Thread: Burris laserscope review

Burris laserscope review

I have seen requests for a review on the Burris Laserscope, having bought one recently, here is a basic review based on my own personal experience as a vermin hunter in which I’ve tried to be totally practical and constructive.
    The Laserscope body, battery cover and sunshade are all Aluminium so it is light but robust. It has standard height and windage adjustment, a 4-12 magnification ring, dioptre adjustment on the eyepiece, a dual function button for yards/metres and ranging plus an infra-red remote control.
    To use the Laserscope out of the box you will probably need a Weaver to 11mm adaptor which unfortunately raises the sightline approx. 15mm, I used a Guntuff one piece unit on my CZ452 in .22LR which still allowed ejection of cases ok.
    The optics are bright and clear for a 40mm objective lens. I zeroed the scope at 50 yards using a 2’ x 3’ x ¼” steel plate, the Laserscope enabled me to put shots through the ½” hole in the centre consistently so I knew the rifle was spot-on, not surprising as it can be used for rifles up to .50 calibre!!!. It has the Burris Ballistic Plex reticule which makes it easy to calculate the range indicated by the readout. At 7X magnification using Winchester sub-sonics the first mark down on the reticule aligns at 70 yards, the second 100 yards and the third at 130 yards.
    The Laserscope rangefinder is excellent and in daylight I have ranged objects from 20 – 800 yards although different lighting conditions and textures can affect the operation. Pity you have to power up and then range your quarry as this takes time and jumpy targets do get away sometimes. An instant “one touch” ranging mode which turns off after two seconds would be good. I bought it to use at night and apart from dry ploughed fields it ranges well on almost all terrains, so far I’ve made kills out to 110 yards. One problem is the bright display which lasts for 8 seconds after ranging, its ok in daylight but does glare at night and needs a dimming mode. The infrared remote control is handy but does not work reliably every time, I would prefer a hard wired unit, more reliable and less battery power used. The Laserscope draws around 1mA quiescent current so if the sight is not used for a long period it’s best to remove the battery. Unfortunately I can’t mount my Lightforce lamp now as the bracket won’t fit on the Laserscope body so an auxiliary rail would be handy.
    Apart from these few “niggles”, which I can easily live with, I have found the Laserscope to be very well made with good optics, robust mechanics, extremely stable, accurate and should be suitable for use on air rifles and firearms.
    Note: It looks as thought the Laserscope has been replaced with the Eliminator which is more expensive, has auto ranging which can only be used at X12 magnification and is designed for centre fire rifles. There appears to be Laserscopes still for sale in the UK so if you want one buy it soon.

Nice review mate Was reading up on these and for the price i think they are well worth the money
    Good deals: bbs members: ELMOR FUDD, daz hale,
    bigjob, MAD MARK, jack-attack, johnbaz, u.k.neil, jonr140, MishKING, DM80, oldskoolzzz, catman and lots more

Any dealers on here with too many of these on their shelves now the Eliminator is about let me know if you'll take not much money for one.
    For NV spotter and add-on videos, paste > some bloke night vision < into YouTube search bar

Dont think the Eliminator is in the u.k. yet (is it) i have been looking for it since last year

Ah - Dunno about that.

I have one of these allready (EDIT: original LaserScope), with a readout display fault. First the readout sort of moved up too far so that all I could read was the lower quarter or so of it, then it dissappeared alltogether.

As it was sourced in the USA the warranty is not valid over here. Be advised to look at the small print regarding the warranty - I can't find where I read about it but it's not three years if you grey import it to the UK.
    Last edited by some bloke; 05-04-2010 at 02:37 PM.
    For NV spotter and add-on videos, paste > some bloke night vision < into YouTube search bar

I'm not sure if the Eliminator is suitable for small game as the reticule is thicker than the original Laserscope, the auto ranging system is for Remington 17 up and only works at X12 magnification as it calculates on 100 or 200yd zero and 500yd drop, OK if you hunt Deer at long ranges. I contacted Burris and the scopes are not designed for use at night, hence no display dimmer.

Any idea of when they are coming in to the country ?

Smile Burris Eliminator

The Eliminator is in the UK, 8 where shipped to GMK, all where sold straight away, I got one, been on back order since Feburary.

Yes it is an awsome piece of kit, although not realy suitable for an air rifle, it is designed for daylight hunting, useing centrefire rifles. For deerstalking it is absolutly magical, put the aiming mark where you want the bullet to land, and you have one dead beast. Can easliy be used for small game, ie rabbits.