the same design. For shame!

How can I find a batch of original ones then, sealed and untouched?

Have a read through this thread;- http://www.airgun-tec.com/index.php/topic,715.0.html

Chris.
    Far too many rifles & pistols to mention here.

Quote Originally Posted by cinstone View Post
    Have a read through this thread;- http://www.airgun-tec.com/index.php/topic,715.0.html

Chris.

Thats interesting if John Rothery Wholesale UK brought the Air Pellets
    manufacturing from ELEY Limited including the molds how come the pellets are not as good?

How much are the original Eley wasps worth i have a couple of sealed tins of 22. pellets?

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Amphlett View Post
    How much are the original Eley wasps worth i have a couple of sealed tins of 22. pellets?
    I paid £10 for the last tin of true Eley Wasp .22 pellets.

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

wasps have got bad over the years
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P
    A dedicated HW80 Fanatic and owner since 1986 to present.

Just shot the new 5.6 Wasps yesterday in my old mk3.
    They didnt do bad, but not nearly as good as the H&N FTT in 5.55.
    Their finish was kinda weird, not very well finished, but also very dull. At first I feard they oxidated but this wasnt the case.
    Very dirty pellets I think.
    ATB,
    yana

Ian, I reckon your last tin of Eley Wasp were manufactured down a chinese lead mine by mutant political prisoners.

Eley Wasp

Just bought two genuine tins of Eley 5.5mm Wasp at the Bisley Arms Fair for £5 each.

Thanks to this thread I knew I was getting the rights ones, excellent result.