Thread: Charging a Ruger Old Army with powder

Charging a Ruger Old Army with powder

I picked up the above yesterday. Very nice. A handgun at last without a silly attached piece of wire.
    Am going to feed it FFFg. Aim to start about 20gr, with a fibre wad and a Hornady 457 ball. I have an adjustable Pedersoli powder flask.
    However, the manual advises against charging the cylinder chambers directly with a powder flask. It mentions that a good way to pre-measure the powder is to weight them into medicine vials (whatever they are).

So the question is- what do you do to measure powder. And if you pre-weigh, what do you use to hold the charges? I want to extrect the maximum accuracy possible.

Ta

black powder

you are fine to charge the gun if is clean with the powder thrower ,after you have fired the gun because of the risk of flash back it is better to use small vials such as 35mm canisters or you can buy glass ones . you can get small funnel to help but if use sqaush the sides of the cannister it makes its own funnel .hope its of some help

go to that auction site and look for vials as they are cheap....personally i weigh my powder on a scale rather than by volume but its each to their own....as for accuracy..just experiment but you really need to have a constant grip each time and be real steady and follow through when you pull the trigger.....never works for me as i just like the smoke and the bang

I use a 44 magnum case with a wire(coathanger) handle soldered to the side of it about 4" long with a loop in it to hold , Also a small linbin the ones you use to put nuts and bolts in on a wall rack with another piece of wire across the top to use as a scraper ,Then what you do is use the 44 case as a scoop and scrape the neck of the case under the wire to level the powder off and put into glass vials with a plastic stopper.

Also I fitted Hogue contour grips to my ROA it makes a big difference.
    Last edited by acmsarh; 21-03-2010 at 06:41 PM. Reason: more info

Ruger grips

Can you tell me where you got the grips, I fancy some of those on my Ruger OA.

I got mine from South Yorkshire shooting centre,